The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Sick note what a player he should have been.

If we are playing prediction game who we all going for as the surprise package? Im torn between Stoke and palace

Depends how you define 'surprise.' I can't see anyone breaking last years top 6. So the European places should be as was. But I can see the middle of the league closing the gap on the last Europa slot.

Also thinking a bigger club could well drop this year. Villa and Newcastle are looking good shouts yet again. Everton should have enough to be clear, but there's a **** of a lot of worried blues around just now on the coming year.

Personally I would wait till window shuts to make predictions, month left and I cannot see none of the big clubs not signing anyone else so could all change.

Depends how you define 'surprise.' I can't see anyone breaking last years top 6. So the European places should be as was. But I can see the middle of the league closing the gap on the last Europa slot.

Also thinking a bigger club could well drop this year. Villa and Newcastle are looking good shouts yet again. Everton should have enough to be clear, but there's a **** of a lot of worried blues around just now on the coming year.

Palace for me.

United are surely better than City. City have poor squad depth and balance in their squad. Sterling and Navas are their only wide players. They then had a surplus of strikers who didn't play because 2 upfront is becoming out of fashion. Yaya Toure's best days are over and their central midfielders aren't good enough. They have lost James Milner who's arguably their most reliable midfielder. Fernando and Fernandinho aren't quite good enough to start at this level. United will definately tip City imo. Liverpool have squad depth, however they haven't attracted any players who would improve the squad.
Liverpool had also lost their best player.

Ehm, Clyne, Firmino? Possibly even Gomez? Benteke is their 2nd best striker after Sturridge, who was injured last year so you can consider him as improvement too.

Stoke, Palace, WHU for me.
Agree with all 3.

Ehm, Clyne, Firmino? Possibly even Gomez? Benteke is their 2nd best striker after Sturridge, who was injured last year so you can consider him as improvement too.

Agree with all 3.

No disrespect, but an untested 18 year old from Charlton isn't improving the first team. Benteke is increasing depth, however he isn't and improvement on the sicknote. Firmino replaced the better Raheem Sterling, weakening Liverpool's attacking midfield. Clyne is the only improvement for Liverpool realistically. Milner will add versatility, however he doesn't have star quality.

Last edited:
I actually think Villa might be a surprise, they have lost their 2 best players but a couple of the replacements look good. Don't think they will drop this year

Wilshere injured for a lengthy period again it seems. What's new?

He has fallen so much behind so that it isn't even that big of a loss. Shame about the ankles as he'd probably be on the top 3 of the club weren't it for the injuries.

Gotta feel for Wilshere. Part of the problem comes with his rather unique dribbling/playing style. Let's hope he does eventually fulfill his potential. It would be sad to see his career go to waste.

Gotta feel for Wilshere. Part of the problem comes with his rather unique dribbling/playing style. Let's hope he does eventually fulfill his potential. It would be sad to see his career go to waste.

Being a gobshite whilst having legs made of tissuepaper?

Jack is a mentally strong, polished player, who's almost reached his world class potential in terms of ability, however his injury record is shocking. He's a much better player than when he was 18, however if he wants to establish himself among the best, he's got to stay fit. This injury is bad luck, as it was caused by a bad tackle in training. There's not much that can be done to prevent it unfortunately.

You know, there comes a point in time where explaining every injury with bad luck just isn't plausible anymore. I'm constantly puzzled why more clubs didn't invest in something resembling famous Milan Lab. They've had systematic and scientifc longterm approach to injury prevention, and shockingly enough, whole lot of players were able to play at high level to very late 30s. Maybe even more importantly, they were somehow able to ship Kaka or Shevchenko for big fees just as these two were about to go to **** with injuries.

Last edited:
One of the most over hyped, over rated players of his generation for me.

And the injuries don't make him that.

22 champions league appearances, 28 international caps and 100 league games for Arsenal at 23, despite being injured for literally 3 years in total at 23! Did I mention that he's been man of the match in 8 internationals in a row? His performances when fit show nothing to suggest that he's overrated in any shape or form. This is shown by the trust of Arsene Wenger and Roy Hodgson.

You know, there comes a point in time where explaining every injury with bad luck just isn't plausible anymore. I'm constantly puzzled why more clubs didn't invest in something resembling famous Milan Lab. They've had systematic and scientifc longterm approach to injury prevention, and shockingly enough, whole lot of players were able to play at high level to very late 30s. Maybe even more importantly, they were somehow able to ship Kaka or Shevchenko for big fees just as these two were about to go to **** with injuries.

A club at this level with this many resources would inevitably have state of the art medical facilities. There's not much you can do in this situation, unless you can turn him into a cyborg. If there was a quick fix, it would have been done by now. Fracturing a bone from a bad tackle isn't preventable.

22 champions league appearances, 28 international caps and 100 league games for Arsenal at 23, despite being injured for literally 3 years in total at 23! Did I mention that he's been man of the match in 8 internationals in a row? His performances when fit show nothing to suggest that he's overrated in any shape or form. This is shown by the trust of Arsene Wenger and Roy Hodgson.

Cleverley out performed him when ManUtd played Arsenal. He was very overrated because he was able to dribble.

I liked his performance against Barca though, especially at such young age.

Back