The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
What's stupid is Arsenal losing 3-1 at home to an average Monaco side. That's why they went out, despite winning and being by miles the better team yesterday.

You didn't and rightly paid price for it.

Without a doubt we deserved it.

My point was that away goals most of the times give teams a false sense of security, and usually they just play out the 2nd. leg defending that result. A few examples that come to my mind right now are 2012 Chelsea- Barcelona semi-final double, Arsenal - Bayern double in 2013 if I remember correctly, and that famous Arsenal - Milan double.

Instead of promoting offensive play, it does the opposite. I know this is not the case for all games or teams, but you have to admit that in the majority of cases, this is the scenario.

Without a doubt we deserved it.

My point was that away goals most of the times give teams a false sense of security, and usually they just play out the 2nd. leg defending that result. A few examples that come to my mind right now are 2012 Chelsea- Barcelona semi-final double, Arsenal - Bayern double in 2013 if I remember correctly, and that famous Arsenal - Milan double.

Instead of promoting offensive play, it does the opposite. I know this is not the case for all games or teams, but you have to admit that in the majority of cases, this is the scenario.

No, if they remove the away goal rule then teams will just play 10 men behind the ball away from the goal and won't try to score at all. At least with this rule teams know losing 1-0 is worse than losing 2-1 away from home and as a football fan that's what I want. Teams going for goals.

If anything it was a common belief that team playing second leg at home has bigger advantage and CL games are designed in that way. Chelsea just played defensive game in Paris and somehow nicked a goal, Paris played attacking game and even with man down they went for goals and rightly qualified.

If the away goals gave home team false sense of security then it's their mistake and they will pay the price when away team attack and home team defend all the time. If we don't have away goal rule then all we can see is away team just parking the bus in both legs which would be an awful display.

And in the second leg, if the home team just defends because of the away goal then they deserve it for their efforts in first leg and it's up to away team to make something happen.

Away goals makes the game exciting. Full offense from one side and defensive desperation and nerve wrenching counters from other team.

You're a Chelsea fan, same thing happened to you, if you won on the other hand...

Last year we went through the same way PSG went through this year. In the 2nd. game PSG barely had a shot on goal. They were satisfied, like us this year, to just stay back and defend their advantage.

I will say this one last time because it seems I have to repeat myself to everyone: away goals lead to boring 2nd. games MOST of the times. I know the teams in question earned that advantage, but it doesn't change that fact that caution and defensive work are the keywords of the 2nd. leg.

Hypothetical situation: no away goal rule. Do you think any team at this stage of the CL would go into the 2nd. game and say, lets go to penalties, we have a bigger chance to win that way?

Last year we went through the same way PSG went through this year. In the 2nd. game PSG barely had a shot on goal. They were satisfied, like us this year, to just stay back and defend their advantage.

I will say this one last time because it seems I have to repeat myself to everyone: away goals lead to boring 2nd. games MOST of the times. I know the teams in question earned that advantage, but it doesn't change that fact that caution and defensive work are the keywords of the 2nd. leg.

Hypothetical situation: no away goal rule. Do you think any team at this stage of the CL would go into the 2nd. game and say, lets go to penalties, we have a bigger chance to win that way?

The away goal rule stops teams setting up defensive in the first leg though. If a team lets the away team hammer them at home, then theyve set themselves up for that horrible second leg!

The away goal rule stops teams setting up defensive in the first leg though. If a team lets the away team hammer them at home, then theyve set themselves up for that horrible second leg!

It does. and it doesn't. As they say, 0-0 is the best of the bad results home. The away goal rule should encourage offensive play as you and sunil said before, but it doesn't live up to expectations.

Last edited:
Back