The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Newcastle are after Bendtner. Good luck to them.
They like their useless strikers, don't they? First Shola Ameobi, now Bendtner (I know they aren't completely useless, but those two aren't exactly quality).

They are looking at Koke.
Surely if they sold Cesc they would need two midfielders? One to replace him, one to replace Xavi? I know they have some talented youth players, but most of them aren't really ready yet, especially with Atletico and Real's improvement this season.

They like their useless strikers, don't they? First Shola Ameobi, now Bendtner (I know they aren't completely useless, but those two aren't exactly quality).

Surely if they sold Cesc they would need two midfielders? One to replace him, one to replace Xavi? I know they have some talented youth players, but most of them aren't really ready yet, especially with Atletico and Real's improvement this season.

No. As they initially thought Cesc as "heir" to Xavi and Xavi staying for at least next season only thing they need is one midfielder and then try to bring one of their own youngsters through as future backup.

Bring Cesc back! :)

Hate to say if, where does he play?

We can't have the paper thin sides of before.

At the base of midfield it has to be Ramsey + another. I'd prefer Flamini or another DM like Schar. Otherwise the larger teams **** us.

If we bring Cesc, we switch Ozil right wing (presumably he was told he'd get his favoured position) and Cesc behind a nippy striker. Where does this leave Walcott, Gnabry, Podolski and Cazorla? Perhaps as a three man midfield it works but at the expense of everyone else. 30m for cesc plus a conservative 25-30m wages could be better spend on a world class DM we actually need. Only way it works is if we either sell Ozil, he is okay with playing RW, or we switch to a 3 man midfield.

Let's say Aurier is costing 10-15m, a striker/winger like Remy 15m, Cesc for 30m. That's 60m gone before starting the hunt for another striker, a DM and a centre back. Doable? Sure. But doesn't feel like Arsenal to me.

Hate to say if, where does he play?

We can't have the paper thin sides of before.

At the base of midfield it has to be Ramsey + another. I'd prefer Flamini or another DM like Schar. Otherwise the larger teams **** us.

If we bring Cesc, we switch Ozil right wing (presumably he was told he'd get his favoured position) and Cesc behind a nippy striker. Where does this leave Walcott, Gnabry, Podolski and Cazorla? Perhaps as a three man midfield it works but at the expense of everyone else. 30m for cesc plus a conservative 25-30m wages could be better spend on a world class DM we actually need. Only way it works is if we either sell Ozil, he is okay with playing RW, or we switch to a 3 man midfield.

Let's say Aurier is costing 10-15m, a striker/winger like Remy 15m, Cesc for 30m. That's 60m gone before starting the hunt for another striker, a DM and a centre back. Doable? Sure. But doesn't feel like Arsenal to me.

When looking at Ozil heat map he tends to drift into wide areas so him playing at RW wouldn't be a problem as he'd have freedom to do what he wants. Only thing that would be needed is player on other wing to make those runs especially if Giroud plays. Ramsey + Cesc midfield would handle 75% of the Premiership games easily and in those harder fixtures we could play 3 in midfield.

We are starting to be in position where we dont need to think who's he going to replace in team. With Cesc deal there's enough money to do the business for other areas of the team. Remember how badly we dropped when Ramsey was injured last season? Now imagine if we had Cesc then...

Yous have to buy cesc to stop him going to the scum!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

When looking at Ozil heat map he tends to drift into wide areas so him playing at RW wouldn't be a problem as he'd have freedom to do what he wants.

Except Oezil's strength is in DRIFTING INTO those spots, not starting off in them. Oezil would invariably start coming inside to find space and influence the game more, leaving his flank entirely bare, and with Arsenal's right back situation uncertain that's not a situation you want to be in. Not to mention Oezil's a far less effective player when played wide.

We are starting to be in position where we dont need to think who's he going to replace in team. With Cesc deal there's enough money to do the business for other areas of the team. Remember how badly we dropped when Ramsey was injured last season? Now imagine if we had Cesc then...

Impossible to say what would've happened, since Fabregas has spent the past three years playing as either a very offensive attacking midfielder or an auxiliary striker. Can he adjust to Ramsey's role, which is essentially a pure box-to-box remit? Maybe, but I don't see why he's necessary. Of all the players Arsenal could buy, Cesc Fabregas is one of the ones that makes the least sense.

