The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Haha yeah well news outlets see a young argentinian forward linked with top 4 club and he's a new Messi instantly.

Wasn't Dybala also touted in papers as new Messi earlier?
Yes lol. Its funny because it will be same 20yrs from now every time a new little Argie star appears :)

Yes lol. Its funny because it will be same 20yrs from now every time a new little Argie star appears :)

But by what I've seen of him he looks like a quite complete striker for his age. Good in air and finishing ability and by the looks of it great dribbler. Hopefully will soon graduate into first team so we can start to actually judge how good he is.

Had a discussion about Wellington Silva today. What are your thoughts?
He finally got Spain passport so he can play for us, but should he get a chance? My opinion is no. I think he represents our old era of buying bargains, some of them worked out, but others flopped and became deadwood. We had problems getting rid of these players and I believe this is exactly what's gonna happen with him if he stays with us.
He's 22, has a half decent season in Almeria (Suso was better there last year and where's he now?), is foreign and never played in England. His position is on right wing, which is occupied by Ox, Theo, Welbz, Gnabry and bunch of other guys can play there. He would either sit on bench and waste a place in 25-man squad or play and limit chances of other players.
Get rid of him, he may get us some money and get himself more playing time.

Had a discussion about Wellington Silva today. What are your thoughts?
He finally got Spain passport so he can play for us, but should he get a chance? My opinion is no. I think he represents our old era of buying bargains, some of them worked out, but others flopped and became deadwood. We had problems getting rid of these players and I believe this is exactly what's gonna happen with him if he stays with us.
He's 22, has a half decent season in Almeria (Suso was better there last year and where's he now?), is foreign and never played in England. His position is on right wing, which is occupied by Ox, Theo, Welbz, Gnabry and bunch of other guys can play there. He would either sit on bench and waste a place in 25-man squad or play and limit chances of other players.
Get rid of him, he may get us some money and get himself more playing time.

Suso was sold to Milan in winter transfer window as his contract was running out. Wellington would have hard time even getting onto bench like Campbell also. I think both should be sold

Suso was sold to Milan in winter transfer window as his contract was running out. Wellington would have hard time even getting onto bench like Campbell also. I think both should be sold
It was more of a rhetorical question with Suso. I agree with you, but some local folks think he should get a chance.

It was more of a rhetorical question with Suso. I agree with you, but some local folks think he should get a chance.

From what I've learned he's at tops a mid-table player. Better sell and use the funds to get the 2-3 players we really need to challenge next season.

Aston Villa in the Final. Can't wait.

Should be a great game. If their is anything you can count on Sherwood for, it's to pump up his players for a big game like this. Villa will come out swinging

You can mock, but the moment Professor was actually able to start spending big, instead of selling his captains year after year, they're challenging for serious trophies every season and are still in title race in late April.

Funny how that works, huh?

You can mock, but the moment Professor was actually able to start spending big, instead of selling his captains year after year, they're challenging for serious trophies every season and are still in title race in late April.

Funny how that works, huh?

He was able, he chose not too, and kept moaning like a child that Chelsea this, United that, etc. He is some kind of a football romantic, thinking you can win trophies with kids and academy products only. I do agree with you on the fact that with a few players Arsenal is a serious contender next year.

He was able, he chose not too, and kept moaning like a child that Chelsea this, United that, etc. He is some kind of a football romantic, thinking you can win trophies with kids and academy products only. I do agree with you on the fact that with a few players Arsenal is a serious contender next year.

If he was able, but chose not to why would he change his way now?

Also about the moaning you'd do well to actually watch what he says on interviews instead of reading from papers what he said. There's a difference.

If he was able, but chose not to why would he change his way now?

Also about the moaning you'd do well to actually watch what he says on interviews instead of reading from papers what he said. There's a difference.

Because he is not getting any younger, and the clock is ticking. He probably wants to win the title more than anyone else.

Wenger has been accusing Chelsea and other teams of killing football for years. I won't waste my time to start searching for quotes from the last 10 years. I like Wenger a lot, but complaining about why your neighbour is doing better than you, won't do ****. Arsenal is a rich club, he is just a shrewd spender.

