The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Vlaar,Benatia,Vertonghen,Rojo,Godin,Janmat,Bernat,Manquillo,Moreno,Shawcross,Lovren,Williams,Dier,Otamendi,Scharr,Garay Were all CBs that were sold or available in the Summer that I can quickly think of that Arsenal could of gone for.
Benatia couldn't have realistically been signed due to the reasons specified above and the fact that he had the chance to start at Bayern. Gary is starting at a UCL team, which we couldn't offer. starting and a champions league team and would have been unrealistic. Vertonghen is a Spurs player. Rojo wouldn't have for reasons specified above and the fact that he starts at United. Godin is starting at last years UCL finalists. Manquillo, Bernat, Jaanmat and Moreno are full backs. Shawcross is just plain cheeky. Lovren was overpriced and starts at a UCL team. Vlaar may not be good enough and there is no proof that Villa would have sold (best defender). Eric Dier is getting first team football at Spurs and it is likely that he may not have progressed. The only defenders that you could clutch at straws with are Otamendi and Schaar. Half of these players may not have been for sale due to little do no evidence. Otamendi was starting at a UCL team, however decided to join a sugar daddy. We could have easily met Peter Lim's wages, however would he really rather be third choice? Fabian Schaar is in the last year of his contract and just plain overpriced. He would be available for free in January. None of those defenders were realistic options but Schaar.

Benatia couldn't have realistically been signed due to the reasons specified above and the fact that he had the chance to start at Bayern. Gary is starting at a UCL team, which we couldn't offer. starting and a champions league team and would have been unrealistic. Vertonghen is a Spurs player. Rojo wouldn't have for reasons specified above and the fact that he starts at United. Godin is starting at last years UCL finalists. Manquillo, Bernat, Jaanmat and Moreno are full backs. Shawcross is just plain cheeky. Lovren was overpriced and starts at a UCL team. Vlaar may not be good enough and there is no proof that Villa would have sold (best defender). Eric Dier is getting first team football at Spurs and it is likely that he may not have progressed. The only defenders that you could clutch at straws with are Otamendi and Schaar. Half of these players may not have been for sale due to little do no evidence. Otamendi was starting at a UCL team, however decided to join a sugar daddy. We could have easily met Peter Lim's wages, however would he really rather be third choice? Fabian Schaar is in the last year of his contract and just plain overpriced. He would be available for free in January. None of those defenders were realistic options but Schaar.
You had CL and they were defenders available in all positions add to that you had money to spend. Stop making excuses there are non!

Non available apparently :O
Arsene Wenger has pretty much confirmed that were interested in Mings as a backup. Arsene Wenger expressed a desire to sign one in the summer, the money was there and he only signed Welbeck by the end of deadline day. That, the over inflations of centre backs and lack of quality backs up what I said pretty much.

Arsene Wenger has pretty much confirmed that were interested in Mings as a backup. Arsene Wenger expressed a desire to sign one in the summer, the money was there and he only signed Welbeck by the end of deadline day. That, the over inflations of centre backs and lack of quality backs up what I said pretty much.
Why mention quality if you only wanted a 3rd choice? Another poor excuse!

Why mention quality if you only wanted a 3rd choice? Another poor excuse!
Other than City, no other top team in Europe has more than 3 CD. The full backs usually cover in case of disaster (11 players injured). Mertesacker, Koscielny and Chamber are our centre backs. The number of injuries we have are abnormal, not defensive cover.

Mangala,Ried,Mathieu,Chiriches,Papadopalous just to name a few more that moved in the Summer or were available.

Other than City, no other top team in Europe has more than 3 CD. The full backs usually cover in case of disaster (11 players injured). Mertesacker, Koscielny and Chamber are our centre backs. The number of injuries we have are abnormal, not defensive cover.
That's what your academy is for. Please don't tell me about injuries being a Utd fan :P

At the end of the day you sold Vermalen leaving you short in the CB role, leaving you with and injured Kos and an aging Merts you should have signed 1 slightly more experienced CB and had Chambers as your 4th choice.

Everybody's talking CB's, but what about RB? Serge Aurier is Arsenal fan, he was available during summer, according to reports he'd be cheaper than Debuchy and he's good and much younger, is able to cover at CB, yet we went for Debuchy. Don't get me wrong, I like Debuchy, but Aurier seems like a better option to me.
Someone might say it's because of Jenkinsons' development, but he went on loan.

Per isn't only aging, everytime i've watched him this season he's rubbish and if you believe the rumours wenger wanted sokratis, manolas or smalling.

I think Alderweireld would've been the perfect guy for you guys.
Solid CB and used to play RB for his national team. Altough not sure if he'd be interested since, he was 3rd choice aswell in Madrid.

Everybody's talking CB's, but what about RB? Serge Aurier is Arsenal fan, he was available during summer, according to reports he'd be cheaper than Debuchy and he's good and much younger, is able to cover at CB, yet we went for Debuchy. Don't get me wrong, I like Debuchy, but Aurier seems like a better option to me.
Someone might say it's because of Jenkinsons' development, but he went on loan.
Yes he was available mate, could of loaned him like PSG have done while Jenkinson went out on loan. Leaving you with Debuchy and Aurier as RBs instead of Chambers playing there all the time.

To add some CB's - Doria, Schär, Caulker, Koulibaly (Napoli), Tomkins, Knoche, Astori, Mustafi, Alex (Milan). Don't tell me they were all unrealistic or wanted 1st team football.

If you haven't got decent youth cb's to cover then you need a 4th cb imo.

whoever believes Arsenal could not have got a CB is being naïve any player is available for the right price

edit - and personally think its been the same story for a while lack of even a good DM nevermind a world class one is what is hurting this team big time IMO

whoever believes Arsenal could not have got a CB is being naïve any player is available for the right price

edit - and personally think its been the same story for a while lack of even a good DM nevermind a world class one is what is hurting this team big time IMO
I was speaking to lads at footy today. And they all were saying Arsene could do no more the previous window and no good CBs or DMs were out there. And he will lead them to a title soon LOLZ!

Last edited:
Back