The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
The community shield is a major trophy. That's a fact. Go and look at any club's trophy lost. It is in the truest sense, a super cup. The match was competitive, which was shown the the lineups and game intensity. After beating City 3-0 last season, we beat them away and nearly beat them in the league before Demechelis equalised with a late header at home. I was the first to say that this doesn't mean that we will win the league, however this and last season showed a much better attitude to big games. On current squads, we will at least challenge.

Just for the record, the community shield isn't a major trophy...its more of a minor trophy...

2nd, that same year we beat city 3-2 in the community shield, we got mauled 6-1 later on that season so results now have NO say on prior season results...

That being said, well played arsenal for grinding out a result...wenger basically went into the match saying this to himself "if you can't beat em, join em"

The community shield is a major trophy.

Games can be highly competitive and revealing without the competition itself mattering. The desire to win can come from other sources, like a rivalry as was the case here.

We're living in a world where the 2 biggest UK and EU cups are considered to be annoyances rather than things worth fighting for. In that world, the community shield is little more than a friendly in stature. If anyone listed it as part of their treble winning season, they'd be laughed out of the country.

Don't think there is a lot to choose between the 4 tbh.

I don't think there's a lot to chose between the 4 behind Chelsea either. ;).

Any of them could finish in the Champions League slot. Any of them could just as easily miss out.

Such will be the way going forward. One of the 5 will miss out.

Luckily for you, I can see the team down the road having as big a clusterfuck as last season so you'll doubtless get 4th by default.

Again. ;)

Last edited:
I don't see Chelsea doing much this season, they are absolutely ****** if some midfield injuries happen and the stroke of luck of everyone always being healthy has run far too long. Also Mouinho 3rd season syndrome doesn't help.

Last edited:
Don't think there is a lot to choose between the 4 tbh.
United are surely better than City. City have poor squad depth and balance in their squad. Sterling and Navas are their only wide players. They then had a surplus of strikers who didn't play because 2 upfront is becoming out of fashion. Yaya Toure's best days are over and their central midfielders aren't good enough. They have lost James Milner who's arguably their most reliable midfielder. Fernando and Fernandinho aren't quite good enough to start at this level. United will definately tip City imo. Liverpool have squad depth, however they haven't attracted any players who would improve the squad.
Liverpool had also lost their best player.

I don't think there's a lot to chose between the 4 behind Chelsea either. ;).

Any of them could finish in the Champions League slot. Any of them could just as easily miss out.

Such will be the way going forward. One of the 5 will miss out.

Luckily for you, I can see the team down the road having as big a clusterfuck as last season so you'll doubtless get 4th by default.

Again. ;)
Don't think Chelsea are all that tbh. Costa out already. Heavily dependant on Hazard and not strengthened.

Don't think Chelsea are all that tbh. Costa out already. Heavily dependant on Hazard and not strengthened.

I didn't think they were 'all that' last year. For Mourinho to say it was his best ever side there was a complete insult to his first title winners for one IMHO.

But they are still a cut above everything else sadly for me.

Liverpool done some very good transfer moves, but I just can't consider them as a serious side for as long as they have have Simon Flapalot in the goal.

Otherwise they don't look so bad. Gerrard leaving will only help them, finally Lucas will be a guaranteed starter, great ******* player who kept being sidelined by Rodgers for no comprehensible reason. Bentkekekeke will probably surprise people, especially with how much online hate he took initially. Clyne is a solid lad, and Firmino I didn't see play at all, but he was great in my FM save so you could say i'm sort of an expert.

Games can be highly competitive and revealing without the competition itself mattering. The desire to win can come from other sources, like a rivalry as was the case here.

We're living in a world where the 2 biggest UK and EU cups are considered to be annoyances rather than things worth fighting for. In that world, the community shield is little more than a friendly in stature. If anyone listed it as part of their treble winning season, they'd be laughed out of the country.
The competition itself doesn't matter that much however it matters so much because we because beat Jose Mourinho's Chelsea in a competitive game. If it was in a friendly then it wouldn't matter as much. The community shield doesn't really matter, however it's a competitive match.

Personally I would wait till window shuts to make predictions, month left and I cannot see none of the big clubs not signing anyone else so could all change.

The competition itself doesn't matter that much however it matters so much because we because beat Jose Mourinho's Chelsea in a competitive game. If it was in a friendly then it wouldn't matter as much. The community shield doesn't really matter, however it's a competitive match.

You just undid your point yourself there

Personally I would wait till window shuts to make predictions, month left and I cannot see none of the big clubs not signing anyone else so could all change.

Oh we know. But we're bored waiting for the season to start so we're messing around.

Back