The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
lr03vvzuiw1moyx8vdn3_normal.jpeg
Pete O'Rourke@SportsPeteO Arsenal defender Nacho Monreal wants to extend his contract at th club despite being linked with Athletic Bilbao. #AFC

It's that time of the year, so here we go: Dream summer for Arsenal from your perspective?

For me personally: Cech, Schneiderlin, Reus, Higuain

Not exactly dream, more of one I hope for and may be realistic

Out: Flamini, Arteta(or almost no playing time), Diaby, Podolski, Campbell, Ryo, Sanogo (loan is more likely), Wellington

Loan: Jenkinson, Gnabry, Akpom, Hayden, ?Chambers? (if he doesn't get enough time, but we may lack cover)

In: Kondogbia, Cheryshev/Ferreira-Carrasco, Benzema/Lacazette/Nabil Fekir

I realize we have so much deadwood already. We cleared almost everyone 2 seasons ago and now it's here again.

Out: Flamini, Arteta(or almost no playing time), Diaby, Podolski, Campbell, Ryo, Sanogo (loan is more likely), Wellington

Loan: Jenkinson, Gnabry, Akpom, Hayden, ?Chambers? (if he doesn't get enough time, but we may lack cover)

I realize we have so much deadwood already. We cleared almost everyone 2 seasons ago and now it's here again.
Be good window for you guys! Most are available apart from Fekir.

Be good window for you guys! Most are available apart from Fekir.
Yeah, I'm not sure about Benzema either, but hey you never know what's gonna happen in Madrid :D But one of them is gonna be available I think. I just don't know what to do with Welbeck, I don't like him on the wing but he just lacks the killer instinct and a bit of physicality, even Walcott can finish better and he used to miss clear chances few years ago. I don't like to ship out players after one year but I don't trust him right now.
What's your opinion on Cheryshev? I saw him a few times and was quite impressed, and statistics back him up too.

Last edited:
kondogbia defensive mid
laporte as young back up for dc
jackson martinez from porto.

and get rid of all artetta and flamini like playrs

kondogbia defensive mid
laporte as young back up for dc
jackson martinez from porto.

and get rid of all artetta and flamini like playrs

Laporte would undoubtedly be a good one but Athletic aren't going to sell for anything other then his release clause which is >30M if I'm not wrong.

I don't think we should buy a CB before both Gabriel and Chambers get a chance to prove themselves. Chambers was great in a few matches he played as a CB, Gabriel was good in some games but made a quite a few mistakes in others, but he's young and did not get a proper run.

I don't think we should buy a CB before both Gabriel and Chambers get a chance to prove themselves. Chambers was great in a few matches he played as a CB, Gabriel was good in some games but made a quite a few mistakes in others, but he's young and did not get a proper run.

Yeah we are quite sorted for CB position.

Half of this 'deadwood' hasn't even been involved in the first team. I can't see Arteta leaving, especially as he is a model professional and club captain. Despite having alot of midfielders, they haven't seemed to affect his game time. Arsene Wenger is a big fan, as he can dictate tempo. Fairly reliable sources, such as former players, The Guardian and The Telegraph seem to be sure that Arsene is out for Cech if available. Schneiderlin and dare I say it, Vidal are more likely that Kondogbia at this moment in time. Looking at FFP and their large investment, I can't see him going unless it's for an astronomical fee. Carrasco and Cheryshev aren't going to improve the squad or bring much to it. Oxlade-Chamberlain can barely get a game in this team and Campbell couldn't even get a look in. Marco Reus is more likely to happen, however I'd like to see whether Arsene is already happy with what he's got. Nabil Fekir would just be talent hoarding for the sake of it. There was a debate on whether Wilshere, Rosicky or even Cazorla would play at one point and I can't see where a young attacking midfielder would fit in. Zelalem is developing nicely and don't forget young Dan Cowley. Upfront, Higuain and Lacazette are the most likely targets. Benzema won't move an inch this summer because after Hernandez's loan spell ends he's their only senior striker. There are claims that we've tabled a €40 million bid for Higuain and this wouldn't suprise me as Napoli could only finish 5th in Serie A and the lack of champions league can convince him to leave. As Henry said, Giroud cannot do all on his own and Higuain brings mobility upfront. Past history has shown that Lyon will always sell for the right price, in their cash strapped situation. He will most likely cost €20-30 million. Transfers from mainland Europe will be much cheaper because we use a real currency instead of the euro, due to the financial crisis. The strength of the pound in relation to the Euro, means that players will be a good deal cheaper. The €40 million Euros used to buy Higuain from Madrid a few years ago was about £37 million quid and now it's £29.73 million quid.

