The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Giroud just needs legitimate goal threat from midfield backing him up. Podolski is perfect for this.

Wilshere should be dropped for him if anyone; not Rosick?/Ramsey (both of whom have been good this season).
I think it should be Rosicky the one who should be dropped. He wastes so many passes against stronger opposition. But I think he contributes well when it comes to defending (pressing, etc...)

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of Rosicky, I do agree his passes are a bit wayward at times, but he does chase and harry well. Wilshere is going to be in for Ramsey for the next few games, which will probably mean something like Cazorla/Ozil/Walcott across the front with Podolski playing the odd game till he can handle full games, which he will be needed for next month. Cazorla also needs to generate some form, as he's been poor this season with Ozil taking up a lot of his positions in the middle.

Looking at Verm, he was good yesterday, but he has concentration problems and the 'chances' which occur tend to come from him switching off for a moment and letting someone in. Koscielny back is going to be crucial.

The midfielders, Ozil especially, needs to push forward into the box for balls over the top. We saw yesterday how Theo making a diagonal run will be picked out with the quality of passers and vision across the midfield, but you need those runs to exist in the first place, Walcott has scored plenty since he came back and is arguably 'just' match fit, and I can see the same thing happening with Podolski due to his positioning and love of a good shot, unlike Cazorla who seems to want to play the through ball, or do a little sidestep thing which seems to make most of his shots easily blocked. Gibbs is becoming one of the crucial players which makes the balance of the team work.

Lastly, I'm not expecting much from the transfer window, but surely blowing some serious money at a good striker is looking likely considering Giroud's recent loss of form.

Wilshere should be dropped for him if anyone; not Rosick?/Ramsey (both of whom have been good this season).

In the last few games, Wilshere has been better than Ramsey. Ramsey has been off form for a while now, think he needs a rest. Obviously we can't expect him to keep up to the high standards of earlier in the season, but apart from the perfect cross to Walcott, he didn't really do anything against West Ham. And because of his box-to-box style, he is probably the player most in need of a rest (Apart from Giroud).

Same with Rosicky, he's been off form. Still puts the effort in, but his passing and dribbling isn't as good as Wilshere's. Rosicky's main quality is how direct he is, but with Walcott and Podolski, we don't really need that at the start of games (At the moment at least)

Giroud simply can't handle low crosses...there is at least one a game that he should get on the end of and at least put on target but doesn't. Most games it's 3.

a sliding tap in or just putting his foot in the way is all that is needed. Is he not brave enough to stick his leg out with all those defenders around? He is brave enough in the air.

As for Podolski...he wouldn't survive as CF in our tactic. We saw it at times last year...he simply isn't physical enough and will completely disappear if he plays up front by himself. He does best coming off wing or from a second striker position like today. This allows him to take on one defender (instead of 2 or even 3) and gives him space to make runs and fire 16-20 yard strikes (like his goal today). I really love his ability to strike the ball with power when the ball is right underneath him and he is unable to get full stride and striking mechanics.

Cazorla seems to be finding his form...his passing was heads and shoulders better and his strikes were very close compared to the ones he sailed earlier this year.

I personally don't see any reason not to play Podolski on the left (given fitness) from here on out. Cazorla/ozil/rosicky won't cut it (even though they have managed for most of our 1st place run), I really don't have a desire to see one of our CMs playing a winger position. Keep Theo/ozil rotation on right and santi/ozil rotation at attacking mid. two deeper CMs can be swapped for whatever fits the matchup best.

At the start of the season, that was exactly the kind of ball that he was scoring from. I can't actually remember him scoring the season from any other kind of cross (I'm sure he will have, I just can't remember). I don't think it is a case of bravery, it's more confidence and mainly the fact he is getting worked up when he misses. He doesn't just move on, and his constant misses at the moment seem to be playing on his mind, and he is going for brute force rather than placement, unlike when he was scoring at the start of the season. If he can score a goal or two, I reckon he'll go on another run.

And yeah, Podolski definitely can't play as a lone striker. His movement in the box is awful, and as you said he isn't strong enough to hold the ball up. For Podolski's goal, if Lukas had been the striker, he wouldn't of been able to hold the ball up like Giroud, and we wouldn't of scored.
We can't really play Ozil on the right, as A) We need Walcott to much, and B) He doesn't track back, which is what we need from our wingers. It's the same situation we had with Arshavin, fantastic player (Although obviously Ozil is better), but won't track back. At the moment, I think our best midfield is:

Podolski/Cazorla - Ozil - Walcott
Flamini - Wilshere

The downside to that, is we can't have the completely fluid midfielders like we did at the start of the season, interchanging positions. Because neither Walcott or Podolski can play in the centre, and Cazorla doesn't really fit that fluid system. He works best with everyone else staying in their position, and just him roaming. It's a dilemma for Wenger, and one we'll have to just hope he gets right!

