The Arsenal Thread

NEW POST: Stoke 3-1 Arsenal: Potters show Gunners how to win football matches

Discussing:

- Why Arsenal collapse every year
- The new midfield trio and why it's not quite complete yet
- Arsenal's inverted expectations: How Wenger thought Stoke would play, and how they actually did!

stoke got a rehearsal for the fa cup final by beating gunz.

I would hope for us to sign Kevin Gamiero. From what I've seen, he could be that ''poacher'' to fill in when RVP is injured, and if not, he can slot in on the wing. Shouldn't be too expensive and we have a great relationship with L'Orient. Sign him up!

Samba has said he thinks a move to us was close in January. I hope we get him, we could do with a strong, no nonsence, EPL experienced defender. He might not suit our style, but maybe we need a bit of a change especially in the defensive third and his height + strength are obvious advantages.

I would hope for us to sign Kevin Gamiero. From what I've seen, he could be that ''poacher'' to fill in when RVP is injured, and if not, he can slot in on the wing. Shouldn't be too expensive and we have a great relationship with L'Orient. Sign him up!

with silly bendtner dreaming of barca (lame). some how i have given up hope in him. same with chamkh, but with sympaht cuz ihe was brilliant in the first half of teh season

fingers crossed gamiero and hazard

NOO!!!!! Discussion: Is the “poacher” the perfect Arsenal signing this summer? | Arsenal Report

Samba has said he thinks a move to us was close in January. I hope we get him, we could do with a strong, no nonsence, EPL experienced defender. He might not suit our style, but maybe we need a bit of a change especially in the defensive third and his height + strength are obvious advantages.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRING. Height and strength obvious advantages against teams like Blackburn and Stoke. That's about it. Good defender, but can't pass for toffee & is slow/immobile. What use is that to us in a high line? Someone like Hernandez would rip him a new one - Koscielny, Djourou, Vermaelen, Bartley > Our first 4 CB choices next season. Vermaelen is a "strong, no nonsense leader" isn't he?

with silly bendtner dreaming of barca (lame). some how i have given up hope in him. same with chamkh, but with sympaht cuz ihe was brilliant in the first half of teh season

fingers crossed gamiero and hazard

When did he say that? Wenger is hopeful of getting him to stay, which is a good thing IMO.

How can you give up on Chamakh after half a bad season? That's absolutely ridiculous - you said yourself: "with sympaht cuz ihe was brilliant in the first half of teh season" >> A sentence I can barely make sense of but is just completely unfair. He'll be much better next season when he's had time to adjust to the English league.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRING. Height and strength obvious advantages against teams like Blackburn and Stoke. That's about it. Good defender, but can't pass for toffee & is slow/immobile. What use is that to us in a high line? Someone like Hernandez would rip him a new one - Koscielny, Djourou, Vermaelen, Bartley > Our first 4 CB choices next season. Vermaelen is a "strong, no nonsense leader" isn't he?
I didn't mean to bring him in as a starter. I meant bring him in as cover for others, either 3rd or 4th choice, but start him against teams like Blackburn, Stoke, Bolton all the ones that tend to cause us a bit of trouble. Obviously it would be pointless starting him against United and the like because as you said, he would be ineffective in a high line.

But the fact we have conceded more goals from set pieces than open play suggests something needs to change and I suspect we wouldn't concede nearly as much with a player like Samba in there defending. Not to mention he would probably score a few as well.

Point stands - we're not suggesting anyone is an "archetypal" one thing or the other, but if you disagree on the definition, I would be more than happy to change it if I agree. Post on the blog and we'll take a look - it takes 2 minutes.

Interesting on Lavezzi - has he played there before?

EDIT: Thanks =)

I did say lavezzi was an ideal option :p

or... GAMIERO <3.

Cheaper. A whole lot cheaper.

or... GAMIERO <3.

but is he going to be more consistent than arshavin? Lavezzi has shown that he would almost certainly would be, and is much more than just a finisher, likes to come deep and play when needed, so could slot in up front easily when RVP inevitably gets injured

I just think that the current Napoli squad 'seem' fiercely loyal. I'm not sure why, you just get a sense that their a tight nit group. Tied with the fact that they could have champions league football makes Lavezzi seem unrealistic to me.

I just think that the current Napoli squad 'seem' fiercely loyal. I'm not sure why, you just get a sense that their a tight nit group. Tied with the fact that they could have champions league football makes Lavezzi seem unrealistic to me.