Half of this 'deadwood' hasn't even been involved in the first team. I can't see Arteta leaving, especially as he is a model professional and club captain. Despite having alot of midfielders, they haven't seemed to affect his game time. Arsene Wenger is a big fan, as he can dictate tempo. Fairly reliable sources, such as former players, The Guardian and The Telegraph seem to be sure that Arsene is out for Cech if available. Schneiderlin and dare I say it, Vidal are more likely that Kondogbia at this moment in time. Looking at FFP and their large investment, I can't see him going unless it's for an astronomical fee. Carrasco and Cheryshev aren't going to improve the squad or bring much to it. Oxlade-Chamberlain can barely get a game in this team and Campbell couldn't even get a look in. Marco Reus is more likely to happen, however I'd like to see whether Arsene is already happy with what he's got. Nabil Fekir would just be talent hoarding for the sake of it. There was a debate on whether Wilshere, Rosicky or even Cazorla would play at one point and I can't see where a young attacking midfielder would fit in. Zelalem is developing nicely and don't forget young Dan Cowley. Upfront, Higuain and Lacazette are the most likely targets. Benzema won't move an inch this summer because after Hernandez's loan spell ends he's their only senior striker. There are claims that we've tabled a €40 million bid for Higuain and this wouldn't suprise me as Napoli could only finish 5th in Serie A and the lack of champions league can convince him to leave. As Henry said, Giroud cannot do all on his own and Higuain brings mobility upfront. Past history has shown that Lyon will always sell for the right price, in their cash strapped situation. He will most likely cost €20-30 million. Transfers from mainland Europe will be much cheaper because we use a real currency instead of the euro, due to the financial crisis. The strength of the pound in relation to the Euro, means that players will be a good deal cheaper. The €40 million Euros used to buy Higuain from Madrid a few years ago was about £37 million quid and now it's £29.73 million quid.

I think Arteta can decide himself. If he wants to play more then he will be allowed to leave, but no doubt Wenger would like to keep him around same as with Rosicky.

With recent developments FFP is pretty much under attack as it's against EU Competition laws and we see in few years what the result is there.

Ox is pretty much first choice on right and played pretty much all the time he has been fit. Which hasn't been that much. Sanchez plays pretty much every game on left and then we have players like Theo and Welbz so I really doubt we are in for wide forward unless Theo goes.

Benzema is only target if Real manage to sign a new forward and even then unlikely as by all accounts he is a favourite of both Perez and Zidane.

I think Arteta can decide himself. If he wants to play more then he will be allowed to leave, but no doubt Wenger would like to keep him around same as with Rosicky.

With recent developments FFP is pretty much under attack as it's against EU Competition laws and we see in few years what the result is there.

Ox is pretty much first choice on right and played pretty much all the time he has been fit. Which hasn't been that much. Sanchez plays pretty much every game on left and then we have players like Theo and Welbz so I really doubt we are in for wide forward unless Theo goes.

Benzema is only target if Real manage to sign a new forward and even then unlikely as by all accounts he is a favourite of both Perez and Zidane.

If it were up to me, I'd like for both Rosicky and Arteta to stay. I love both of them even though both are likely to see less game time next season. As for Benzema, unless Madrid get Aguero, which ain't gonna happen, they won't let Benz go I'm thinking. Higuain and Lacazette (or even someone like Vietto) might be more likely.

