The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Well Podolski isn't a starter now and while I like him I think Griezmann is better and will become much better. Also Theo's role isn't to keep width, but to in a way be our second striker which you can see if you look at his average positions. And we need goals now that Theo's injured.

Theo starts off wide, then cuts in. If you look at the majority of his goals, he starts off out wide (Unless he is playing as a striker obviously). Also, it's not just when he's got the ball. He stands near the touchline, which stretches the defense even if he doesn't touch the ball. And I think Podolski should be a starter, as his long-shots can change a match on it's own, and I honestly think he is one of the best crossers of the ball in the league (From/near the byline at least)

Theo starts off wide, then cuts in. If you look at the majority of his goals, he starts off out wide (Unless he is playing as a striker obviously). Also, it's not just when he's got the ball. He stands near the touchline, which stretches the defense even if he doesn't touch the ball. And I think Podolski should be a starter, as his long-shots can change a match on it's own, and I honestly think he is one of the best crossers of the ball in the league (From/near the byline at least)
Podolski would probably start for most of the teams in the league, but your attacking-midfield position is so saturated with quality that he can't really find a way in. Apart from when there's injuries, of course.

Podolski would probably start for most of the teams in the league, but your attacking-midfield position is so saturated with quality that he can't really find a way in. Apart from when there's injuries, of course.

Which is why we don't need to spend ?20m+ on another leftsided winger.

I think wenger will sell podolski by the end of the season if he gets Griezzman or Draxler. I like podolski he is a great player but he does not seem to be into wenger's plans.

I think wenger will sell podolski by the end of the season if he gets Griezzman or Draxler. I like podolski he is a great player but he does not seem to be into wenger's plans.

Aye he can't dribble and against decent sides gets found out. We don't need any more players who help us win 3 or 4-0 against the lower sides, we need the players who can turn a game themselves with fantastic close control and intelligence. Podolski, for all his international caps, seems to find it very hard to read runs and in our setup he rarely get the chance to counter-attack and make use of his finishing ability in a 1v1.

Aye he can't dribble and against decent sides gets found out. We don't need any more players who help us win 3 or 4-0 against the lower sides, we need the players who can turn a game themselves with fantastic close control and intelligence. Podolski, for all his international caps, seems to find it very hard to read runs and in our setup he rarely get the chance to counter-attack and make use of his finishing ability in a 1v1.

I agree with you, but I cant see him moving clubs at least this window. Anyways I trust wenger?s decision on the matter Im sure he knows what`s best for the team.

Lol when he is healthy he bangs in goals about as well as one could expect...now he's not good enough for us? Only flaw I see is that his tracking back is hit and miss and he is injury prone. Is he a cazorla or Gervinho dribbler...no but if you thought that was his game then you didn't know who we were getting.

Lol when he is healthy he bangs in goals about as well as one could expect...now he's not good enough for us? Only flaw I see is that his tracking back is hit and miss and he is injury prone. Is he a cazorla or Gervinho dribbler...no but if you thought that was his game then you didn't know who we were getting.

He can be a decent player to have, but in my view, as I said in my previous post, he can't take top sides apart and he is better with the final ball through to him, which isn't especially how we play. We have yet to see how Ozil can play with Podolski (ideally, this has potential). Nobody thought Podolski was a good dribbler, he just has to be able to hold on to the ball and make things happen, and for 18m he does seem to be a bit of a one trick pony (for how he works with us). The whole way the team is set up, is to overload the opposition and make runs through the middle, and he has to be able to both see those runs and do something about them, along with finish. In tight games, I doubt we can afford to lose the ball as much as we'd need to for those speculative long shots to actually have a chance of going in.

He can be a decent player to have, but in my view, as I said in my previous post, he can't take top sides apart and he is better with the final ball through to him, which isn't especially how we play. We have yet to see how Ozil can play with Podolski (ideally, this has potential). Nobody thought Podolski was a good dribbler, he just has to be able to hold on to the ball and make things happen, and for 18m he does seem to be a bit of a one trick pony (for how he works with us). The whole way the team is set up, is to overload the opposition and make runs through the middle, and he has to be able to both see those runs and do something about them, along with finish. In tight games, I doubt we can afford to lose the ball as much as we'd need to for those speculative long shots to actually have a chance of going in.

