The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
He has been battled for since he has been 13. Lots of clubs interested main among them United. Touted as the next Vieira. RC of 45m

Yeah, I've seen the comparisons to Vieira. I suppose it wouldn't be so bad to have someone with grit similar to his in midfield. Flamini's been doing a fantastic job, but he's just not as commanding as his bigger compatriot.

Yeah, I've seen the comparisons to Vieira. I suppose it wouldn't be so bad to have someone with grit similar to his in midfield. Flamini's been doing a fantastic job, but he's just not as commanding as his bigger compatriot.

I don't think we need him at all right now. Maybe if couple players leave next summer namely Coquelin, Diaby and Frimpong.

Bellerin doing really well for Watford where he's on loan. First game he was MoM and now in second game already has one assist.

Great day of results for us! If we beat Everton we'll be 7 points clear, meaning that even in the worst case scenario of losing against Chelsea & City we'd still be top! :)

Oh yeah Mark Lawrenson, that well known unbiased source on everything Manchester United.

I wouldn't want RvP back anyway, even if that was true (Which it almost definitely isn't). He just isn't the kind of player we need, and is too greedy to fit into our current style anyway.

I wouldn't want RvP back anyway, even if that was true (Which it almost definitely isn't). He just isn't the kind of player we need, and is too greedy to fit into our current style anyway.
He's not greedy. Did he see him today? He played a much deeper role than usual, and was far from playing as a poacher. Let's be honest, if Arsenal were offered him at a reasonable price, you'd take him back in a heartbeat...

He's not greedy. Did he see him today? He played a much deeper role than usual, and was far from playing as a poacher. Let's be honest, if Arsenal were offered him at a reasonable price, you'd take him back in a heartbeat...

As an unbiased observer, I really don't think they would. There's more to it than just his skill as a player, after all. Arsenal fans feel betrayed - whether rightly or wrongly - and taking Van Persie back would be suicide politically.

EDIT: Oh, and as for the on pitch stuff. Yeah he played a deeper role that normal, and he did nothing. He made one beautiful pass to Hernandez, but he took no shots, had no dribbles and was dispossessed twice.

He played a deeper role, but every time he passed it he was screaming for a return pass, and made runs into the box when there was already United players there; making it too cluttered, meant United couldn't recycle possession & left them open to the counter attack.

But being greedy isn't necessarily a bad thing. Henry in his later years, Ronaldo, Messi, etc. are all extremely greedy players but they are good enough to be. At times Van Persie is good enough to be, but it negatively impacts the team. Henry said himself the team played better without him in the last season because he was always shouting for the ball and getting it.

If for some reason Van Persie came available for free, I still wouldn't take him. Partly because I think it would make us a worse team, and secondly because I think he is a ****...

As an unbiased observer, I really don't think they would. There's more to it than just his skill as a player, after all. Arsenal fans feel betrayed - whether rightly or wrongly - and taking Van Persie back would be suicide politically.

EDIT: Oh, and as for the on pitch stuff. Yeah he played a deeper role that normal, and he did nothing. He made one beautiful pass to Hernandez, but he took no shots, had no dribbles and was dispossessed twice.

He played a deeper role, but every time he passed it he was screaming for a return pass, and made runs into the box when there was already United players there; making it too cluttered, meant United couldn't recycle possession & left them open to the counter attack.

But being greedy isn't necessarily a bad thing. Henry in his later years, Ronaldo, Messi, etc. are all extremely greedy players but they are good enough to be. At times Van Persie is good enough to be, but it negatively impacts the team. Henry said himself the team played better without him in the last season because he was always shouting for the ball and getting it.

If for some reason Van Persie came available for free, I still wouldn't take him. Partly because I think it would make us a worse team, and secondly because I think he is a ****...

The thing is though, unless he had huge wages, he would be a brilliant signing, regardless of how disliked he is by the fans. Football fans are generally fickle, and I'm sure the majority of Gunners fans wouldn't mind if he returned and scored week in, week out and played well.

The thing is though, unless he had huge wages, he would be a brilliant signing, regardless of how disliked he is by the fans. Football fans are generally fickle, and I'm sure the majority of Gunners fans wouldn't mind if he returned and scored week in, week out and played well.

We would. Regardless of ability, he would never be accepted back.

As I said back then when he left would have been better for the player and the club if he went to Juve.

As I said back then when he left would have been better for the player and the club if he went to Juve.
He probably wouldn't have done as well at Juve as he's done at United, though. He was getting on a bit, and United probably looked like a place where he'd win more trophies.

He probably wouldn't have done as well at Juve as he's done at United, though. He was getting on a bit, and United probably looked like a place where he'd win more trophies.

The only thing missing at time from Juve was WC striker. Might have done better... we don't know. Well Utd team aging a lot, but noone knew Fergie was retiring. But if you want quaranteed trophies there's no better place in europe than Juve at the moment. Although Roma are doing quite well now can't see them challenging Juve in long run for scudetto.

The only thing missing at time from Juve was WC striker. Might have done better... we don't know. Well Utd team aging a lot, but noone knew Fergie was retiring. But if you want quaranteed trophies there's no better place in europe than Juve at the moment. Although Roma are doing quite well now can't see them challenging Juve in long run for scudetto.
Juve don't have a realistic chance in European competitions, though, whereas United did when RVP joined them. Also, when he joined, they practically had a monopoly on the league in recent seasons.

Juve don't have a realistic chance in European competitions, though, whereas United did when RVP joined them. Also, when he joined, they practically had a monopoly on the league in recent seasons.

Well Juve managed to get further in Europe last season than Utd and overall if you compare their squad to Utd's they are better.

Monopoly? City won the year he joined?

Well Juve managed to get further in Europe last season than Utd and overall if you compare their squad to Utd's they are better.

Monopoly? City won the year he joined?
City won once, and United pretty much dominated before that. Anyway, I agree with Juve's squad being better, but I'd still say United probably looked more tempting to him for success reasons.

Back