Because he is not getting any younger, and the clock is ticking. He probably wants to win the title more than anyone else.

Wenger has been accusing Chelsea and other teams of killing football for years. I won't waste my time to start searching for quotes from the last 10 years. I like Wenger a lot, but complaining about why your neighbour is doing better than you, won't do ****. Arsenal is a rich club, he is just a shrewd spender.

I don't buy it. He's a competitor and wants to win every game. Arsenal now are a wealthy club, but go back even couple of years and it wasn't so. For example we missed out on Mata mainly because we had to sell before buying and Chelsea swooped in.

Reporters come about with suggestive questions to which usually Wenger replies with some facts or his view and this then is turned into a moan or complain. If you are so against complaining you must really hate Mourinho who's way bigger complainer than Wenger? :)

I don't buy it. He's a competitor and wants to win every game. Arsenal now are a wealthy club, but go back even couple of years and it wasn't so. For example we missed out on Mata mainly because we had to sell before buying and Chelsea swooped in.

Reporters come about with suggestive questions to which usually Wenger replies with some facts or his view and this then is turned into a moan or complain. If you are so against complaining you must really hate Mourinho who's way bigger complainer than Wenger? :)

Mourinho's complaints are getting more frequent and sometimes dull, I agree. Arsene's decisions to always go for the bargain buy, rather than the players he needed is the reason he never achieved anything major lately.

04-05 Eboue 1M, Flamini 1M, Almunia 2.5M
05-06 Rosicky 6.8M, Walcott 9.1M, Adebayor 7M, Diaby 2M, Hleb 11.2M, Bendtner 200K
06-07 Eduardo 7.5M, Fabianski 2M, Denilson 3.4M, Song 1M
07-08 Nasri 12.8M, Ramsey 5M, Diarra 4M, Sagna 6M
08-09 Arshavin 15M
09-10 Vermaelen 10M
10-11 Koscielny 10M, Squillaci 4M
11-12 Gervinho 10.6M, AOC 12M, Park 3M, Santos 6.2M, Arteta 10M, Mertesacker 10M

I only see a few better known players at the time of the transfers on this list, other than that, youngsters. You honestly believe that Arsenal had a 20-30 million transfer budget in those years? How many times did the owners/shareholders say he has money but he doesn't spend it?

Last edited:
Mourinho's complaints are getting more frequent and sometimes dull, I agree. Arsene's decisions to always go for the bargain buy, rather than the players he needed is the reason he never achieved anything major lately.

04-05 Eboue 1M, Flamini 1M, Almunia 2.5M
05-06 Rosicky 6.8M, Walcott 9.1M, Adebayor 7M, Diaby 2M, Hleb 11.2M, Bendtner 200K
06-07 Eduardo 7.5M, Fabianski 2M, Denilson 3.4M, Song 1M
07-08 Nasri 12.8M, Ramsey 5M, Diarra 4M, Sagna 6M
08-09 Arshavin 15M
09-10 Vermaelen 10M
10-11 Koscielny 10M, Squillaci 4M
11-12 Gervinho 10.6M, AOC 12M, Park 3M, Santos 6.2M, Arteta 10M, Mertesacker 10M

I only see a few better known players at the time of the transfers on this list, other than that, youngsters. You honestly believe that Arsenal had a 20-30 million transfer budget in those years? How many times did the owners/shareholders say he has money but he doesn't spend it?

No, we didn't even have 20 million to spend on a players after Emirates move. You can look at players who came in, but to get complete picture look at who left and for what.

Also back then I couldn't remember a single time club said Arsene had more money to spend than he actually did. It was for first time said summer we signed Özil or summer before it.

No, we didn't even have 20 million to spend on a players after Emirates move. You can look at players who came in, but to get complete picture look at who left and for what.

Also back then I couldn't remember a single time club said Arsene had more money to spend than he actually did. It was for first time said summer we signed Özil or summer before it.

I won't argue your case, you most likely know more about Arsenal than I do. The things I mentioned were in the media, I did not make it up.

The truth most of the times, is between the lines. If he had the money and didn't use it, he's responsible for the draught. If he didn't, then he should be credited for keeping the team competitive at the highest level.

Back