The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
The injuries at the back are costing us. After chambers's red, we ended the game with only one senior defender. We aint doing f all until these problems are sorted. We need a backup centre back.

The injuries at the back are costing us. After chambers's red, we ended the game with only one senior defender. We aint doing f all until these problems are sorted. We need a backup centre back. Before the 2006 UCL final, we went 10 consecutive games without conceding. Real Madrid, Juve and Vilarreal were unable to score over 2 legs against us. From last year, this Arsenal team was being rebuilt. Remember that we have stayed at the top in the last 10 years on a 5 million net spend. I'm very disappointed today but there is no need for a knee jerk reaction.

Will by draxler and Cavani in the summer and sell a CB. Then all will be forgiven :)
Draxler wouldn't even make it in the team. Front men are the last position we need players. We need a holding midfielder and backup striker. Unfortunately, there are not alot of quality centre backs on the transfer market realistically.

Draxler wouldn't even make it in the team. Front men are the last position we need players. We need a holding midfielder and backup striker. Unfortunately, there are not alot of quality centre backs on the transfer market realistically.
Was just using Wenger transfer logic. Plenty CBs out there that would be good for prem.

...I'm very disappointed today but there is no need for a knee jerk reaction.
It no knee jerk reaction. It Wenger's tactical inability, failure to buy players in crucial positions and failure in transfer market generally, stupid team selection/no rotation, injury problems, stubborness and bunch of other stuff that repeats year after year. I'm actually afraid we're gonna lose Alexis, Ozil and maybe other players if we fail to qualify to CL. The worst thing is that fans are frustrated because team didn't went that extra mile, and the ticket price is highest in the world. Aren't you frustrated that Wenger never learns?

It no knee jerk reaction. It Wenger's tactical inability, failure to buy players in crucial positions and failure in transfer market generally, stupid team selection/no rotation, injury problems, stubborness and bunch of other stuff that repeats year after year. I'm actually afraid we're gonna lose Alexis, Ozil and maybe other players if we fail to qualify to CL. The worst thing is that fans are frustrated because team didn't went that extra mile, and the ticket price is highest in the world. Aren't you frustrated that Wenger never learns?
I cant believe any Arsenal fan can say knee jerk? Its like ground hog day every year!

Yeah, damola it's hardly a knee jerk reaction. Have you been watching Arsenal this season? It's not like Stoke is our first loss and people are calling for Wenger's head. No, the team have been underperforming all season, even when they got a win. Sure, some of the blame can be placed on them. They should WANT to play well for the fans. But at the same time, Wenger doesn't know what he's doing anymore. That's clear to see.

All of that is a matter of personal opinion. Remember that United could only get Rojo for 20 million quid, Lovren 20 million and the best Barcelona could do is Vermaelen for 15 million (hasn't even kicked a ball). What quality defender is going to join Arsenal if these teams can't even get quality in their starting lineups. Mourinho has put out his best team like every week. We have 11 injuries and our hands are tied in terms of team selection. I don't see how top 4 on a 5 million net spend in 10 years is underachievement? This season we have definately underachieved so far. Only 1/3rd of the season have gone and the West Hams, Swanseas and Southampton will fall down the table. 11 players out at once have not helped I just want an improvement to last season.

All of that is a matter of personal opinion. Remember that United could only get Rojo for 20 million quid, Lovren 20 million and the best Barcelona could do is Vermaelen for 15 million (hasn't even kicked a ball). What quality defender is going to join Arsenal if these teams can't even get quality in their starting lineups. Mourinho has put out his best team like every week. We have 11 injuries and our hands are tied in terms of team selection. I don't see how top 4 on a 5 million net spend in 10 years is underachievement? This season we have definately underachieved so far. Only 1/3rd of the season have gone and the West Hams, Swanseas and Southampton will fall down the table. 11 players out at once have not helped I just want an improvement to last season.
Rojo was onl 14m and a bargain at this rate! Players out there no excuses!

Rojo was onl 14m and a bargain at this rate! Players out there no excuses!
Who would have realistically been 3rd or 4th choice? Nastasic snubbed us because he still would have been a 3rd or 4th choice is he moved and Manilas snubbed us bexause he could start at a champions league team. When top teams can only get 'very good' defenders in our starting lineup, then what chance do we have at a backup. Would Rojo have played behind Mertesacker, Koscielny and maybe even Chambers or join United and start?

Who would have realistically been 3rd or 4th choice? Nastasic snubbed us because he still would have been a 3rd or 4th choice is he moved and Manilas snubbed us bexause he could start at a champions league team. When top teams can only get 'very good' defenders in our starting lineup, then what chance do we have at a backup. Would Rojo have played behind Mertesacker, Koscielny and maybe even Chambers or join United and start?
To say you could not get a CB to improve your squad is laughable tbh. Wenger could of got in a good player or 2 at the back.

They've been playing monreal at cb this season, i'm fairly sure there is a bunch of cb's that would be an improvement on him and chambers experience wise.

They've been playing monreal at cb this season, i'm fairly sure there is a bunch of cb's that would be an improvement on him and chambers experience wise.
Monreal has done well there tbh and so has Chambers. Even Chelsea have 1 less senior defenders than us. They have Nathan Ake out while we have 11 injured. That's the difference. All of the defenders that would have been better than Chambers experience wise, have gone to other top teams. Name 1 defender that realistically would have joined as a third choice?

Monreal has done well there tbh and so has Chambers. Even Chelsea have 1 less senior defenders than us. They have Nathan Ake out while we have 11 injured. That's the difference. All of the defenders that would have been better than Chambers experience wise, have gone to other top teams. Name 1 defender that realistically would have joined as a third choice?

Why does it have to be a 3rd choice? why not someone to come in and challenge per or the injured fella, competition and all that.

Why does it have to be a 3rd choice? why not someone to come in and challenge per or the injured fella, competition and all that.
Centre backs aren't like other positions on the pitch. Koscielny and Mertesacker have good cohesion and kept 16 clean sheets last season with good injury records. Part of our defensive problems this season are changing the back 4 too often. It would be very difficult to find defenders good enough to challenge them anyway. That would make a Vermaelen 2.0 situation where a top quality defender would league due to a lack of game time. Rojo, Lovren and Vermaelen are not good enough to force any of our first team defenders out of the side. The only top quality defender that moved was Benatia.

Vlaar,Benatia,Vertonghen,Rojo,Godin,Janmat,Bernat,Manquillo,Moreno,Shawcross,Lovren,Williams,Dier,Otamendi,Scharr,Garay Were all CBs or Defencive options that were sold or available in the Summer that I can quickly think of that Arsenal could of gone for.

Last edited:
Per has been **** this season so far, i'd be very shocked if wenger isn't going to bring in a cb in summer or even jan.

James collins could be thrid choice and do a ******* job for arsenal.

Back