The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Y
The best signing we could/should have made this season was a 'sporting director' that Man City & Tottenham put in place. They've managed to get all their signing in quickly and efficiently and over the course of the season, it will pay off for them.

This. It seems to me Wenger has some sort of distaste for madness that is current transfer market (can't say that I'd blame him either). So even with the big budget available, he just half-assed the whole thing.

Could really use with someone who will agressively try to close the deals, and fast. Because waiting this long always end up with overpaying.

Could really use with someone who will agressively try to close the deals, and fast. Because waiting this long always end up with overpaying.

David Dein, then. Oh, wait, they got rid of him...

Brings back memories of that 8-2 thrashing when you had 9 first-teamers injured ... Wouldn't be surprised to see a similar result this season considering the clubs injury crisis and lack of depth

Its the strangest thing. Arsenal could be serious title contenders if only that transfer budget was put to use and with the rest of top 3 in transition. And once you've shown club can still compete for trophies, you can build on that.

Really, I just...don't understand.

Yeap all things pointed towards it in past couple days.
Who is there even left to buy now? wenger will bring in a couple youngsters im guessing.How can this man not see how badly we need players that will go straight to first team

Who is there even left to buy now? wenger will bring in a couple youngsters im guessing.How can this man not see how badly we need players that will go straight to first team

Some unknown french kids.

I remember a massive discussion on this website a few years ago (maybe after the Birmingham defeat) about Wenger and Arsenal. Most were backing him and saying "once the stadium is paid off in a few years we will have money to spend etc etc". And my take was it was better to get rid of Wenger then and try and get a manager who will bring some silverware because in them few years time when you can spend money no-one will want to join. Seems as if i was kind of right (shock horror). Obviously there is a part of me that is finding this hilarious but i do feel for the supporters, this must be so frustrating.

And my take was it was better to get rid of Wenger then and try and get a manager who will bring some silverware because in them few years time when you can spend money no-one will want to join.

Its not the problem with club reputation. Spurs don' win silverware either, they don't even play in Champions League and look what they could do in the transfer market. Same goes for Liverpool especially if they can lock down Willian.

Its not the problem with club reputation. Spurs don' win silverware either, they don't even play in Champions League and look what they could do in the transfer market. Same goes for Liverpool especially if they can lock down Willian.

Precisely. We could've done with Baldini. I was chatting to my Spurs mate and sadly had to confess to him that every player they signed - apart from Chadli - I'd be happy for Arsenal to have bought.

I think you have a point but i'd say both Liverpool and Spurs looking in from the outside have a better chance of doing something in the future than Arsenal. At this moment in time i think both are more attractive projects.

Precisely. We could've done with Baldini. I was chatting to my Spurs mate and sadly had to confess to him that every player they signed - apart from Chadli - I'd be happy for Arsenal to have bought.

But it also doesn't help having a manager who won't pay over what his valuation of a player is. Was Higuian worth what Napoli paid for him? No course he wasn't but to get your man you have to over pay in this day and age. Gone are the days where Arsene can pluck unknown, untried players from Europe and turn them into world stars.

I think you have a point but i'd say both Liverpool and Spurs looking in from the outside have a better chance of doing something in the future than Arsenal. At this moment in time i think both are more attractive projects.

I don't agree here. Our core is much better and with 2-4 new quality signings ( which I really hope happen ) we are on whole different level on pitch. And then there's also financial aspect where we are so much above both.

But it also doesn't help having a manager who won't pay over what his valuation of a player is. Was Higuian worth what Napoli paid for him? No course he wasn't but to get your man you have to over pay in this day and age. Gone are the days where Arsene can pluck unknown, untried players from Europe and turn them into world stars.

The reason we didn't get Higuian was not because of the transfer fee, wages or Higuian not wanting to come. We never made a bid for him, we only had talks with Higuain. He wanted to join. But Wenger wanted Suarez, and since he had been told there was a £40m+ release clause in his contract, he wasn't interested in Higuain anymore.

We have to see if Higuain proves out to be good buy, but I think best example is Javi Martinez transfer to Bayern last season so I agree with you here. We have money so we don't need to be so prudent in transfer market anymore.

Maybe they are more attractive to us fans, but I don't know if players tend to look that far in the future.

Good increase in wages+champions league football = MUNGO HAPPY, MUNGO SIGN CONTRACT.

I don't agree here. Our core is much better and with 2-4 new quality signings ( which I really hope happen ) we are on whole different level on pitch. And then there's also financial aspect where we are so much above both.

I think maybe last season your core was better but this season looking at both squads (Arsenal and Spurs) i think Spurs have the better squad. I probably went abit OTT including Liverpool i will admit but even them if they keep hold of Suarez which looks likely now i wouldn't say they are that far off top 4.

The reason we didn't get Higuian was not because of the transfer fee, wages or Higuian not wanting to come. We never made a bid for him, we only had talks with Higuain. He wanted to join. But Wenger wanted Suarez, and since he had been told there was a £40m+ release clause in his contract, he wasn't interested in Higuain anymore.

Oh yeah i know you didn't make a bid but i have to question why you didn't make a bid? I think he would have prefered a move to England over Italy and he is an upgrade on what you already have so it should be a no brainer. The Suarez deal to anyone who has half a brain knew it was never going to happen (just like the Fabregas deal to Utd).

We have to see if Higuain proves out to be good buy, but I think best example is Javi Martinez transfer to Bayern last season so I agree with you here. We have money so we don't need to be so prudent in transfer market anymore.

Yeah and i think that's why outsiders are finding it funny but the bigger picture here is that this is effecting a set of fans. I mean losing out on Luis Gustavo to Wolfsburg for me is embarrassing and a club like Arsenal should be sealing these targets.

Maybe they are more attractive to us fans, but I don't know if players tend to look that far in the future.

Good increase in wages+champions league football = MUNGO HAPPY, MUNGO SIGN CONTRACT.

I agree most players tend to go for Champs League football but i also think some players want stability at clubs. A player could come to Arsenal this season and get champs league football but as things stand its 50/50 whether they get it again next season. But take Spurs for instance yes they don't have it this season but they are building something and i personally think with or without Bale they will get in the top 4 this season unless and this is a massive unless, Arsenal sign 2-3 brilliant players and at the moment them players are few and far between.

Back