The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
You may laugh, but if Giroud gets injured, that's exactly what we're doing. We tried the false 9 thing before, and Gervinho has since gone, as has Arshavin - Park won't play for us, Bendtner has burnt his bridges and won't play for the club again (his words) and Chamakh has left..

So Sanogo up front is exactly how it might go :)

Podolski has been quite poor as lone forward so he's a no go. Only player who we can rely on if Giroud gets injured is Walcott. Sanogo and his injury history is also worrying.

Arteta out for 6 weeks. Rumours going that we are maybe resigning Flamini as he's been training with us since his contract ended with Milan.

Arteta out for 6 weeks. Rumours going that we are maybe resigning Flamini as he's been training with us since his contract ended with Milan.

tumblr_mcxvohBhKH1r6aoq4o1_400.gif

Who did we sign late on last year? Cazorla was even done at this point. Two years ago we did the deadline day deals and it took an 8-2 beatdown by United for us to really buy on deadline day. I sure as **** don't want a repeat of that this year especially with a NLD in August.

I think this is the season we actually fall out of the 'top 4', when it should have been the season we actually made a reasonably realistic push for the league with all the chopping and changing going on.

Don't agree at all Dlau.

Managerial changes are never easy and we have a very tight-nit bunch of players who in fact are class. Podolski, Walcott, Cazorla, Ox, Wilshere are all very very good and that's leaving some guys out. We just aren't deep. I expect Giroud to be a top 5 league scorer if we don't sign Suarez.

What the **** is going on there, you barely even have a bench at this point.

look at how much Tottenham have improved

? They haven't even played a game...I don't see how I'm suppose to "see" that.

But I'm sure buying as many big name players as they can and expecting results is the key to success (this ain't a video game).

It just seems that most estimations give between 70m - 150m in the bank, which if you consider player sales and freeing up wage space, may be somewhere of a middle value in actual fact.

For the first time in recent memory we've been able to offload a vast amount of **** players who didn't want to play for the club, so what does the club do?

Option A) Recruit scouted targets we've presumably spent 4-5 years scouting, considering it isn't like a scout hired all year is going to do much else but look at players who'd add to the club and we haven't spent lately. Reinforce the club properly, strengthen the weak areas and get some depth in the squad.

Option B) Try to blow a vast amount of money on a good, albeit racist and violent player.

o6bet.jpg

Last edited:

But I'm sure buying as many big name players as they can and expecting results is the key to success (this ain't a video game).

You can sell it anyway you want, but they have done exactly what they need to in the close season, and on paper look in far better shape than arsenal. Right now thats the only indication we have, but its not looking pretty for you lot.

It's probably more effective than just buying nobody, though.

Don't agree at all Dlau.

Managerial changes are never easy and we have a very tight-nit bunch of players who in fact are class. Podolski, Walcott, Cazorla, Ox, Wilshere are all very very good and that's leaving some guys out. We just aren't deep. I expect Giroud to be a top 5 league scorer if we don't sign Suarez.

Yes, we have a good core. But there is no way those players you mentioned can sustain end of last seasons form all season without succumbing to injury. Depth is precisely what we lack, and there doesn't appear to be anything happening regarding player recruitment.

Giroud will get better, I'm 100% confident in that. But he needs competition upfront, and Sanogo - bless him - surely hasn't been brought in to do that? He's injured anyway - fantastic - and needs time to settle and improve before realistically challenging for a 1st team spot. So if Giroud gets injured/loss of form/sent off, upfront we are so embarrassingly wafer thin its ridiculous. We shouldn't be in this position 3 days before season kicks off.

The best signing we could/should have made this season was a 'sporting director' that Man City & Tottenham put in place. They've managed to get all their signing in quickly and efficiently and over the course of the season, it will pay off for them.

It's probably more effective than just buying nobody, though.

This is by far the hardest thing to understand, they don't even need to be that good...

We just cannot have a situation where once again, the first player in a position is injured and the second choice is an 18 year old who has only played reserve football.

I'd take Scott Parker at this point...

23339518.jpg

And offloading people to the point you have severely lost squad depth in a side known for having injury issues.

I don't disagree with the offloads - they were all players Arsenal didn't need - but for the love of god they really need strengthening across the pitch.

Back