The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Not the worst game, at least Flaps had his last stand in the goal before leaving for free in the summer.

Ozil putting in his customary disappearing act during a big game as well

Fabianski? He was easily Arsenal's best player on the pitch.

After Ox and perhaps Mertesacker. He has been quite good when called upon these last 2-3 years. Some team will get a quality GK for free this summer.

Not last game for Fabianski as he will play against Wigan in semi's.

Ozil putting in his customary disappearing act during a big game as well

Getting injured and subbed does that to a player ;)

Can't really blame him as almost everytime he had noone to pass to or when he was at decent position pass never came to him.

Look everyone knows i am not a fan of Wenger and have been saying ever since the loss to Birmingham in the League Cup that he needs to go in order for Arsenal to try and get back to the top on a regular basis again and tonight's mistake was so shocking for a manager who has been around for so long. Taking Miyaichi to name him on the bench but not being able to because you did not register him for the competition is woeful and embarrassing for a club of Arsenal's stature and Wenger's experience. Of course it wasn't the reason they lost the tie but only naming 6 subs because of this sort of mistake is really poor form.

We didn't have 7 players available who could have contributed / changed the game so having 6 subs didn't matter at all. I also doubt very much it was Arsene's mistake. Probably some clerk just got it wrong and Arsene thought he was eligible.

Getting injured and subbed does that to a player ;)

Can't really blame him as almost everytime he had noone to pass to or when he was at decent position pass never came to him.

Yeah because every other big game, he has been absolutely brilliant isn't it? He was pretty dreadful before being subbed anyways

Last edited:
After Ox and perhaps Mertesacker. He has been quite good when called upon these last 2-3 years. Some team will get a quality GK for free this summer.

Not last game for Fabianski as he will play against Wigan in semi's.

Ah yes, Ox probably tops him, not Mertesacker, at least not for me.

Yeah because every other big game, he has been absolutely brilliant isn't it? He was pretty dreadful before being subbed anyways
What do you mean Ozil is overrated? Did you not see his pass vs Sunderland?

We didn't have 7 players available who could have contributed / changed the game so having 6 subs didn't matter at all. I also doubt very much it was Arsene's mistake. Probably some clerk just got it wrong and Arsene thought he was eligible.

Surely its something a manager should know? I believe he was registered to play in the earlier rounds but you took him off as you thought he would going out on loan. That is part Arsene's ****-up i'm afraid and although it didn't change the result its embarrassing.

Surely its something a manager should know? I believe he was registered to play in the earlier rounds but you took him off as you thought he would going out on loan. That is part Arsene's ****-up i'm afraid and although it didn't change the result its embarrassing.

Arsene isn't the one submitting player lists to UEFA. He has bigger role with us than I think any other manager has with their clubs, but doubt he's doing all those things :) Might be case of someone failing to inform Wenger of the change. Similar kind of things happen all the time in ordinary world so why not there also. If Ryo was removed by someone he should have been readded as soon as it was known he wasn't going on loan. Also if it were a player who could bring something to the team then it would be, but in Ryo's case not so embarrassing as you'd like it to be.

Only Ox played well of our offensive players. Cazorla or Podolski weren't any better, but people aren't singling them out for some reason. He hasn't been the best he can be, but he is still statswise contributing quite well. He would also fare much better if Walcott and Ramsey were fit. Both of them suit him better than what we currently have playing.

Wenger is ****, keeps coming out with the same nonsense. Lacks tactical nouse.
Ozil isn't worth 42m, what a ******* ***** player.
Lack of attitude, if it was Chelsea/Liverpool/Man Utd we would have buried them 4-0.
Arsenal don't have a positive team mentality.

There you go, I'll do the replies for you. I've stayed away from this thread recently as the quality of the posts have been atrocious. If you want to stick the boot in, fine, but I suggest you do it in an inventive or funny way or don't do it at all.

