The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Sagna, Gibbs and Monreal all will travel with the squad to Turkey.

So we got: Szczesny, Fabianski, Martinez, Sagna, Jenkinson, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Hayden, Gibbs, Monreal, Ramsey Wilshere, Zelalem, Frimpong, Rosicky, Cazorla, Walcott, Podolski, Gnabry, Giroud and Sanogo all relatively fit to play.

Yes Wenger gave us the invincible's (a long time ago).
He cannot continue to use his past successes to hold the club at ransom, Arsenal are going in the opposite direction, getting worse by each passing season.
Pressure has to come from the fans to put pressure on the club’s sponsors, putting the pressure for money they have sunk into the manager's and board's pockets with nothing to show for it.
The fans deserve more respect from a club who promised more money to be available to bring in top players, when they moved to the Emirates from Highbury.
The fans pay into the FOOTBALL CLUB.... Not the Bank OF Arsenal.
Wenger has turned a winning club into a BANK.

Wenger's position has been too secure and has had too much power over things with us. Lot of things need to change for him to get extension imo.

I still have faith in Arsene, because as long as he (Or anyone else) is manager, it won't do any good to think otherwise.

However, I do also think that it would be for the best for both the club and Wenger himself if he left at the end of his contract and takes the PSG or Real job if it's available. We get a new, more forward thinking manager (Hopefully), and Arsene can go and start winning again, whilst also keeping his massive salary!

Was going to ask a question, but it seems it has been (partially) answered. I'll ask it anyway:

What would you like to happen to Arsène at the end of the season? Having signed a new contract - either during the season or having done at the end of the campaign, or mutually agreed to his departure? The latter doesn't seem likely, but nevertheless.

Was going to ask a question, but it seems it has been (partially) answered. I'll ask it anyway:

What would you like to happen to Arsène at the end of the season? Having signed a new contract - either during the season or having done at the end of the campaign, or mutually agreed to his departure? The latter doesn't seem likely, but nevertheless.

I personally think it might be his time to step up the ladder.

A pure defensive midfielder in front of them and we would have no problems at back + trustworthy goalkeeper instead of lunatic that is Szczesny.

Don't make me started about Szczesny, I had high hopes for him - I'm a big fan of his dad who was pretty amazing goalkeeper in Poland back in the 90s. But it seems the only thing Wojo inherited from his old man is big mouth. :P

Don't make me started about Szczesny, I had high hopes for him - I'm a big fan of his dad who was pretty amazing goalkeeper in Poland back in the 90s. But it seems the only thing Wojo inherited from his old man is big mouth. :P

Yeah I had high hopes for him aswell. Rest of his goalkeeping he must have inherited from Almunia...

Whoa, let's calm the Woj bashing a bit. He's not a BAD keeper. He's got good reflexes, he's big and imposing, is good in the air and complements Arsenal's style of play pretty well. And, above all, he's still very young for a keeper. In terms of natural ability he's streets ahead of Almunia. It's these moments of madness - which in theory are good, keepers honestly need to be a little insane - that need to be ironed out. It's not like he's an experienced mental dude like Jens Lehmann, he has time on his side to work it out.

The way people are going on about him at the moment you'd think he'd conceded three by his own fault, rather than pretty much blamelessly. Yes, he gave away the first penalty, but that's more due to the fact Agbonlahor was playing unstoppably well and had toasted Arsenal's defence before getting to the area. And then, Wojo saved the penalty (another of his strengths) but got unlucky with the rebound. Another penalty meant it was hardly his fault, and he was always going to be at a disadvantage when Tony Moon got into a one on one with him after some truly diabolical defending. There was that crazy bit of play where he nearly got chipped by Westwood, but he saved that one, so there can't be TOO many complaints on that front.

Whoa, let's calm the Woj bashing a bit. He's not a BAD keeper. He's got good reflexes, he's big and imposing, is good in the air and complements Arsenal's style of play pretty well. And, above all, he's still very young for a keeper. In terms of natural ability he's streets ahead of Almunia. It's these moments of madness - which in theory are good, keepers honestly need to be a little insane - that need to be ironed out. It's not like he's an experienced mental dude like Jens Lehmann, he has time on his side to work it out.

The way people are going on about him at the moment you'd think he'd conceded three by his own fault, rather than pretty much blamelessly. Yes, he gave away the first penalty, but that's more due to the fact Agbonlahor was playing unstoppably well and had toasted Arsenal's defence before getting to the area. And then, Wojo saved the penalty (another of his strengths) but got unlucky with the rebound. Another penalty meant it was hardly his fault, and he was always going to be at a disadvantage when Tony Moon got into a one on one with him after some truly diabolical defending. There was that crazy bit of play where he nearly got chipped by Westwood, but he saved that one, so there can't be TOO many complaints on that front.

Agreed, he got the reflexes as well as natural ability. We just have to get some more experience, maybe if we do get a new keeper send him out on loan? However that would leave us with no options so dont know, still trying to find positives during this abysmal transfer window/season start

Agreed, he got the reflexes as well as natural ability. We just have to get some more experience, maybe if we do get a new keeper send him out on loan? However that would leave us with no options so dont know, still trying to find positives during this abysmal transfer window/season start

Now that's a legitimate concern. But all of this "lol hes **** no betr than Almunniyer" stuff is verging on ridiculous. If you did send him on loan and sign up, say, Cesar, you'd still have Fabianski so you could send him on loan if necessary.

I don't have a problem with a little insanity, I have a problem with the fact that he's been a starter for a while and barely even improved. When you compare it to rapid development of guys like De Gea or Cortouis, there's really nothing to write home about.

Also, I wouldn't expect the madness to stop, it runs in the family. Amongst other crazy stunts, Szczesny senior punched Mancini during european cup game , kung-fu kicked a fan before Cantona made it cool, beat up a car thief and was accused of rape just couple of months ago at age of 50 :P

I don't have a problem with a little insanity, I have a problem with the fact that he's been a starter for a while and barely even improved. When you compare it to rapid development of guys like De Gea or Cortouis, there's really nothing to write home about.

Also, I wouldn't expect the madness to stop, it runs in the family. Amongst other crazy stunts, Szczesny senior punched Mancini during european cup game , kung-fu kicked a fan before Cantona made it cool, beat up a car thief and was accused of rape just couple of months ago at age of 50 :P

Eh, that's cause De Gea and Courtois are better than him. I think a few Arsenal fans hyped him up a bit too much when he made it into the team - I remember lots saying he could be better than De Gea - and now they're having to cope with the realisation that he isn't as good as they said he was by saying he's worse than he is. It's from one extreme to another.

Eh, that's cause De Gea and Courtois are better than him. I think a few Arsenal fans hyped him up a bit too much when he made it into the team - I remember lots saying he could be better than De Gea - and now they're having to cope with the realisation that he isn't as good as they said he was by saying he's worse than he is. It's from one extreme to another.

Szczesny was promoted to #1 far too quickly. This only brought bigger hype and now that realisation has hit in there isn't much to do. Do we sign new keeper and drop Szczesny. He won't develop any faster on bench that's for sure. Also I'm not sure he'd warm to idea of loan at this point.

In hindsight best move would've been to loan Szczesny out for 1 or 2 seasons 2 years ago and sign a new #1 keeper then. Now it's too late.

I hope we don't get Fenerbahce in CL group stage, watching them in Turkey would be annoying with all this booing and whistling ;)

I hope we don't get Fenerbahce in CL group stage, watching them in Turkey would be annoying with all this booing and whistling ;)

Haha was just thinking same thing. We better beat em up like it's 08

Back