Except Oezil's strength is in DRIFTING INTO those spots, not starting off in them. Oezil would invariably start coming inside to find space and influence the game more, leaving his flank entirely bare, and with Arsenal's right back situation uncertain that's not a situation you want to be in. Not to mention Oezil's a far less effective player when played wide.

You are right about his strenghts, but signing Cesc wouldn't automatically put Ozil on the right side just saying it could be option at times. We are likely to again play around 50-60 games a season so we need to rotate well.

Impossible to say what would've happened, since Fabregas has spent the past three years playing as either a very offensive attacking midfielder or an auxiliary striker. Can he adjust to Ramsey's role, which is essentially a pure box-to-box remit? Maybe, but I don't see why he's necessary. Of all the players Arsenal could buy, Cesc Fabregas is one of the ones that makes the least sense.

Not exactly Ramsey role, but the role Cesc has many times said is his "best and preferred role". The deep role with freedom. Ozil also wasn't necessary, but ended up improving us as would Cesc no doubt about that. Money isn't exactly a problem either and we are still owed around 10m from Barca as of last accounts so in the end we might end up paying only 20m or so.

Ozil on the wing just doesn't work. He needs to be placed centrally and he needs freedom. Having him on the wing where he would have to track back is a bit counterproductive. The man only has enough steam to run 5 times up and down the pitch before he has to be subbed.

I really think bringing Cesc back is bad idea. We have Cazorla, Ozil and Jack (I can't see him plaing alongside Ramsey and I doubt he'd push him out of team) for central spot, Theo, Ox and Gnabry on wing and Campbell returning from loan, and still have Rosa and Diaby (yea I know :D) and some promising youngsters in youth teams. If we get a DM, our midfield situation is solved for years to come, and we really don't need Cesc. Also having both Ozil and Cesc might cause some both dressing room problems (if one of them would not play regularly) and problems on the pitch (too offensive team, players running into each other space). Only way to utilize Cesc and have money for another transfers is that we sell Ozil but I really can't see Wenger doing that.

Kelly Smith just scored a fantastic goal via free kick in Women's FA Cup Final against Everton. Well worth a look. Great strike

You are right about his strenghts, but signing Cesc wouldn't automatically put Ozil on the right side just saying it could be option at times. We are likely to again play around 50-60 games a season so we need to rotate well.

True, but buying two bona fide world superstars for rotation is the preserve of pretty much no team in the world. Even Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern don't have two truly world-class players in any given position. Bayern probably come closest with Kroos and Thiago, but that's exactly why Kroos is so unsettled at the moment.

Not exactly Ramsey role, but the role Cesc has many times said is his "best and preferred role". The deep role with freedom. Ozil also wasn't necessary, but ended up improving us as would Cesc no doubt about that. Money isn't exactly a problem either and we are still owed around 10m from Barca as of last accounts so in the end we might end up paying only 20m or so.

It's pretty irrelevant what a player thinks his best role is. Walcott's spent the past half decade quietly ******** that he feels he plays best as a striker, but evidently Arsene Wenger doesn't believe that, and nor does Wenger believe that Fabregas' best position is deep given how he spent his last two (most successful, by the way) seasons as a pseudo-striker.

Nobody's said Fabregas wouldn't improve Arsenal, but that's a stupid reason for buying him. If you gave my team, Palace, a choice between a good winger and a slightly less good but miles cheaper left-back, then I'd pick the left-back, because that's what we need. In the same vein, Arsenal could drop 30 million on Fabregas, or they could spend half that on an excellent right-back to replace Sagna. And yes, you could get both, but my point is Fabregas really shouldn't be a priority at all right now.

I don't see a problem, Fabregas is pretty versatile. He can play CAM, he can play anywhere in the central midfield, and even fit in as striker if neccesary. That's plenty of opportunites to play given Arsenal's injury record.

Do you really want to throw away another season because Ramsey and Wilshere got injured, as they probably will? If you can get superstar player for 30 million , which is spare change these days for someone of Fabregas abilities, you go for it. Especially since he looks set to go to England either way, and he may as well improve one the rivals to the point where they'll be out of Arsenal's reach.

Yeh according to some journo's you don't even want Cesc back.. I can kind of see why but in reality you are just going to make an opponent a lot stronger.... particularly if he joins Liverpool or United as City already have a lot of midfield talent.

Back