The core of the game is we couldn't 'turn their defence'. Giroud is pedestrian, Vermaelen didn't offer the same recovery pace or attacking intent as Gibbs, and Ramsey and Walcott are both badly missed. Bayern did the bare minimum they needed to go through, and losing Ozil will be a loss for the team. We will likely play Cazorla in the hole and Chamberlain on the left against Spurs.

Only Ox played well of our offensive players. Cazorla or Podolski weren't any better, but people aren't singling them out for some reason. He hasn't been the best he can be, but he is still statswise contributing quite well. He would also fare much better if Walcott and Ramsey were fit. Both of them suit him better than what we currently have playing.
"statswise" I believe stats aren't exactly accurate measure to judge performance. Hazard against City, created less chances than Willian, no assist or goal, yet he was probably MOTM for most Chelsea fans (tied with Matic?)

Assists, Ozil's final ball delivery is very good, but his overall game hasn't really been.

People are singling Ozil out because he cost significantly more than both Cazorla and Podolski, and is playing at a similar (or even worse) standard at the moment.

Also, stats can't really be used to defend a player's performances when they're off-form, it's only really a good indicator when its used as a complement to actually watching the player play. In other words, stats can be used to prove a player's playing well (when he is also making conspicuous contributions on the pitch), but they can't really be used as the sole way to defend a player's performances. This isn't really a criticism aimed at you, but just in general.

Last edited:
"statswise" I believe stats aren't exactly accurate measure to judge performance. Hazard against City, created less chances than Willian, no assist or goal, yet he was probably MOTM for most Chelsea fans (tied with Matic?)

Assists, Ozil's final ball delivery is very good, but his overall game hasn't really been.

Statswise sentence is about contributing and that means for offensive player Goals, assists and Chances Created mostly. He hasn't been performing at his full capacity yet I agree, but also players who have been playing with him for most of the season haven't been ones who really compliment him. It isn't really a suprise that as soon as Rambo was injured Ozil's contribution dropped. Lack of winter break might also have had effect.

People are singling Ozil out because he cost significantly more than both Cazorla and Podolski, and is playing at a similar (or even worse) standard at the moment.

Also, stats can't really be used to defend a player's performances when they're off-form, it's only really a good indicator when its used as a complement to actually watching the player play. In other words, stats can be used to prove a player's playing well (when he is also making conspicuous contributions on the pitch), but they can't really be used as the sole way to defend a player's performances. This isn't really a criticism aimed at you, but just in general.

On the pitch it doesn't matter at all how much you cost. People are singling him out because of it and that's unfair. He isn't a miracle worker.

I wasn't defending his performances. Just pointing out that all the while performing below par he has still contributed quite well.

On the pitch it doesn't matter at all how much you cost. People are singling him out because of it and that's unfair. He isn't a miracle worker.

I wasn't defending his performances. Just pointing out that all the while performing below par he has still contributed quite well.
I know it doesn't matter on the pitch, but I'm just stating the viewpoint of people who think it does. Also, there is a high expectation to perform on the pitch for players with high price tags, which in my opinion is fair because they are top players.

I know it doesn't matter on the pitch, but I'm just stating the viewpoint of people who think it does. Also, there is a high expectation to perform on the pitch for players with high price tags, which in my opinion is fair because they are top players.

of course there is expectation to perform. Thats why the money is spent, but funny how after performing well against Everton he's again **** according to some. Or lost. The fact is that our whole attack except Ox was just too static and result last night was good when taking everything in account. Shame that people singling out Ozil not playing well for 45mins is overshadowing it for some people.

It's only fair that if he gets so much praise when he plays well then he should also get equal amounts of criticism when he doesn't. Ozil hasn't stepped up in ANY big game so far this season. I think it's a fair point of criticism. I am not singling him out or anything like that ... Just merely stating a fact. That said, lack of winter break might have affected him but Gary Neville made a good point that even SAF used to give Ronaldo a bit of a break so it's inexcusable for a manager of Wengers experience not to do the same

Back