The Arsenal Thread

Actually I prefer the haters sticking around. The 'siege mentality' works very well at a football club, look at Ferguson - making sure the players confidence comes from within rather than outer sources.

As has been said we have top teams to play, however Napoli were meant to be a stiff challenge and yet seemed rather ordinary. Qualifying first out of the group does seem rather important given the strengths of the other powerhouse sides though (RM, Bayern, Barca etc).

I've been in the situation where we play well in the autumn very often, and it seems to rarely come to fruition in May, so I'm guarded but pleased about how the team looks without the negative dressing room influence. I'd much rather have Miyaichi, Gnabry etc, than an unhappy Arshavin on 70k a week, or Denilson turning up every day not giving a **** and taking him 50k.

Losing those negative influences at the club seems to help, and signing Ozil contributes both in terms ofo what he represents to the success of the club's ideals, as his skill and influence on the pitch - allowing the players to potentially change their view of the club they play for from a club in perpetual transition, to one who can get back to the early 2000s . The problem has always been Arsenal had excellent form against the top clubs but poor form against the bottom of the league 'scrappers', it seems in recent seasons this has reversed, but I cannot see a better time to capitalise upon this than against top sides this season, especially given that in recent years the issue has been a shockingly bad midfield spine, something which looks more solid than in recent memory certainly.

Taking into account our last couple of seasons this is a major improvement. I think last time we had this good start of the season was 2007-08 season. Still that season is a good reminder not to make predictions too early. We were on the way to be champions until Eduardo and Rosicky were injured and then imploded.

Though this season we have already had a "injury crisis" and kept on winning despite it.

No doubt its a fantastic start, but we have been here before with Arsenal, too many times.

You still havent actually got out the group yet either

Last edited:
No doubt its a fantastic start, but we have been here before with Arsenal, too many times.

You still havent actually got out the group yet either

True. I think we need at least 2 more wins to win the group, but I'm pretty confident we can achieve that. With Flamini we are much more suited to handle the counter attacking teams and way we handled Napoli yesterday shows that.

Still, Flamini does need a younger understudy, and whilst it won't be Bender, it does need to be somebody considering he said he'd see out his contract then leave. Frimpong doesn't have the discipline nor passing style, and Arteta, whilst being a fantastic player, is more of an interceptions based DM than a tackler and leader.you

Currently though, I agree Bender wouldn't get in the current midfield at the moment, but perhaps the limited funds are better spent on a proper striker instead in January and the other important positions can be improved next year. I'd rather Wenger bought someone genuinely top quality, than just yet another average bench sitter like Park, Bendtner or Chamakh. That said I have no idea what strikers are even available at the moment.

Signing Bender next summer would make sense as he'd have time to adjust without too much pressure. Flamini will be with us at most for 2 seasons at that moment and Arteta is getting older.

Frimpong's contract ends next summer and he almost as injury prone as Diaby. Coquelin will be sold I'm pretty sure of that.

That leaves Arteta, Flamini, Rambo and Wilshere for our midfield so having Bender would be good as 5 players for 2 positions isn't too much as we play odd 55-60 games a season.

Corchia/Montoya for RB and a cheeky bid for Lewandowski!
Lewandowski wouldn't go to Madrid, at the moment, never mind Arsenal. He has his sights firmly fixed on Bayern.

Still, Flamini does need a younger understudy, and whilst it won't be Bender, it does need to be somebody considering he said he'd see out his contract then leave. Frimpong doesn't have the discipline nor passing style, and Arteta, whilst being a fantastic player, is more of an interceptions based DM than a tackler and leader.you

Currently though, I agree Bender wouldn't get in the current midfield at the moment, but perhaps the limited funds are better spent on a proper striker instead in January and the other important positions can be improved next year. I'd rather Wenger bought someone genuinely top quality, than just yet another average bench sitter like Park, Bendtner or Chamakh. That said I have no idea what strikers are even available at the moment.
If Arsenal had signed Mario G?mez in the summer, it would've been a steal. I'm sure G?mez would've preferred Arsenal over Fiorentina, and for ?13m (I believe), it's an absolute bargain. But yeah, I'm not sure what quality strikers are available at the moment, either.

Quote Of The Day :

" Mesut Ozil assisted his nurse when he was born " (H)

tumblr_m5fbe6Pcbg1qcb58yo1_500.gif

Reporter: when do you think City will be able to beat Bayern. Guardiola: when they buy Arsenal.

One more internet made up quote.

Well yes, no source and all that...

Giroud is no where near the finished article, but perhaps now he seemingly seems more capable up front at linking and playing in players, he is at least starting to not look out of place up front, with him having a lot of technique for a big striker and allowing the tricky midgets to get into the box from behind him. Of course he isn't top class, but the service at the moment for anyone is going to help them knock a few chances in. I'd love a genuinely skillful tricky striker with great anticipation in the squad and good pace, but those sort of players cost a fortune and tend to not move on often due to their importance.