The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Cleverley out performed him when ManUtd played Arsenal. He was very overrated because he was able to dribble.

I liked his performance against Barca though, especially at such young age.
You can't base that on one game? Wilshere is superior to cleverly in every way. He's got way better technical ability all round, apart from dribbling, he's much more creative, mentally stronger (captain material) and has a burst of pace. The reason he gets injures so much is because he's a very brave player that likes to get stuck in. He's rated by virtually every manager and player out there, still at Arsenal and was MOTM in 8 internationals in a row. He's in a different league to Cleverly.

You can't base that on one game? Wilshere is superior to cleverly in every way. He's got way better technical ability all round, apart from dribbling, he's much more creative, mentally stronger (captain material) and has a burst of pace. The reason he gets injures so much is because he's a very brave player that likes to get stuck in. He's rated by virtually every manager and player out there, still at Arsenal and was MOTM in 8 internationals in a row. He's in a different league to Cleverly.

Never said Cleverley was better, I said Cleverley out performed him when both teams played against each other.

And stop with 8 MOTM in Internationals, no one gives a **** about that award. Gerrard even won in 1 game for just being there.

Edit: btw I rate Wilshere highly but Arsenal fans and English media just overrates him a lot as if he is some special player.

Never said Cleverley was better, I said Cleverley out performed him when both teams played against each other.

And stop with 8 MOTM in Internationals, no one gives a **** about that award. Gerrard even won in 1 game for just being there.

Edit: btw I rate Wilshere highly but Arsenal fans and English media just overrates him a lot as if he is some special player.
Being MOTM in 8 consecutive internationals is a very impressive feat, despite him being half fit. Remember that in his last 6 years at Arsenal, he's been injured for 3 years. No player is around at top level playing international football at 23, despite missing 3 years of their career unless they're special. This is epitomised by trust shown in him at international level and club level despite his injury problems. He also looks like he is set to sign a new contract rumoured to be worth £150k per week. Looking at his performances over the past years and the trust shown at club and international level, it's hard to argue that he isn't a special player.

Being MOTM in 8 consecutive internationals is a very impressive feat, despite him being half fit. Remember that in his last 6 years at Arsenal, he's been injured for 3 years. No player is around at top level playing international football at 23, despite missing 3 years of their career unless they're special. This is epitomised by trust shown in him at international level and club level despite his injury problems. He also looks like he is set to sign a new contract rumoured to be worth £150k per week. Looking at his performances over the past years and the trust shown at club and international level, it's hard to argue that he isn't a special player.

Young signed 120K per week deal, that doesn't make him special. That makes club looks stupid. Even Walcott who was injury prone and hardly played in ls 2 years signed 140K per week deal and don't tell me Walcott is also special player.

Btw I didn't find any link for that 8 man of the match awards. Care to post one?

Young signed 120K per week deal, that doesn't make him special. That makes club looks stupid. Even Walcott who was injury prone and hardly played in ls 2 years signed 140K per week deal and don't tell me Walcott is also special player.

Walcott justifies the contract because he's a good finisher and excellent decision maker in the final that's given us nearly a goal or assist per 90 minutes since 2012. Wilshere has practically had more injuries on that period. My point is that Wilshere is getting a 50k pay rise for barely playing since his last contract, while Ashley Young got it over consecutively excellent seasons and justified it at the time of joining. Wilshere walks into the national team and the Arsenal team (to an extent) because of his ability. He performs rediculously well, considering he isn't fully fit, as shown by his rediculous MOTM international record. Before Özil joined, he was our star man and easily outshined Cazorla.

Wilshere isn't close to world class. He's not as good as Rakitic, and he isn't world class either

Whilshere is quality but I don't remember anyone saying he was world class.

Is he though? He has been very unlucky with injuries and it's obvious he has talent but he doesn't do much when he does play for me

Career stats:
114 Appearances
7 goals
11 assists

(numbers may vary depending on where you look but these wont be far off)

An article was published in December which said Fabregas has had more assists in 16 games for Chelsea than Wilshere has had in his career

Whilshere is quality but I don't remember anyone saying he was world class.

