The Arsenal Thread

It's finally ****** here:

Discussion: Is the "poacher" the perfect Arsenal signing this Summer?

It's basically a big mud-fight between me and this other guy; A united supporter who runs his own blog on general football (but let's ignore that part!) - he says yes, I say no. For obvious reasons, including outrageous bias and the benefit of statistics and editing, I win.

Even though you're not allowed to make up your own minds, I'll let you look on in amazement and my incredible writing skillz (they pay all the AR bills/z):

Discussion: Is the “poacher” the perfect Arsenal signing this summer? | Arsenal Report

---------- Post added at 04:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

BUMP.

New article - didn't have time to plug properly earlier but should be an interesting read if you have 5 minutes to spare!

Finally. You're actually right for once, too.

Did he actually suggest Rossi? So, so much more to his game than the archetypal poacher.

Finally. You're actually right for once, too.

Thanks! (**** off) Thanks for the comment as well - trying to redirect people to the blog because it's ****** difficult explaining why Francis Jeffers actually had skills that paid the bills in only 140 characters.

Thanks, Calum.

Did he actually suggest Rossi? So, so much more to his game than the archetypal poacher.

He didn't suggest Rossi, but did mention Lavezzi.

We both agreed that a poacher wasn't as simple as it sounds, hence the definition at the start but the idea behind Lavezzi was presumably exactly that. Offers more than "archetypal poacher" but is quick and makes poacher's movements (I don't watch Serie A, I assume that's what he meant)

Anyway - ask on the blog and I'm sure he'll explain what he meant!

He didn't suggest Rossi, but did mention Lavezzi.

We both agreed that a poacher wasn't as simple as it sounds, hence the definition at the start but the idea behind Lavezzi was presumably exactly that. Offers more than "archetypal poacher" but is quick and makes poacher's movements (I don't watch Serie A, I assume that's what he meant)

Anyway - ask on the blog and I'm sure he'll explain what he meant!

Considering Arsene Wenger is unlikely to splash out on some of the more expensive options such as Darren Bent, Giuseppe Rossi or Fernando Torres, here are a few more realistic transfer targets that could do the job: ^^

And I would, but I'm lazy and can't be bothered. Although on Lavezzi, I think he could be great at you playing as an inside forward on the left for Arshavin. Not as a 'poacher' though.

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

Turns out I could be bothered to post after all. :)

Considering Arsene Wenger is unlikely to splash out on some of the more expensive options such as Darren Bent, Giuseppe Rossi or Fernando Torres, here are a few more realistic transfer targets that could do the job: ^^

And I would, but I'm lazy and can't be bothered. Although on Lavezzi, I think he could be great at you playing as an inside forward on the left for Arshavin. Not as a 'poacher' though.

Point stands - we're not suggesting anyone is an "archetypal" one thing or the other, but if you disagree on the definition, I would be more than happy to change it if I agree. Post on the blog and we'll take a look - it takes 2 minutes.

Interesting on Lavezzi - has he played there before?

EDIT: Thanks =)

Last edited:
Point stands - we're not suggesting anyone is an "archetypal" one thing or the other, but if you disagree on the definition, I would be more than happy to change it if I agree. Post on the blog and we'll take a look - it takes 2 minutes.

Interesting on Lavezzi - has he played there before?

EDIT: Thanks =)

Yeup. Napoli 3-0 Juventus: three headers from Cavani – or was it? | Zonal Marking

I think he'd slot into your system perfectly, although probably out of budget.

I've told you several times I don't do Serie A.

More comments please =D

Ix had 142 for her first big article, I want 143. Or else.

Ah shurrup you old woman.

It will take a herculean effort to overtake Ix. Frankly, it'll likely take a massive argument. :p

Brittania stadium looks really awesome for some reason, come on stoke! Walters hatrick...

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

Talking of english, Gibbs is starting.

Arsenal line up: Szczesny, Sagna, Koscielny, Djourou, Gibbs, Walcott, Ramsey, Song, Wilshere, Arshavin, Van Persie.
Subs: Lehmann, Vermaelen, Rosicky, Squillaci, Eboue, Chamakh, Bendtner.

Arsene Wenger Post Stoke

a disappointing performance…
Yes, it was a disappointing performance. The competitive level of Stoke was higher than ours. I think we lost the game because Stoke defended much better than we did and with much more purpose.
on Arsenal’s inconsistency…
That’s the Premier League. If you do not turn up with the same competitive spirit in every game you can lose games everywhere. Stoke defend well and make it difficult for you. The most important thing here is not to be 1-0 down and with the first free kick we were 1-0 down. In a game like that, we did not penetrate enough. At the end of the day we were not dangerous enough.
on conceding another goal from a set-piece…
We [have] conceded, I think, 21 from set-pieces and only 17 in open play. Less than anybody else in open play [but] we have been caught on set-pieces. Today, [Kenwyne] Jones didn’t even need to jump to head the ball in. That is something we have to correct. It is the easiest thing to correct in the game but you still must understand the flight of the ball and want to be first to the ball. I feel we are sometimes a bit naïve.
on Arsenal’s season…
This team has done well overall this season. This is not the best moment to analyse [the season] after a disappointing game. If you analyse all the competitions and how we have done, we have done well. Something has gone [and] you could see that today. We have to take a distance and make the right analysis of the season.
on Thomas Vermaelen’s return to the squad…
I would love to have had him and maybe I can give him the last two games, I don’t know.
on going 1-0 behind…
I thought Stoke were more competitive than we were. Stoke are a good team. They have a lot of confidence. They have the FA Cup Final [next weekend] and maybe if they had to fight from 1-0 down it would have been different but from 1-0 up they didn’t have a lot to go for. They defended well and caught us on the break.
on Aaron Ramsey’s return to Britannia Stadium…
He did alright, he was not scared. But of course he is still short because he has not played enough games. [Substituting him] was just a tactical thing because we were 2-0 down and needed to go for more penetration. We had a lot of possession but not a lot of progression

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-you-could-see-today-that-something-has-gone-

Djouro should have done more better, especially closing pennat in the goal screamer and the goal in the second half

NEW POST: Stoke 3-1 Arsenal: Potters show Gunners how to win football matches

Discussing:

- Why Arsenal collapse every year
- The new midfield trio and why it's not quite complete yet
- Arsenal's inverted expectations: How Wenger thought Stoke would play, and how they actually did!