The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Overall, nice victory for us today, loved the counter attack, loved all of them.

Yeah, he did, he saved it. From that close and that angle, you're asking too much for the keeper to do more than just try and keep the ball out of the net.

He should of got his hand further round the ball and pushed it back the way it came/stopped it moving altogether

To be fair, I think Giroud was our best player in preseason, with Ramsey 2nd

For me Ramsey's been on better level, but Giroud has also improved massively. Shows you what right amount of confidence does for your game.

Just caught the game this morning (had it recorded).

Don't understand the Wojo criticism. He did his best on Bent's goal that he could. When I saw it I thought "wow, lazy defending by both sidebacks", not "Wojo, you crazy lunk, you leaked one again".

When a ball is screaming at you and you are falling to the ground in the rain, you aren't going to make the perfect deflection every time.

Giroud looked a little better up front, trapped and won a few more aerial balls. 3 in 3 has me wanting his jersey.

Sanogo...was a hair away from connecting on a debut goal via Walcott. I would have jumped off the couch if he got his chance.

Just caught the game this morning (had it recorded).

Don't understand the Wojo criticism. He did his best on Bent's goal that he could. When I saw it I thought "wow, lazy defending by both sidebacks", not "Wojo, you crazy lunk, you leaked one again".

When a ball is screaming at you and you are falling to the ground in the rain, you aren't going to make the perfect deflection every time.

Giroud looked a little better up front, trapped and won a few more aerial balls. 3 in 3 has me wanting his jersey.

Sanogo...was a hair away from connecting on a debut goal via Walcott. I would have jumped off the couch if he got his chance.

Bent goal was mostly due Jenkinson falling asleep for a sec and allowing him to get to the ball for me and not due to Szczesny. Szczesny had a good game and he seems to have these when he's under critisism and not too safe. Giroud has done really well, but we need to provide him with better aerial service and he will be scoring even more goals.

I don`t understand you guyz, what`s the problem with that goal? IT`S JUST ONE GOAL ! He saved a lot in this game, he was one of the best on the pitch for us,fantastic double save in the first half ensured we stayed in front, and he looked solid and confident throughout. A win it`s a WIN & that`s it. I didn`t expect for us to play like that, brilliant away game :

• Cazorla’s 6 chances created (including an assist)
  • Sagna, who started at centre-back achieved 100% ground duel wins & 100% Aerial Duel wins
  • Szcsesny made 6 saves
View attachment 475203

View attachment 475202

P.S. Hope you like the graphics ;)

Wojciech Szczesny: 8/10 - Another good day at the office for SZCZ. He might be a bit disappointed with the touch that led to the Fulham goal but a fantastic double save in the first half ensured we stayed in front, and he looked solid and confident throughout.
Carl Jenkinson: 7/10 - His energy is fantastic, he got up and down the pitch all day, and wasn’t found wanting defensively. Very tidy on the ball too.
Per Mertesacker: 8/10 - If you cross it, he will head. Seemed to be on the end of everything they chucked in, his usual, calm presence at the back was vital.
Bacary Sagna: 8/10 - You would never know he’s not a natural centre-half. We know he’s a good defender anyway, but his positioning and reading of the game was as good as any season central player.
Kieran Gibbs: 7/10 - Another good game, really adds something in the final third now, but a touch careless in the second half, losing the ball in midfield which led to the Fulham goal.
Tomas Rosicky: 7/10 - He didn’t do much that stood out but played his part. Probably a bit on the tired side after two 90 minutes and was replaced by Jack Wilshere.
Aaron Ramsey: 8/10 - What a difference to the player we saw this time last year. He’s in great form, he knows it and is using that confidence to drive his game and this team.
Santi Cazorla: 8/10 - There are times when you watch him and you wonder how he’s just turned away from 3 opponents and kept the ball in a tight space. Then you forget to wonder about that as he gets the team moving. Set up Podolski’s second and created some other good chances.
Theo Walcott: 7/10 - Definitely more of a consistent threat in the opposition half, led some very good breakaways and his fierce shot led to Podolski’s first goal.
Lukas Podolski: 9/10 - Great to see him score twice and the technique required for the first is overlooked – plenty of players would have sent that out of the ground. Left out of the first two games, he got his chance and took it. Can’t ask for more than that.
Olivier Giroud: 8/10 - Three games, three goals. His hold up play was much improved from last weekend and his touch in the move which led to Arsenal’s third was sublime.