Half of this 'deadwood'...
Man you should add some paragraphs.

Re deadwood - yes, but they're still Arsenal players, and I can't see future for them in the team.

Re Arteta - if he's ok with sitting on the bench or not being in the match squad at all, it's fine with me, but I don't want him to start 15 matches a season.

Re DM - I don't think Schneiderlin and Vidal are pure DM's, they cover much more space which is something we don't need. My ideal midfield 2 would be defensive player, guy who can play long passes but won't join attacks and b2b/running type midfielder next to him(Ramsey for this role). Indeed, Kondogbia isn't guy who can play long passes, there's one player who might be suited to this role and it's Gonalons, I don't know if he's available, but if he is, go for him.

Left wing - I believe we need cover for Alexis at left wing, as I don't trust Welbz or Theo there and Ox should stay on right wing. Yes, Reus would be great, but if he's available, there will be all the top clubs going for him and I doubt he's gonna choose us. Those two guys are good, should be relatively cheap and might not complain if they sit on the bench.

Fekir - I see him more as a striker, not sure if he can play as a striker in PL, that's why I put him on the last place.

Striker - in the next post, I said Benzema is probably not gonna happen but you never know, it's Madrid. Not sure why, but I don't rate Higuain that much, he probably developed since he left Madrid but to be honest I don't think I've seen him play since then, maybe in some random Europa League match.

Last thing, the youngsters - from what I've read, both Zelalem and Crowley still have a lot of work to do, Crowley is currently playing on left wing and Zelalem as a 10, but he's played in central midfield before and is currently far from first team, he got better as the season progressed, but still has major flaws and isn't as influential as he should be in u21 matches. Probably won't go on loan this season because he isn't ready physically. Again, it's from what I've read, so if you've heard something different, post a link.

benitez is coach of real and the rumour goes he want's to place ronaldo as a striker and bale on left.
and wouldn't be space left for benz.
so who knows. you never know with real.
the've sold ozil so why not benz

benitez is coach of real and the rumour goes he want's to place ronaldo as a striker and bale on left.
and wouldn't be space left for benz.
so who knows. you never know with real.
the've sold ozil so why not benz

Ozil was shown the door at real Madrid that's why he was sold. Unless benzema is shown the door as well, I don't see him leaving.

Also didn't Reus recently sign a new contract and state he didn't want to go to any premier league clubs?

Ozil was shown the door at real Madrid that's why he was sold. Unless benzema is shown the door as well, I don't see him leaving.

Also didn't Reus recently sign a new contract and state he didn't want to go to any premier league clubs?

Real make a lot of stupid decisions just because they are Real. Benzema might be sold, but I seriously doubt it. Özil wasn't a favourite of Perez like Benzema is.

Yeah he signed a new contract to take out the RC which was in his last one, but haven't heard anything about not wanting to play in Prem. His idol is Rosicky and once he mentioned wanting to play for Arsenal, but things might change and I doubt he'd come to sit on bench behind Sanchez unless we play Sanchez on the right. Still he is one of my favourite non-Arsenal players and would love to see him play for Arsenal.

Real make a lot of stupid decisions just because they are Real. Benzema might be sold, but I seriously doubt it. Özil wasn't a favourite of Perez like Benzema is.

Yeah he signed a new contract to take out the RC which was in his last one, but haven't heard anything about not wanting to play in Prem. His idol is Rosicky and once he mentioned wanting to play for Arsenal, but things might change and I doubt he'd come to sit on bench behind Sanchez unless we play Sanchez on the right. Still he is one of my favourite non-Arsenal players and would love to see him play for Arsenal.

Özil in fact submitted a transfer request to Real Madrid, as confirmed by Florentino Perez, who got a hammering by the Spanish press and his own players for allowing Özil to leave. Ancelotti said it was a mistake late last year and Cristiano Ronaldo was even most unhappy about his sale. Reus and Alexis can play on the left or right. Reus is much stronger on his left than Alexis.

Back