The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Kroenke there to watch the game. Can't remember last game he attended.

He was really tired after Besiktas game. Still far from 100%
I just think he has droped down the order a bit. But your right does not look fit, but should not be tired this early in the season. Hope he plays well for England.

I just think he has droped down the order a bit. But your right does not look fit, but should not be tired this early in the season. Hope he plays well for England.

Played couple competive games more than others and when we have this much quality in his position no reason to overplay.

Has our defending always been this chaotic and I've just never noticed it before or what?

Awful from Wenger letting Koscielny continue playing, cost us a goal

More than the defence, its the attack that I'm worried about......no fluidity, tempo, penetration and FFS what is Ozil doing out wide again. Why splash 42.5M on a world-class no. 10 and then play him out wide?!

It's the same wih the German national team though. For some reason Low's stopped playing 4-2-3-1 and Ozil gets forced to the wing.

It's the same wih the German national team though. For some reason Low's stopped playing 4-2-3-1 and Ozil gets forced to the wing.

Eh? Germany still play a 4-2-3-1ish shape last time I checked. And ****, even if they didn't they just won the World Cup, so I wouldn't criticise too much. The main reason why he's been pushed to the wing is because he simply isn't as good as Kroos.

Simple fact is, Oezil is a much better player on the break than he is in a possession-oriented team. That's not to say he's BAD in a possession team - he's still one of the best in the world - but when he's floating around finding spaces and then given the ball quickly as the team transitions he's at his very best. That's why his role has become more and more marginalised and unimportant for Germany as they turned from a counterattacking team to a possession one, and it's why he's yet to find his best form for Arsenal.

I'd call it 4-5-1. Maybe it's my crappy memory but I don't recall them playing with a central attacking midfielder. But then again maybe they did, and like you said if the didn't they won the World Cup so their formation obviously works for them.

TBH I think first half of last year, our best performances were as counter-attacking team. Sanchez, Walcott, Ox, Campbell, Ramsey, Debuchy bombing forward - all great players for counter.
Other problem I see is pressing, most teams play with very high pressing, our is almost non-existent.
Leicester killing us right now, we could've been 3-1 down easily.

Last edited:
I'd call it 4-5-1. Maybe it's my crappy memory but I don't recall them playing with a central attacking midfielder. But then again maybe they did, and like you said if the didn't they won the World Cup so their formation obviously works for them.

They did play 4-2-3-1, but I'll agree that the line between that and a 4-3-3 are usually quite blurred and this time were blurred even more since Kroos occasionally played quite deep. Even so, the real reason why Oezil didn't play often was because he wasn't good enough really.

Back