The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
You could argue he transformed the whole team this season, tbh.

Although, simply not losing team captain in summer window certainly helps a great deal...

Well, we've ran out of good captains to sell, so the club captain sits on the bench most games at the moment.

The choke is on...

Yeah it certainly will be a **** of a group of games, although I think it's unfair to call it a choke when you're playing genuine world class teams. Liverpool at Anfield, Utd then Bayern back to back, and a fortnight later Bayern away, Spurs away, Chelsea away and Man City home will be incredibly energy sapping. They will be no doubt fantastic games, but the squad a as a whole needs better form/concentration from players such as Cazorla, Wilshere and Monreal to be able to rotate.

Oh dear, our Feb/March fixture run is absolutely shocking:

Liverpool A
Man Utd H
Bayern Munich H
Sunderland H
Stoke A
FA Cup QF
Bayern Munich A
Tottenham Hotspur A
Chelsea A
Man City H

Tricky, but imagine if the City and Chelsea games came during your 2 Bayern games...

Oh dear, our Feb/March fixture run is absolutely shocking:

Liverpool A
Man Utd H
Bayern Munich H
Sunderland H
Stoke A
FA Cup QF
Bayern Munich A
Tottenham Hotspur A
Chelsea A
Man City H

At least we get a nice easy game in between the Liverpool and Bayern 1st leg matches :)

Oh I wouldn't write united off that quickly, they usually give us a good game, and recently they've been the side coming out with more points!

Bit of a side show, but supposedly Ashley Cole turned up to the Arsenal Xmas Party last night since Mourinho cancelled the one for Chelsea. Seems that the fans have much harsher memories of him than the supporters!

General list of reported Xmas outfits:

etQtSCX.png

Wilshere lost his appeal, so he's out for Chelsea and West Ham.

He's been pretty **** lately and gets frustrated far too easily, so perhaps a bit of time out would do him some good.

Wilshere lost his appeal, so he's out for Chelsea and West Ham.

He's been pretty **** lately and gets frustrated far too easily, so perhaps a bit of time out would do him some good.

Arsenal web page it says he didn't contest it at all. Where did you get the appeal idea?
F.A showing great bit of consistency there.

Arsenal web page it says he didn't contest it at all. Where did you get the appeal idea?
F.A showing great bit of consistency there.

BBC: "Arsenal's Jack Wilshere loses an appeal against the length of his ban after he admitted making an abusive hand gesture."

He didn't appeal against him actually doing it, but he thought the ban was unjust.

No!? But when Montpellier won the league with him as top scorer.. He raised quite a few heads. Hence why Wenger signed him.. Which makes your statement pointless.
Exactly. Wenger looks for bargains and 12 mil for Giroud was surely a bargain

Exactly. Wenger looks for bargains and 12 mil for Giroud was surely a bargain

I think we can agree 12m for Giroud is a bargain considering he spent more on a 17 year old Chamberlain in the current market. Being top scorer in the French league is definitely not a barometer of success, you only have to look at players "good in the French league" who never manage to get out of it and end up turning into mediocre performers internationally or never quite get to that tier of 'superb players'. Now Giroud undoubtedly isn't a superb player, but I do think he's very good, and I'm sure if he wasn't required to play every single game up front than he'd be capable of becoming a player a lot like Chelsea's Drogba considering his ability to both link up well and play as a battering ram up front.

Bit of a side show, but supposedly Ashley Cole turned up to the Arsenal Xmas Party last night since Mourinho cancelled the one for Chelsea. Seems that the fans have much harsher memories of him than the supporters!

Chelsea xmas party was supposed to be at the same club/night before it was cancelled. Schurrle and De Bruyne also attended but that doesn't't make a good headline.

I think we can agree 12m for Giroud is a bargain considering he spent more on a 17 year old Chamberlain in the current market. Being top scorer in the French league is definitely not a barometer of success, you only have to look at players "good in the French league" who never manage to get out of it and end up turning into mediocre performers internationally or never quite get to that tier of 'superb players'. Now Giroud undoubtedly isn't a superb player, but I do think he's very good, and I'm sure if he wasn't required to play every single game up front than he'd be capable of becoming a player a lot like Chelsea's Drogba considering his ability to both link up well and play as a battering ram up front.
A target man with good link-up play is something you rarely find

A target man with good link-up play is something you rarely find
It depends what you mean by 'target man', though. If you're referring to the conventional, tall, Drogba-esque player, then yes, it's fairly rare. However, target man can also be interpreted as a striker who often receives the ball, from deep or otherwise - such as Rooney, Su?rez and RVP - if that's the case, then no, it's not rare to find a 'target man' with good link-up play.

It depends what you mean by 'target man', though. If you're referring to the conventional, tall, Drogba-esque player, then yes, it's fairly rare. However, target man can also be interpreted as a striker who often receives the ball, from deep or otherwise - such as Rooney, Su?rez and RVP - if that's the case, then no, it's not rare to find a 'target man' with good link-up play.

Yes he's referring to a tall and powerful Target Man. I don't think Rooney and Suarez or even RvP count as Target Mans. Giroud is a Target Man. Suarez and Rooney are just focal point of attacks of their respective teams, which they won't be in a better team. A target man will always be a Target. Like Giroud currently is.

Sent from my C2104 using Tapatalk

Yes he's referring to a tall and powerful Target Man. I don't think Rooney and Suarez or even RvP count as Target Mans. Giroud is a Target Man. Suarez and Rooney are just focal point of attacks of their respective teams, which they won't be in a better team. A target man will always be a Target. Like Giroud currently is.

Sent from my C2104 using Tapatalk
RVP could probably be considered a conventional target man, but I don't think the other two really could.

Just receiving the ball from deep doesn't make someone a target man, pretty much every striker is going to get the ball played up to them from deep either directly to them or over the top.

******* Mike Dean. First red card tackle from Mikel and then penalty turned down...

Back