The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
I think Arteta has been ok for you guys. But has been poor this season! I don't think its just CB or DM you need as I don't rate your FBs or GK tbh and your CM cover is wafer thin.

I think Arteta has been ok for you guys. But has been poor this season! I don't think its just CB or DM you need as I don't rate your FBs or GK tbh and your CM cover is wafer thin.
Arteta has barely played this season. Probably 3 games in the last few months due to injury. Szczesny shared a golden glove last season and our full backs have been great. Debuchy looked great before injury and is a definite upgrade on Sagna. Gibbs is a solid defensive left back and Monreal has been good this season considering his struggles adapting to he premier league. To say our CM cover in wafted thin is ridiculous. Have you been hiding under a rock or something? We have the best strength in depth in that position in the league! Wilshere, Ramsey, Arteta, Rosicky, Flamini, Cazorla, Diaby and Ozil can all feature there. Our squad is easily the largest in that department. It's the lack of a DM, forcing issues. Do you not rate Gibbs? He is the best left back we've had since Cole and he is even capable of reaching that level is he stays fit. He is one of the most defensively sound full backs in the league.

I think Arteta works beacause of Kos. He's very aggresive in tackling and pressing, very proactive, which hides the lack of DM. He's the one who deserves credit. Arteta is not a true DM. He's a good player and I respect him, because he plays out of position and is very thin and old yet he's our best DM, but he shouldn't be anywhere near first 11. Just compare him to Matic.
Arteta is one of the most dribbled past players in the league (legs have gone), however he has completed one of the highest number of tackles per game on average. Arteta is also capable of dictating the tempo of a game as well as linking defence and attack. In 2013, Arteta had the highest pass completion rate in Europe and set a league high of over 2,300. He also offers leadership and organises as well despite not being a physical beast.

Arteta has barely played this season. Probably 3 games in the last few months due to injury. Szczesny shared a golden glove last season and our full backs have been great. Debuchy looked great before injury and is a definite upgrade on Sagna. Gibbs is a solid defensive left back and Monreal has been good this season considering his struggles adapting to he premier league. To say our CM cover in wafted thin is ridiculous. Have you been hiding under a rock or something? We have the best strength in depth in that position in the league! Wilshere, Ramsey, Arteta, Rosicky, Flamini, Cazorla, Diaby and Ozil can all feature there. Our squad is easily the largest in that department. It's the lack of a DM, forcing issues. Do you not rate Gibbs? He is the best left back we've had since Cole and he is even capable of reaching that level is he stays fit. He is one of the most defensively sound full backs in the league.
What? Rosicky,Ozil,Wilshere are not even proper CMs Diaby will never be a good player due to injury and Flamini and Arteta have had it or not far off. I rate Gibbs and Debuchy but I would not say there good enough to win you a title and Monreal just does not look like he is gonna be good enough imo, solid back up I suppose. Szcezney I don't rate at all sorry far to inconsistent and has to many lapses throughout the season.

I've seen Gibbs in pretty much every game last season and he's a rock solid full back. Debuchy is France's main right back. Easily a Sagna upgrade. Wilshere has pretty much played his whole Arsenal career at CM and Rosicky has played games at CM as well as having the tackling ability for it. Arteta is a class above Flamini and if you watch us with Arteta, you would be surprised with how much of a better team we are. Szczesny has cost us no points last season and cost us only 1 goal out of the 50+ games I can remember. You don't win a golden glove by chance. He's much improved in terms of consistency. Debuchy surely has to go up there as one of the leagues best full backs? Only I'd say that Zabaleta is better. Ivanovic isn't the greatest because he doesn't offer anything going forward Imo.

I've seen Gibbs in pretty much every game last season and he's a rock solid full back. Debuchy is France's main right back. Easily a Sagna upgrade. Wilshere has pretty much played his whole Arsenal career at CM and Rosicky has played games at CM as well as having the tackling ability for it. Arteta is a class above Flamini and if you watch us with Arteta, you would be surprised with how much of a better team we are. Szczesny has cost us no points last season and cost us only 1 goal out of the 50+ games I can remember. You don't win a golden glove by chance. He's much improved in terms of consistency. Debuchy surely has to go up there as one of the leagues best full backs? Only I'd say that Zabaleta is better. Ivanovic isn't the greatest because he doesn't offer anything going forward Imo.
I don't see what the struggle is then apart from Wengers inept transfer business, cos your squad sounds brilliant.

I don't see what the struggle is then apart from Wengers inept transfer business, cos your squad sounds brilliant.
The squad genuinely is great. All we're lacking is a holding midfielder and the end to our injury problems. Our transfer business in the summer was far from inept if you look at the number that we brought in. I admit that we could have done better when it came to a defensive midfielder. One question I have is do you think we had underachieved from 2006 to 2013 when we had very limited resources?

Gibbs is being caught out of position too often and sadly is too injury prone, Rosicky? You must be joking, old and totally out of pace, thanks to little to no rotation he doesn't have enought minutes. When it comes to RB's, yeah, Debuchy is good, but Zabaleta, Ivanovic, Coleman are all better, with Clyne, Janmaat and Jenko close or same level.
But ok, let's leave transfers, what do you think about AW's tactical ability, his substitutions and his ability to change the game thru subs and/or team talk? Because everytime I look at tactical areas, I see one manager there, and it's usually not Wenger, it's opposition manager. Even when we're losing, he's just sitting there waiting for miracle to happen.