Without Podolski, we wouldn't of made the top four last year. He is quite often the player to turn a game around on his own. His crossing is second to none, and although he can't play as a lone striker, he reads the game aswell as Griezmann, Draxler or any of the other wingers that we've been linked with. Cazorla isn't as good at long-shots, and tries much more of them, but that isn't being mentioned. I would honestly rather have Podolski in the starting XI in big games than Santi and Ozil together. (That is, I would obviously want one playing, but when together we have at least 4 very similar midfielders on the pitch, which against the bigger teams is too predictable)

Game is On. 1-0 Jack scoring.

Good also to see proper refereeing so far in this game.

Oh it's already 2-0 with Giroud

**** yeeessssss.... **** yeeeeessssssss ..... 2 goals in 45 seconds... :D

Keep this going or maybe add one or two and then we can easily add Podolski and Ox in second half to get them some minutes.

Arsene and his legendary coat with zipper giving him more problems than whole AV team :)

Worrying that. Monreal has looked solid so hopefully his injury won't be a big deal. Should have strolled along to 0-3 and just kicked it about a bit. I thought Gnabry played well, unsure why we even needed Rosicky on for him really. Chamberlain had a few minutes, which was nice to see, though I agree Cazorla is well off form, drifts all over the place and isn't doing what he needs to do, recycling the ball and looking for a good opening.

Worrying that. Monreal has looked solid so hopefully his injury won't be a big deal. Should have strolled along to 0-3 and just kicked it about a bit. I thought Gnabry played well, unsure why we even needed Rosicky on for him really. Chamberlain had a few minutes, which was nice to see, though I agree Cazorla is well off form, drifts all over the place and isn't doing what he needs to do, recycling the ball and looking for a good opening.

Still no news about Monreal's metatersal. Can't remember what's the usual time out for that kind of injury, but hopefully not in months.

I also wondered why it was Gnabry who was taken off. He didn't play well, but wasn't bad either where as Santi's passing was well off. We didn't look like conceding that much before his wayward pass. Wouldn't have wanted to be Santi after that. Per was going mental for that pass. :D

Still no news about Monreal's metatersal. Can't remember what's the usual time out for that kind of injury, but hopefully not in months.

Varies massively and depends on which one and how badly.
Generally though 10 weeks or so on average.

Without Podolski, we wouldn't of made the top four last year. He is quite often the player to turn a game around on his own. His crossing is second to none, and although he can't play as a lone striker, he reads the game aswell as Griezmann, Draxler or any of the other wingers that we've been linked with. Cazorla isn't as good at long-shots, and tries much more of them, but that isn't being mentioned. I would honestly rather have Podolski in the starting XI in big games than Santi and Ozil together. (That is, I would obviously want one playing, but when together we have at least 4 very similar midfielders on the pitch, which against the bigger teams is too predictable)

You are right. He was crucial to our season and is great finisher who can also create opportunities for others. He isn't a player who can play alone up top, but would probably do really well as part of 2 man striker force. He has shown last season that he can link really well with Giroud. ( Best example that Montpellier goal ). He was also pretty solid as part of 2 man attack for Koln.

So why not stick him up front with Giroud. We have Gibbs/Monreal who are both great at attacking and defending. At right we have Sagna who's crossing has been much better this season and backup in Jenkinson who has been quite good crosser always. So no problems with width.

For some only problem is ?zil. How do we get best from him if we play with 2 up front? Well how does City get best out of Nasri and Silva? Magical rectangle. ?zil/Santi/Rozza/Ox/Gnabry is pretty great selection for 2 positions.

Then centre midfield. Rambo/Jack with Flamini/Arteta is pretty great aswell. If there are injury problems I think Rozza could manage it aswell as Ox as evidenced by that Milan game where he played in CM and Wenger sees his future there.

I think this could work really well especially against "weaker" opponents at home. Tougher away games we should still go with 4231. Good thing about this formation is that it's pretty easy to slip back into 4231 if needed.

The only problem that could come up. What if Podolski get's injured? Who could be the second striker? Gnabry I think could manage odd game or two, but not in long term. I think Draxler here might be the solution.

Edit: Also it's impossible not to like Lukas

View attachment 433339

Last edited:
Back