The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Mourinho takes over clubs who are either rich or already have a great squad, so if he had lost 6-0 then the reaction would be more extreme, and rightfully so. Wenger's Arsenal may have lost by large margins to rivals this season, but they have been solid defensively in most of their other games, which is impressive considering the price of the squad.

I personally don't remember everyone expecting Arsenal to title challenge after the Ozil signing, although I may be wrong of course. However, Ozil is only one marquee signing, where the likes of City and Chelsea have a number of players of his stature, so it's unrealistic to expect Arsenal to challenge for the title just because they've signed him.

More of the 'Mourinho only can succeed with big money and great squads' rhetoric I see? *Yawn*

Mourinho takes over clubs who are either rich or already have a great squad, so if he had lost 6-0 then the reaction would be more extreme, and rightfully so. Wenger's Arsenal may have lost by large margins to rivals this season, but they have been solid defensively in most of their other games, which is impressive considering the price of the squad.

I personally don't remember everyone expecting Arsenal to title challenge after the Ozil signing, although I may be wrong of course. However, Ozil is only one marquee signing, where the likes of City and Chelsea have a number of players of his stature, so it's unrealistic to expect Arsenal to challenge for the title just because they've signed him.

Absolute rubbish mate! What he done with Leiria and then Porto! Winning the Champions League with Benni McCarthy as your main man! He spent well and bought in un-known players at Porto, went to Chelsea where yeah he did spend money but not 1 "world class" player. His main strength is making players better not signing world class players.

I figure you need something to cheer you up after getting raped, so here it goes:

[video=youtube;2NGLIECgzg4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NGLIECgzg4[/video]

I figure you need something to cheer you up after getting raped, so here it goes:

[video=youtube;2NGLIECgzg4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NGLIECgzg4[/video]

Thanks but doubt this will do. Need some vodka quickly. Shame that my stockpile dried up after saturday result.

I was gobsmacked by the referee to be honest, although not a fan and brother supports Chelsea that match was just dreadful and they deserved something better of it.

Last nights own goal also was just a further upset and I had a friend thoroughly upset over the performances.

Absolute rubbish mate! What he done with Leiria and then Porto! Winning the Champions League with Benni McCarthy as your main man! He spent well and bought in un-known players at Porto, went to Chelsea where yeah he did spend money but not 1 "world class" player. His main strength is making players better not signing world class players.
Whilst he was good at Leiria, he wasn't exactly world-class, was he? So the point about his success there is irrelevant. At Porto, he did very well on limited resources, I'll grant you that, but Benni McCarthy is a bad example - he was also clinical under Mark Hughes at Blackburn, so are you saying that that makes Hughes a top manager?

And even if he didn't sign 'world-class' players at Chelsea, he still spent a massive amount, so it's irrelevant who he spends it on. That's like saying that the success of Fernandinho, Navas and Negredo this season make a Pellegrini a world-class manager, because none of them are 'world-class' (even though he has still spent lavishly).

Whilst he was good at Leiria, he wasn't exactly world-class, was he? So the point about his success there is irrelevant. At Porto, he did very well on limited resources, I'll grant you that, but Benni McCarthy is a bad example - he was also clinical under Mark Hughes at Blackburn, so are you saying that that makes Hughes a top manager?

And even if he didn't sign 'world-class' players at Chelsea, he still spent a massive amount, so it's irrelevant who he spends it on. That's like saying that the success of Fernandinho, Navas and Negredo this season make a Pellegrini a world-class manager, because none of them are 'world-class' (even though he has still spent lavishly).

He took Leiria to their highest ever finish so yeah that is stand out. And what he did with Porto is nothing but short of a miracle winning the Champions League and deservedly so too. Yeah McCarthy scored at Blackburn but never got a move to a bigger side. The form he got out of such average player such as Maniche and Pedro Mendes says it all. He doesn't just spend money he improves players mentally and makes them feel 10 feet tall just look at what he did with Terry and Lampard.

I'd say Nevas, Negredo and Fernandinho were more established/known than the likes of Drogba and Tiago etc at that time. Bottom line is i think he is a sensational manager and not one who only does well with money.

Good point. Could perhaps have taken a win, but considering everything that was good result. Also according to souces in Germany we've signed Josip Drmic from Nurenburg. Been pretty good having scored 15 in 26 games considering he's playing for relegation threatened team. Still need a top class forward though.

Last edited:
New signing diaby with a new contract and is starting against everton...

Ugh

I love diaby but glass is glass...He won't last long.

New signing diaby with a new contract and is starting against everton...

Ugh

I love diaby but glass is glass...He won't last long.

What new contract? Diaby's been refusing pay since that latest injury due to his religion. Even still I think it would be for the best if he went back to France next season.

What new contract? Diaby's been refusing pay since that latest injury due to his religion. Even still I think it would be for the best if he went back to France next season.

Poor article. Disregard contract part

Back