The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Arsenal, and at the moment i don`t think we gonna get CL spot at the end of the season if we`re going to play like that.
Last 2 games(L`pool & Utd) showed us how **** we are ...
For a title contender to play like that 2 games in a row is UNACCEPTABLE.
We have no strenght, no durability, no poachers, no attack, just ******* midfielders over midfielders over midfielders.

Bit reactionary this.

It shows how important movement is in Wenger's system. If the opposition defence is disciplined and pressures the pivots then this causes more pressure on the team. Everyone needs to move and provide passing options, if the team looks tired, the system starts to fall apart as the passing options reduce.. the pressure increases on the defence. Guardiola operates a similar system (possession based and changes of tempo), yet he enforces rigorous defensive instructions when the side loses the ball. If you look at the team when they lose the ball, if the AMs take their time running back, it makes the pressure from the striker redundant as the defence has an easy passing outlet. It makes the CMs unable to close with their man as the 'free' opposition wingbacks need to be marshalled. The whole team becomes much more easy to play through, which is something Mourinho appreciated by forcing his midfield trio to work very hard.

I do like Wenger, but his idealism at times gets in the way of practicalities. I'd much prefer it if the team kept on working hard, and the problem with the recent pressure on Ozil (his poor performance and his Berbatov like workrate) means that the rest of the team slowly feels "Well, if he isn't closing down, why should I do it?". You can say a lot about Mourinho and Mata, and the Chelsea thread has covered this, but when you start making exceptions and protecting single players and their individual style, it doesn't help the team ethos.

Ramsey helped cover this, because of his incredible workrate and his goal-scoring in tight games. He forced the opposition to track him, and his technique means he could pass, create, and also tackle well enough to cover a lot of breaks. Arteta is much more limited and looks exposed this season, however blaming Arteta isn't entirely accurate since he's being forced to do more thanks to those ahead of him. Flamini's sending off has been extremely costly to us, but considering Ozil was never going to be the final piece of the jigsaw, I'd prefer getting a firm list of new players for the summer and bringing them in early to properly integrate them.

I'm not confident regarding Bayern or the Liverpool FA cup tie, so we need to focus on a strong finish to the league. If other teams keep making mistakes then we might surprise ourselves, but drawing a blank against such defensively shaky sides as Liverpool and United shows that whilst the system works, the players do not appear to be putting in enough effort to force those openings.

Last edited:
Arsenal, and at the moment i don`t think we gonna get CL spot at the end of the season if we`re going to play like that.
Last 2 games(L`pool & Utd) showed us how **** we are ...
For a title contender to play like that 2 games in a row is UNACCEPTABLE.
We have no strenght, no durability, no poachers, no attack, just ******* midfielders over midfielders over midfielders.

Fair enough about the Liverpool game, but not about last night. Before the Liverpool match, we would of been happy with a point from each. As it ended up, we got 1 point instead of 2. Still not that bad. (Surely it is better to lose occasionally by a tonne of goals, than frequently lose by a close margin?)

And when you play a possession game, the majority will be midfielders. Barca were the best team in the world without a recognised striker (I am counting Messi as a false 9), and Spain won the Euro's like that. Which proves it can work.

We played well last night, we just didn't have the final product. But after getting beat 5-1, you can expect the team to be more defensive. And it was good to see Ozil back on form, he was the 3rd best player on the pitch for me (After Szczesny and De Gea)

Fair enough about the Liverpool game, but not about last night. Before the Liverpool match, we would of been happy with a point from each. As it ended up, we got 1 point instead of 2. Still not that bad. (Surely it is better to lose occasionally by a tonne of goals, than frequently lose by a close margin?)

And when you play a possession game, the majority will be midfielders. Barca were the best team in the world without a recognised striker (I am counting Messi as a false 9), and Spain won the Euro's like that. Which proves it can work.

We played well last night, we just didn't have the final product. But after getting beat 5-1, you can expect the team to be more defensive. And it was good to see Ozil back on form, he was the 3rd best player on the pitch for me (After Szczesny and De Gea)
Both Bar?a and Spain had David Villa; Spain also had an on-form Torres (for the Euros, and to a lesser extent, the World Cup).

Exactly. He never really played as a striker for Barca... which is exactly what I said.
You said "Barca were the best team in the world without a recognised striker", which is different: just because they didn't employ him as a striker, doesn't mean they didn't have a recognised striker.

You said "Barca were the best team in the world without a recognised striker", which is different: just because they didn't employ him as a striker, doesn't mean they didn't have a recognised striker.

Okay, I'll rephrase it for you shall I? Barca were the best team in the world without playing a recognised striker. Is that better for you?

Well this is alot better than last weekend. Been very impressed by Sanogo so far, and Ozil has looked lively again. But by far the best player on the pitch has been Chambo, absolutely tearing the Liverpool defense to shreads! :D

Well this is alot better than last weekend. Been very impressed by Sanogo so far, and Ozil has looked lively again. But by far the best player on the pitch has been Chambo, absolutely tearing the Liverpool defense to shreads! :D

Sanogo was ok, much more effective than Giroud was at Anfield anyway. If he can learn to keep his hands off the defenders when playing away from the Emirates he could be pretty dangerous, otherwise he's just going to get penalised constantly like Crouch used too for Liverpool. Especially in Europe.

Whilst Oxlade-Chamberlain's had a decent game, I wouldn't say he's tearing our defence to shreds. I'd personally say that Sterling's been more positive, and has had a better game.

Giroud's cause is something we really didn't need. I hope Wenger find a way to sort it out without affecting morale and/or dropping Giroud.

Why would he drop Giroud for banging some model that looks like man with ****.

Yeah I wasn't impressed, Giroud is a good looking lad, and ends up with quite a rough looking glamour model. I've had prettier girlfriends and I don't earn 100k a week nor get on the telly. Cheating on your wife for someone who looks less sexy than your wife, don't see the point.

tumblr_m8pf5scVzu1rdhw9so1_400.jpg

Back