P.S. Giroud still looks more like someone who needs another striker next to him to me. If Ozil starts tracking back, I'd love to see the days of our 4-4-2 come back, but with Giroud in the role Bergkamp played. This would allow walcott to play up front, or even better, if we buy a Higuain TYPE player in January.

I like Podolski, he's one of those players that is useful with a powerful left foot even if he can't do many other things.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Seen rumours we're going back in for Luiz Gustavo
I doubt that Wolfsburg would be willing to sell, to be honest. They're lying in fifth-place at the moment, which is better than they've done in previous seasons, and they'd need Gustavo to seriously challenge for Europe. If Arsenal got him, he'd be a great signing, but I reckon it's unlikely.

What's the situation surrounding Oxlade-Chamberlain at the moment? I really like him, I think he's a top player with both strength and pace, but I'm assuming his absence is due to injury? If so, how long is he out for?

I doubt that Wolfsburg would be willing to sell, to be honest. They're lying in fifth-place at the moment, which is better than they've done in previous seasons, and they'd need Gustavo to seriously challenge for Europe. If Arsenal got him, he'd be a great signing, but I reckon it's unlikely.

What's the situation surrounding Oxlade-Chamberlain at the moment? I really like him, I think he's a top player with both strength and pace, but I'm assuming his absence is due to injury? If so, how long is he out for?

He was injured, but I'm pretty sure I saw mentions of him being fit for the game against Newcastle.

Edit: Or not, just looked at the Arsenal website and speaking on the 20th of December Wenger said he won't be back until the New Year.

Last edited:

When he was asked about rumours linking him with Barca, he said his contract has a release clause, and if anyone wanted to buy him, if they matched it he'd be willing to move.

Of course, getting an offer from Barca is completely different to getting an offer from Arsenal.

For anyone that's not heard, Vermaelen is ill, Ozil has a shoulder problem and Monreal is also dropped. Why isn't Podolski starting?!

Team:
Szcz
Sagna Mert Kosc Gibbs
Rosicky Flamini Wilshere
Walcott Giroud Cazorla

For anyone that's not heard, Vermaelen is ill, Ozil has a shoulder problem and Monreal is also dropped. Why isn't Podolski starting?!

Team:
Szcz
Sagna Mert Kosc Gibbs
Rosicky Flamini Wilshere
Walcott Giroud Cazorla

Exactly, he changed the game for us the other day and played really well.

Giroud finally scored! Just a shame he then managed to someone how miss that almost empty net. Worried that might of got rid of any condifence he may of just got.

Let's get Arteta and Poldi on, and Cazorla off.

Good that Giroud scored but its unfair on Poldi that he wasn't bought on.

Last edited:
Great win by the lads, they show the champion mentality. Mertesacker was outstanding the guy is the ******* berlin wall, there?s no way you?ll get past him. Great workrate and stamina by Flamini you can see he really cares about the club the way he gives his best on every bit of play, and to add on Ben Arfa is a tough man to mark great pace and skill.
About the substitutions Jenkinson was awful after the first corner where krul goes up(about 89th minute) Jenkinson gets a throw in very close to krul's goal but he waits until everyone gets back instead of playing it quick to Bentdner who was totally clear to goal.
I know he played like 10 minutes but Bentdner had a very good game, he was key to hold up the ball on some plays. A great chest pass to wilshere when arsenal had trouble playing it out of the defense and a crucial interception near the middle of a pitch when I think debuchy launched a long cross.
Great match by arsenal and It?s nice to see Wenger making a rational move, it would have been stupid not to defend the way he did after getting a result in such a tough away game.

We built our confidence early in the season by setting up the great wall in final minutes and holding. Hopefully this boosts our confidence.

strange how inviting the other team to have all the possession and shots and completely stuffing them is as good for morale as a 5+ goal game.

Team:
Szcz
Sagna Mert Kosc Gibbs
Rosicky Flamini Wilshere
Walcott Giroud Cazorla

I presume it's a creativity thing, wanting Cazorla drifting in and pulling people around to give Gibbs the overlap.

The way the match turned out though, Cazorla really hasn't found any form this year beyond a good couple of games. I don't know if he's trying to hard, but he seems to struggle to 'spot' the movement ahead of him and find the pass.

I presume it's a creativity thing, wanting Cazorla drifting in and pulling people around to give Gibbs the overlap.

The way the match turned out though, Cazorla really hasn't found any form this year beyond a good couple of games. I don't know if he's trying to hard, but he seems to struggle to 'spot' the movement ahead of him and find the pass.
Im not too worried about him, we have players who can also provide creativity while hes off form. What i am worried about is Giroud, he scored today yes but come on it was the faintest of touches and I think it would go in even without it. We need somebody else but Giroud, not to replace him even but just to challange him for the spot because right now he'll play in most matches anyway while being off form. Look what happened to Szc when he was benched, competition for places is GOOD

Back