He definately had the ability atm, however to be considered world class, he needs to have a solid injury free 2 seasons. I've been watching Rakitic since his early Devil la days and watched his wonderfully transition from a half decent goalscoring midfielder to a top quality deep lying playmaker, however as good as he is at his role, he definately isn't as naturally talented as Wilshere who has alot more to his game.

He definately had the ability atm, however to be considered world class, he needs to have a solid injury free 2 seasons. I've been watching Rakitic since his early Devil la days and watched his wonderfully transition from a half decent goalscoring midfielder to a top quality deep lying playmaker, however as good as he is at his role, he definately isn't as naturally talented as Wilshere who has alot more to his game.

Rakitic is better defensively, better going forwards, better penalty taker, better range of passing, better goalscorer, he's a better player all round. Also he isn't a deep lying playmaker. He's still what he always was, a creative box to box mid. Wilshere is a better dribbler and thats about it.

Is he though? He has been very unlucky with injuries and it's obvious he has talent but he doesn't do much when he does play for me

Career stats:
114 Appearances
7 goals
11 assists

An article was published in December which said Fabregas has had more assists in 16 games for Chelsea than Wilshere has had in his career

Not all midfielders make the final pass. Özil had more assists in 3 years in La Liga than Iniesta did in over a decade. Xavi is another who had very few assists. Quantitative data is of a very poor use in this context.

Career stats:
114 Appearances
7 goals
11 assists

Not every player can deliver the final assist or score. If you look at Iniesta's contribution purely on those figures you would be disappointed.

Also as players they are really different so no point doing comparisons.

Not all midfielders make the final pass. Özil had more assists in 3 years in La Liga than Iniesta did in over a decade. Xavi is another who had very few assists. Quantitative data is of a very poor use in this context.

Not every player can deliver the final assist or score. If you look at Iniesta's contribution purely on those figures you would be disappointed.
Also as players they are really different so no point doing comparisons.

I fully admit that's a small percentage to judge a player but it is still incredibly low... I've not looked but i would be shocked if Wilshere stood out in any category of stat apart from passing percentage

Rakitic is better defensively, better going forwards, better penalty taker, better range of passing, better goalscorer, he's a better player all round. Also he isn't a deep lying playmaker. He's still what he always was, a creative box to box mid. Wilshere is a better dribbler and thats about it.
Jack is definately better defensively and much braver (why he gets injured so much). There isn't much in it in terms of range of passing tbh. He definately is a better goalscorer, however that's arguably the only stand out advantage Rakitic has. As I've said, none of this bears much meaning until he has a season or 2 fit.

I fully admit that's a small percentage to judge a player but it is still incredibly low... I've not looked but i would be shocked if Wilshere stood out in any category of stat apart from passing percentage

Özil has more in 2010-13 than Iniesta did 2002-2014

Jack is definately better defensively and much braver (why he gets injured so much). There isn't much in it in terms of range of passing tbh. He definately is a better goalscorer, however that's arguably the only stand out advantage Rakitic has. As I've said, none of this bears much meaning until he has a season or 2 fit.

No he isn't. Unlike Rakitic, he isnt actually very good at positioning to make interceptions, he's reckless in the tackle. He doesnt get injured lots because he is brave, he gets injured because he has glass ankles and doesn't know when to release a pass half the time. Rakitic is a superior long range passer. Hazard is the most fouled player in the league by a mile, and he isnt spending 3 months out...

52 of those were from the age of 16 to 19 years of age it would be unfair to expect much from a player of that age.

No he isn't. Unlike Rakitic, he isnt actually very good at positioning to make interceptions, he's reckless in the tackle. He doesnt get injured lots because he is brave, he gets injured because he has glass ankles and doesn't know when to release a pass half the time. Rakitic is a superior long range passer. Hazard is the most fouled player in the league by a mile, and he isnt spending 3 months out...
Hazard isn't as injury prone.

Back