The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
tribute to wenger being on top after 20games above moneybags man city and chelsea hope he wins it this year for yis he deserves it for his mastery scouting skills and finds over the years

Is it just me or do anyone else think this whole master scout persona of Wenger is a tad exaggerated?

Is it just me or do anyone else think this whole master scout persona of Wenger is a tad exaggerated?
Wenger is a good manager, but the lack of plan B at times is quite visible.

Last edited:

Yes as the whole scouting isn't down to a one man. Players like Petit, Vieira and Henry etc were true Wenger "findings" as he knew about them, but since then it was one of our scouts who found Cesc, RVP and others.

Only just saw that we've drawn Coventry in next round. So far had really bad luck in draws in every competition so far, but not this time.

Good chance to rest some senior players and give Zelalem his first start maybe. Also I believe Ox will start that one as he's now back in full training. Also after Walcott injury Wenger will probably move for a new striker. Coventry game would be perfect opportunity to allow possible new signings to start a game and start their integration to the team.

He's been a lot better lately, rather than dominating possession fruitlessly, he's helping the team develop from a proper defence and transition quickly into attack. Whereas before, due to the quality of his defence he almost had to hold possession for the sake of not conceding, instead of relying on his team to be able to transition.

wenger has always shown to be tactically flexible. especially this year with midfield combinations and training our d to drop back into a 5 man line.

Dr axle to the arsenal in the summer heating up. supposedly visited us recently

Dr axle to the arsenal in the summer heating up. supposedly visited us recently
I assume you mean Draxler? As much of a good player he is, I really don't think you need another attacking-midfielder! Maybe if someone leaves (Podolski, Rosick??), but I think it would be a waste of an investment if no-one does.

So if we do go for a striker, which of these three would you choose?

Pato
Diego Costa
Jackson Martinez

Definitely not Pato, not that good anymore, and plagued by injuries. Costa is by far the better player, but Martinez would be alot cheaper, and more realistic this transfer window. If we were able to get Costa, but I'd rather have Martinez now than wait until the Summer to get Costa

I assume you mean Draxler? As much of a good player he is, I really don't think you need another attacking-midfielder! Maybe if someone leaves (Podolski, Rosick??), but I think it would be a waste of an investment if no-one does.

He's different to what we already have though, he's more of a dribbler but with less passing ability. Plus he's a winger anyway, which we still need at least 1 more of

Theo Walcott is out for the rest of the season. Discuss.

He's was on top form, gutted to see him out. Surely this means Wenger'll buy a striker though, even just a short-term option? At the moment, the only striker in the squad not injured is Akpom! (Podolski is clearly not a striker, and has never performed their since being at Arsenal)

**** it, I was just about to deliver the Theo news. It is a major blow, and like Scotty said, this should encourage Wenger to buy a decent back-up striker who can also start games and influence them if need be, *cough* Mart?nez *cough*.

Feel for him though, means he's gonna miss a 2nd World Cup in a row. Also worried this could affect him a lot in the long run, as this kind of injury could severely affect his pace (which is clearly his main asset), and it is possible well never see him back to where he was (Like what happened to Torres)

Oh yeah, I hadn't even thought about the World Cup. He must be devastated. And I do hope it doesn't have an adverse affect on his speed.

Aye, Gnabry will be looking to step it up, but Walcott's form has been superb and he's a key player for us now. He will probably lose some of his pace unless his recovery is flawless.. the problem is once you get this sort of injury you're more susceptible to a similar one in the future..

Best thing for Walcott now is to just forget about getting back and playing and focus purely on recovery, rushing back is just likely to end ruining him.

Back