The squad genuinely is great. All we're lacking is a holding midfielder and the end to our injury problems. Our transfer business in the summer was far from inept if you look at the number that we brought in. I admit that we could have done better when it came to a defensive midfielder. One question I have is do you think we had underachieved from 2006 to 2013 when we had very limited resources?
Yes! Utd have hardly splashed the cash tbh if you take out this Summer. RVP is our biggest transfer in a long time. If its not your squad it must be your manger. Am shocked you think your squad is great!

Gibbs is being caught out of position too often and sadly is too injury prone, Rosicky? You must be joking, old and totally out of pace, thanks to little to no rotation he doesn't have enought minutes. When it comes to RB's, yeah, Debuchy is good, but Zabaleta, Ivanovic, Coleman are all better, with Clyne, Janmaat and Jenko close or same level.
But ok, let's leave transfers, what do you think about AW's tactical ability, his substitutions and his ability to change the game thru subs and/or team talk? Because everytime I look at tactical areas, I see one manager there, and it's usually not Wenger, it's opposition manager. Even when we're losing, he's just sitting there waiting for miracle to happen.
Do you think your squad is great as Damola3 seems to think. Good post by the way!

Do you think your squad is great as Damola3 seems to think. Good post by the way!
Carl Jenkinson is no where near Debuchy's level. He's a proven international and champions league right back. Coleman can't be compared after 1 good year at top level. Jaanmat has barely had half a season in a decent league. I would agree Clyne is of similar quality. When Gibbs is playing, we almost never concede down our left side. There are plenty of stats proving that. Rosicky is one of the top 5 fastest players in the squad and you would know that if you've seen him play. Arsene Wenger's substitutions are generally very good considering the injury list. He's had a calm touch line demeanour for years. If he sits down for a miracle to happen then half the leagues managers do. Mourinho is another example.

Carl Jenkinson is no where near Debuchy's level. He's a proven international and champions league right back. Coleman can't be compared after 1 good year at top level. Jaanmat has barely had half a season in a decent league. I would agree Clyne is of similar quality. When Gibbs is playing, we almost never concede down our left side. There are plenty of stats proving that. Rosicky is one of the top 5 fastest players in the squad and you would know that if you've seen him play. Arsene Wenger's substitutions are generally very good considering the injury list. He's had a calm touch line demeanour for years. If he sits down for a miracle to happen then half the leagues managers do. Mourinho is another example.
Hey what I never mentioned Clyne or anyone else?

No, I don't. I think the squad has potential, we have some world class players, some potential world class players and other good consistent players. But we lack cover in some positions and are really weak in others. Also some players have big potential but need better guidance and coaching and run of games without injuries so they can hit form.
Overall, the most frustrating thing is we have potential, like I said, but we fail year after year to fulfill it for various reasons stated ITT.
BTW it's good to see discussion here, this thread was pretty much dead lately.

No, I don't. I think the squad has potential, we have some world class players, some potential world class players and other good consistent players. But we lack cover in some positions and are really weak in others. Also some players have big potential but need better guidance and coaching and run of games without injuries so they can hit form.
Overall, the most frustrating thing is we have potential, like I said, but we fail year after year to fulfill it for various reasons stated ITT.
BTW it's good to see discussion here, this thread was pretty much dead lately.
I agree mate you have some good players and a sprinkle of Worldies. But I think the squad is thin in quality if your gonna mount a real title push. And I think Wenger is holding you back now. Cant beat a good discussion :)

Coleman has hardly had only 1 good year, Jenkinson was good last season and wasn't playing just because one stubborn person, he's great this year for West Ham. Gibbs is out of position too often and no stat you show me is gonna make me think otherwise, I see it every game. It's his biggest flow, otherwise he's great and I like him. Rosicky top 5 fastest players in the squad? You are clearly joking, Welbz, Alexis, Theo, Ox, Gibbs, Bellerin, Campbell, Debuchy... Also I said he's out of pace, means he is not fit, looks tired, misplaces passes, not he's slow, but he is.

Merts was truly shocking, not been same since WC like RVP. Both on the decline imo.
I don't see how a player can decline like that in a couple f weeks like that. He's just out of form. Looking at our squad, Alexis, Ozil, Cazorla and Koscielny are definate world class. I might even add Walcott to that list if you look at his goal assist return before injury. It was even better than Marco Reus' s. Ramsey and Wilshere are close to world class without question is they both avoid injuries. Gibbs can also reach Ashley Cole's level. If Gibbs wasn't injury prone then I think that he would be one of the best in the world. Debuchy, Podolski, Mertesacker, Arteta and Giroud are very good international players. Oxlade-Chamberlain is a no brainer for world class soon. Sanogo is a wildcard and I'm still not sure about Welbeck. Monreal is just a good backup. Campbell is again a bit of a wildcard. Gnabry will be wc some day imo. Flamini is just average and Chambers is a potential world class.

Jenkinson didn't play much last season because Bacary Sagna is a better player and stayed fit. You can't complain about that. A fit Bacary Sagna or Carl Jenkinson? No brainer really. Tomas Rosicky has even quoted that he is top 5 in the Arsenal speed tests. Watch some highlights of him last season and tell me if he's slow.

Back