The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
That's from the CL final. I think he was making a joke.

On the back of the Dortmund win, I'm pretty confident for this weekend, however with their injury crisis seemingly not as problematic as before, then I can see this being a close, edgy one.

Ferguson has clearly understood how Wenger plays for a while, and it remains to be seen if Moyes just copies the winning formula, even though I'm unsure that his first XI would have the speed in the front two to exploit that considering Arsenal no longer play such a high line.

I'd say he'll set up with 4-2-3-1, put Rooney deeper and get him to mark Arteta or Flamini, get Januzaj and Valencia on the wings and Rafael as right back if he's seemingly fit, as those two are reliable runners and can do the very quick Gibbs for pace. I can see the fullbacks being caught out and a cross into the box being finished well by RVP/Rooney as a score, because through the middle seems unlikely with their current midfielders, though it shall at least be amusing if Fellaini plays. I'm expecting Cleverley/Giggs, or Cleverley/Carrick if he's fit.

Today is a a good chance for Verm to prove that he can rotate with our CBs, wish him the best

Today is a a good chance for Verm to prove that he can rotate with our CBs, wish him the best

Was quite good against both WBA and Chelsea. Hope he does better than last season in the same fixture where he gifted RVP a goal.

Disappointed with the result, not so much with the performance (With the exception of us not really trying to get on the end of everything). With the chances that we had, and Sagna's excellent delivery tonight, I would've expected at least a goal, but hey ho. How many times in recent years have we gone to OT and controlled the play like that? Hopefully next time the result is a different story, but I'm not too disheartened.

I'm frustrated with a loss, however City and Tottenham losing, as well as Chelsea drawing, rather made up for it. I think with the run of games the team is in the middle of at the moment we'd have to drop points, and losing to Utd 1-0 away after that display at Dortmund made this weekend less of a surprise. Good to see Flamini back though.

No offense Redrup, but we didn't control play.

Giroud is clearly jaded, Ozil is coming off his signing high, cazorla isn't in form (where was he today, seriously).

I wasn't expecting a lot out of the match, maybe a draw and if we were fortunate a victory. I knew ManU would give it a good go as we have a target on our backs now.

but us trying to walk the ball into the back of the net is getting very irritating lately. Giroud literally tried to walk it into the net off that wonderful Gnabry play (he needs more minutes). We just needed to be aggressive in front of goal and put shots on target and maybe get a rebound or an own goal...but we tried to be cute. Only a handful of strikers can dribble around inside the box and create space for a shot, Giroud and the rest of the gang (maybe ramsey/ozil) are not those players.

We lacked directness and width. Something the Ox, Rosicky and Walcott all provide. Looking forward to them all returning

Yeah I thought the same, something about half the team being sick with a virus and Per being sick enough to not play? Weird, anywya.

No offense Redrup, but we didn't control play.

Giroud is clearly jaded, Ozil is coming off his signing high, cazorla isn't in form (where was he today, seriously).

I wasn't expecting a lot out of the match, maybe a draw and if we were fortunate a victory. I knew ManU would give it a good go as we have a target on our backs now.

but us trying to walk the ball into the back of the net is getting very irritating lately. Giroud literally tried to walk it into the net off that wonderful Gnabry play (he needs more minutes). We just needed to be aggressive in front of goal and put shots on target and maybe get a rebound or an own goal...but we tried to be cute. Only a handful of strikers can dribble around inside the box and create space for a shot, Giroud and the rest of the gang (maybe ramsey/ozil) are not those players.

Well I guess we have different opinions of controlling the play, because I feel we did with our far superior possession, better passing completion % and winning more of the duels across the pitch. Unfortunately it all went **** up when **** decisions were made where it really matters - in front of the goal.

Just as an aside, but is there a problem with clickthrough to this board? There is a... very sparse amount of posting going on at the moment, and I'd suggest that on a site with such a large userbase and activity in the general forum (around the current fm release time) that I'd expect more contributors.

Certainly I'm not looking for herp derp wums, however I could possibly count the amount of regular posters on two hands. The forum homepage reports around 2,5k users browsing the forums at any one time. I'd suggest this is brought up with staff to preserve the value of actual football discussion, or is it that simply people are exploring alternatives?

Just as an aside, but is there a problem with clickthrough to this board? There is a... very sparse amount of posting going on at the moment, and I'd suggest that on a site with such a large userbase and activity in the general forum (around the current fm release time) that I'd expect more contributors.

Certainly I'm not looking for herp derp wums, however I could possibly count the amount of regular posters on two hands. The forum homepage reports around 2,5k users browsing the forums at any one time. I'd suggest this is brought up with staff to preserve the value of actual football discussion, or is it that simply people are exploring alternatives?

Most people come to download tactics and rage tbh. Also a lot of the main contributors are quite buys. I have a lot less time these days. But agree, need more content and discussion. Something I'll try and push on more over the next week.

I'm going to be active again now I have finally got FM14 :)

Most people come to download tactics and rage tbh. Also a lot of the main contributors are quite buys. I have a lot less time these days. But agree, need more content and discussion. Something I'll try and push on more over the next week.

I didn't get the "main contributors are quite buys", but other than that obviously I'm not saying mammoth posts, but the odd interesting discussion needs contributors, otherwise it stifles and ends up being underwhelming. There is a fantastic kernel of (true) football fans here, obviously time is an issue for some although it certainly wouldn't prevent the odd post or three, though I was more concerned about finding some information on the clickthrough from the homepage, and whether it is possible to have a more prominent link available rather than being dumped at the bottom of the forums.

Sales data from Sega indicates almost 1,000,000 FM sales for the '13 release, so it'd be great to have a larger slice of that userbase who obviously enjoys tactical discussion and implementation of real football into this forum, though that is likely a staff issue more than purely about staff posting more, though it'd certainly be welcome.

p.s. I'm dumping it in this thread because during the international break this place is pretty dead, and I'd like to be able to preserve a little discussion without it dropping down the board.

I didn't get the "main contributors are quite buys", but other than that obviously I'm not saying mammoth posts, but the odd interesting discussion needs contributors, otherwise it stifles and ends up being underwhelming. There is a fantastic kernel of (true) football fans here, obviously time is an issue for some although it certainly wouldn't prevent the odd post or three, though I was more concerned about finding some information on the clickthrough from the homepage, and whether it is possible to have a more prominent link available rather than being dumped at the bottom of the forums.

Sales data from Sega indicates almost 1,000,000 FM sales for the '13 release, so it'd be great to have a larger slice of that userbase who obviously enjoys tactical discussion and implementation of real football into this forum, though that is likely a staff issue more than purely about staff posting more, though it'd certainly be welcome.

p.s. I'm dumping it in this thread because during the international break this place is pretty dead, and I'd like to be able to preserve a little discussion without it dropping down the board.

Sorry that should read "busy". The thing is that FM Base is known for people coming to download stuff, for better or for worse. Personally I'm actually really keen to change that. But really that falls on Sean to decide. I also want to get rid of things like the frustration thread, its destructive and childish tbh.

Back