Subs:

Jack Wilshere: 7/10 -
Gave the ball away once, but looks to have found a bit of extra zip in his legs after a bit of regular football. One moment late on when he won a tackle, sprinted to win the second ball, and set Arsenal forward was fantastic.

Nacho Monreal: 6/10 - Came on to shore things up, sensible stuff really from the manager, and he did ok.

Yaya Sanogo: n/a – A fairly inauspicious debut, just 10 minutes or so at the end, so hard to rate, but the observation we’d make is that he’s going to have to toughen up, and quickly. He’s a big lad, let’s see him put it about. That said, more experienced players took time to get used to English football so it’s not a big deal just yet.

Match Stats

Fulham------------------ Arsenal
[TABLE="class: no-borders"]
[TR]
[TD="class: first"]16(7)[/TD]
[TD="class: center"]Shots (on goal)[/TD]
[TD="class: right last"]19(9)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first"]10[/TD]
[TD="class: center"]Fouls[/TD]
[TD="class: right last"]9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first"]1[/TD]
[TD="class: center"]Corner kicks[/TD]
[TD="class: right last"]8[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first"]3[/TD]
[TD="class: center"]Offsides[/TD]
[TD="class: right last"]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first"]46%[/TD]
[TD="class: center"]Time of Possession[/TD]
[TD="class: right last"]54%[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first"]2[/TD]
[TD="class: center"]Yellow Cards[/TD]
[TD="class: right last"]2[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first"]0[/TD]
[TD="class: center"]Red Cards[/TD]
[TD="class: right last"]0[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: first"]6[/TD]
[TD="class: center"]Saves[/TD]
[TD="class: right last"]6[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited:
Saw an article this morning saying that the Arsenal midfield is a lot more balanced and performs better without Wilshere in the central midfield three.

How I think the midfield+attack should be:

------------Arteta
-------Ramsey---Wilshere

Cazorla-----Giroud------Podolski

When we need to get some pace in the game and counter attack more, swap Podolski for Walcott and switch Walcott and Cazorla round

Saw an article this morning saying that the Arsenal midfield is a lot more balanced and performs better without Wilshere in the central midfield three.

It was only the 2nd game of the season, Rosicky is in form but the future is : Rambo - Wilshere & Santi in front of them

It was only the 2nd game of the season, Rosicky is in form but the future is : Rambo - Wilshere & Santi in front of them

Yeap, but there's some truth to that article and it's not just this season, but quite evident also last season. Main reason for it is that Jack isn't yet back to his best and we should just be patient and Wenger shouldn't overplay him now and risk another injury.

Hate to say it but as an arsenal fan, we have to stop kidding ourselves,we will sign no one in this window, and the sole reason is that there ISNT any money, its all been pumped back into the boards back pocket!!!

Hate to say it but as an arsenal fan, we have to stop kidding ourselves,we will sign no one in this window, and the sole reason is that there ISNT any money, its all been pumped back into the boards back pocket!!!

No it hasn't otherwise it would show up in accounts. I think our targets are looking that we will qualify so tomorrow will be important.

No it hasn't otherwise it would show up in accounts. I think our targets are looking that we will qualify so tomorrow will be important.
What accounts and are they visible online? there isn't really much well known quality out there and if there is they are not for sale for example the bender brothers.Who would u like to see come to arsenal?

So you are stating that board members peculated club funds?

Treading a very fine line you are.

What accounts and are they visible online? there isn't really much well known quality out there and if there is they are not for sale for example the bender brothers.Who would u like to see come to arsenal?

At the end of financial year accounts are published and there you can see exactly how much they are filling their accounts. Every club pays it's directors fee's for being on board just like companies.

If you mean by filling their pockets by giving them dividents then A) Club hasn't done that ( so far ) B) only 1 member on board actually owns Arsenal shares ( Kroenke ).

We offered Leverkusen £18m or so for Bender and got refused straight. After selling Schurrle and Carvajal they aren't selling any other player from first team.

Who I'd like? Angel Di Maria for starters and either Kondogbia or Fernando ( Porto ) failing either of these then Cabaye.

Last edited:
Back