Oh yeah i have no doubt it would be tough to prise any of their players away. They seem incredibly loyal. Im just not sure about Gamiero, but maybe im not doing him justice

I think it's because their squad is mainly all Italians/Argentines so they're close in that way, and most have all gone on the journey from Serie B to the top again together.

I think it's because their squad is mainly all Italians/Argentines so they're close in that way, and most have all gone on the journey from Serie B to the top again together.

The latter part holds particularly true, a very strong sense of unity between the players, club and fans was built because of that. Have a real soft spot for Napoli, hope they can go far in the CL next season

When did he say that? Wenger is hopeful of getting him to stay, which is a good thing IMO.

How can you give up on Chamakh after half a bad season? That's absolutely ridiculous - you said yourself: "with sympaht cuz ihe was brilliant in the first half of teh season" >> A sentence I can barely make sense of but is just completely unfair. He'll be much better next season when he's had time to adjust to the English league.

Premier League - Frustrated Bendtner eyes Barca - Yahoo! Eurosport

agree with ur view on chamkh. i must have lost my words that time.

I didn't mean to bring him in as a starter. I meant bring him in as cover for others, either 3rd or 4th choice, but start him against teams like Blackburn, Stoke, Bolton all the ones that tend to cause us a bit of trouble. Obviously it would be pointless starting him against United and the like because as you said, he would be ineffective in a high line.

But the fact we have conceded more goals from set pieces than open play suggests something needs to change and I suspect we wouldn't concede nearly as much with a player like Samba in there defending. Not to mention he would probably score a few as well.

It's the system rather than the players imho. Even if it was the players - Djourou is always an option alongside TV5 (Who people seem to forget we have - strong, fairly no-nonsense and good in the air) and he's better in the air than Kos (Admittedly still leaves a lot to be desired but he's taller and stronger so can easily work on that during pre-season etc. as well as his concentration levels during games!)

The fact you say "start him against teams like Blackburn, Stoke, Bolton all the ones that tend to cause us a bit of trouble" actually suggests he'd start most games. The majority, or at least a lot, of teams in the PL will look to dominate from set-pieces against a side like Arsenal who will almost always have the ball 65% of the time in a match.

What teams WOULDN'T necessarily do that? Just the big teams? So we buy Koscielny for £10m and just play him in the Champions League and against free-flowing footballing sides?

Obviously something needs to be done, but imho - Samba isn't the answer.

I did say lavezzi was an ideal option :p

M'Oh yeah. Forgot about that ;)

Still - as suggested by others, he'd be quite expensive and not necessarily willing to come!

or... GAMIERO <3.

Wouldn't mind him actually - although at all of 5' 7 he seems like a pretty archetypal poacher to me. One dimensional, weak in the air but a good finisher with plenty of pace. Sounds familiar somehow.. OH that's right - Theo Walcott.

Premier League - Frustrated Bendtner eyes Barca - Yahoo! Eurosport

agree with ur view on chamkh. i must have lost my words that time.

Meh. News outlets will make a big deal out of loads of stuff.

Yes - he and AW have both admitted they need to talk about his future. No - He's not going to Barcelona ffs. Every player (or most) say "I'd love to play with Messi and co."

He may well leave for FT football but I think AW wants to keep him. I actually rate him, although he needs to stop being so arrogant and be grateful that Wenger is TRYING to find a place for him in the team. He says "I want First XI football" and then when Wenger tries to appease him by playing him at RW, he moans about being played out of position. He has to accept that RvP is significantly better than him (and better than a lot of PL strikers bar only a select few)

He's Back !!!! :D

[video=youtube;-IRm5-y6Tcs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IRm5-y6Tcs&feature=related[/video]

Arsène Wenger: "I expect Pat Rice will continue for one more year. He has told me. I am happy he will go on." (via Young Guns on twitter)

Read in other forum,

Nasri turned down new contract with 80K/week (4,7M eur/year), he wants to up it to 90k

Any truth in this?

Read in other forum,

Nasri turned down new contract with 80K/week (4,7M eur/year), he wants to up it to 90k

Any truth in this?

I read somewhere that he wants pay parity with Fabregas let alone 90k/week. Personally I think he will sign a new deal. I truly hope Wenger doesn't repeat a Flamini-ish situation.