The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
It's not up to Dortmund alone, Lewandowski should be interested to move also. All the reports are pointing towards one direction only, that he has agreed to move to Bayern.

I know, I am well aware that there is pretty much no chance of him going anywhere exept Bayern, but Quasit said that there is no reason for Dortmund to sell...

I know, I am well aware that there is pretty much no chance of him going anywhere exept Bayern, but Quasit said that there is no reason for Dortmund to sell...

And there isn't because he's not willing to talk to clubs. Only place they could sell him to now is Bayern.

And there isn't because he's not willing to talk to clubs. Only place they could sell him to now is Bayern.
But we were talking hypothetically, if he hadn't set his sights on Bayern. To quote yourself earlier...
Well if Bayern were out of the picture there are not too many clubs better than Arsenal in need of striker. Biggest competition likely would be from Chelsea.

Though I'd expect Real make way for Lewandowski if he was willing to go and Utd also by selling Rooney.

He hasnt agreed to move to Bayern. But he is refusing to talk to anyone else.

Dortmund are going to pay him 2m euros over the year, to top up his wages. Not because they have to for an contractual reasons, but just because they want to. His wages are 20k euros a week.
Why do they want to top up his wages? Where's the logic in that?

Because I think they want to keep him sweet, and they can point to that as good faith since they recognize his next contract is going to be a big pay day. He was picked up cheap and has blossomed, and it's a shame that Dortmund have been raided a little recently and he can't stay and see the project advance. Pep's Bayern is going to be a force for sure, and perhaps he just sees it as an obvious move if he wants silverware even if he has to wait a little.

Because I think they want to keep him sweet, and they can point to that as good faith since they recognize his next contract is going to be a big pay day. He was picked up cheap and has blossomed, and it's a shame that Dortmund have been raided a little recently and he can't stay and see the project advance. Pep's Bayern is going to be a force for sure, and perhaps he just sees it as an obvious move if he wants silverware even if he has to wait a little.
It's a shame about Dortmund's stars leaving, especially for so little in Lewandowski's case, but they'll cope. They always seem to.

There is a difference between a club not wanting to sell a player to clubs, and not being able to. I am sure Arsenal would love to sell Park Chu-young, but they can't. Dortmund would want to sell Lewandowski (Which is what you said they wouldn't) but they can't.

... Oh ffs. Can't we just sign him and stick him on loan somewhere?
What are the rules regarding work permit to loan them out? I know clubs can only sign non-EU players if they have played in over 80% of their country's games in the last two years, but I remember that I used to get work permits on FM for players who I'd then have to loan out.

There is a difference between a club not wanting to sell a player to clubs, and not being able to. I am sure Arsenal would love to sell Park Chu-young, but they can't. Dortmund would want to sell Lewandowski (Which is what you said they wouldn't) but they can't.

Dortmund never wanted to sell him full stop. They would at least listen abroad if price is right, but never to Bayern

Well yes. This is pretty much same situation we had with Fabregas. Only difference was that he was on long contract and Lewandowski isn't

Well I can't believe it's the same situation as Fabregas. Fab wanted to return to his boyhood club. I don't think Lewandowski loves Bayern that much. I would like us to get a CB or RB at some point. Having only 3 center halves is a recipe for disaster

Er, yes, Barca is Fabregas boyhood club, but they also have been kicking major *** at the time.

Similarly , after what Bayern did last year, the footballing world is split in two groups:

Group #1 has players who would love to join Bayern.

Group #2 has Messi, Casillas, Giggs and Zanetti.

Well I can't believe it's the same situation as Fabregas. Fab wanted to return to his boyhood club. I don't think Lewandowski loves Bayern that much. I would like us to get a CB or RB at some point. Having only 3 center halves is a recipe for disaster

But you have Squillaci and Miquel! lol

Er, yes, Barca is Fabregas boyhood club, but they also have been kicking major *** at the time.

Similarly , after what Bayern did last year, the footballing world is split in two groups:

Group #1 has players who would love to join Bayern.

Group #2 has Messi, Casillas, Giggs and Zanetti.

Surely there's a third group comprised of, um, Bayern players? ;)

Squillaci has gone Bastia and Miquel on loan at Leicester.... Can't even rely on then two quality players now

Blimey. Djourou's gone too IIRC. Can't make fun of all the surplus Arsenal defenders. :(

I heard a couple of rumours Sagna was going to be played at CB more regularly, with Jenkinson stepping up to starting RB and Bellerin coming up to be second choice. If that isn't the case, though, Arsenal definitely need another CB.

Blimey. Djourou's gone too IIRC. Can't make fun of all the surplus Arsenal defenders. :(

I heard a couple of rumours Sagna was going to be played at CB more regularly, with Jenkinson stepping up to starting RB and Bellerin coming up to be second choice. If that isn't the case, though, Arsenal definitely need another CB.

Yup exactly this, Sagna was looking very leggy and cannot cross to save his life (although has a good shot on him), yet Jenkinson has certainly made it a closer decision than when he arrived. Additionally the last season Sagna has been terrible at beating his man, which has made Jenkinson a better option for his much superior crossing since whilst neither of them are particularly quick, Sagna did seem to play well with Walcott for a time on the right wing. The crosses may be especially useful with Giroud actually able to do something with them since he seems to thrive on the sort of ball he can out muscle the defender and give it a wallop and hope for the best; now while he's no Benteke I do think he will get into his stride in his second reason and start putting himself about a bit. Sagna does however still read the game very well, which may be why he moved into the CB position. You're right about Djourou, he's at Hamburg, although not for much reason it seems since he's on a loan - presumably just to free up his wages. Gustavo can supposedly do a job at CB, so perhaps we arn't entirely up **** creek -if- that signing actually occurs.

I'm not entirely certain why we havn't bought a new keeper and instead are dicking around with the whole Suarez affair, I'd have much rather looked at a good left winger, a CB with some quality, a DM (which we appear to be getting to) & keeper - originally the intention was to go for Mignolet or Begovic, the latter having claimed 100% of his crosses in the league last season. That'd certainly be **** useful when it comes to reducing pressure on the defence. Presumably though he's irreplaceable, or Wenger is happy with the Fabianski/Woj combination of glimpses of brilliance with the occasional cringe-worthy display. Currently I'm more concerned with left wing/striker though, it remains to be seen what Sanogo can actually do.

Overall we've shipped out about 15 players either by their contracts ending, sold or them being sent on loan, so there's plenty of room in terms of wages freed up, a ballpark would be close to £25m per year saved on wages, current including Chamakh, Djourou, Arshavin, Gervinho, Squillaci, Denilson, Andre Santos and Frimpong + about 10 reserve team/youth team players who arn't good enough and have been released or listed.

****, there's a fire sale going on at Anzhi right now. We could do with Diarra (what happened to this ex-gooner anyways?) and Eto and maybe even Samba. I hold no hope that we would actually sign anyone though. It would be just like us to make botch of this transfer window.

Back