The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Week Monday.

Aside from another absolute disgrace from Sky and the Premier League in scheduling it for Monday Night (On top of the scandalous £64 ticket price from Arsenal), we relish seeing just how strong Arsenal actually are .....

Why Arsenal have the best second string in the Premier League - Telegraph

Reading the article, Arsenal clearly have the strongest overall squad, however Chelsea have the best first 11. Ramires offers more legs than Flamini, however he has a poor first touch and he's clueless tactically. If we were to sign another DM, I'd rather have Flamini leave. Arteta is club captain for a reason, however unfortunately his legs are going. Remember that they are only backups. I don't things that there are many or any teams in Europe with better squad depth, explaining the transfer strategy of signing only 'exceptional players'. For example, Jackson Martinez wouldn't have been an improvement on Giroud, while Benzema is a class above both. If we can sign him, well win the league imo. We've also signed a legendary goalkeeper that can be worth 12-15 points per season.
Dude, you're a bit delusional. "I don't things that there are many or any teams in Europe with better squad depth"
Really? Bayern, PSG, Barca 100% better depth. Juve, United arguably. Wolfsburg and Schalke good backup too when you take their financial power into account.

Re winning the league: I'm gonna say this so I can look stupid later, but I think we're never gonna win PL or CL with Wenger as a manager. He can always find a way to **** something up. I don't like saying this, because he was once a top top manager, but so was Arrigo Sacchi, who's only a 4-5 years older than Wenger and haven't managed any team in 14 years. You should know when your time is up.

Re winning the league: I'm gonna say this so I can look stupid later, but I think we're never gonna win PL or CL with Wenger as a manager. He can always find a way to **** something up. I don't like saying this, because he was once a top top manager, but so was Arrigo Sacchi, who's only a 4-5 years older than Wenger and haven't managed any team in 14 years. You should know when your time is up.

It amazes me how he survived through the 10 year trophy-less run. I appreciate all the good will he's built up in everything he's done for Arsenal. But 10 years at a major club with no silverware, being content to just finish top 4 (then invariably crashing out of Europe the first half decent side he's come against in the first knock-out most every year); isn't an acceptable return to put it mildly.

I'd be so conflicted as an Arsenal fan. I'd have the utmost respect and love for everything Arsene has done. But my patience would of LONG worn thin the last decade and I'd of been wanting a change for someone that could actually do what needed to be done and take it on a good few years ago.

But you haven't heard Wenger is a brick-layer, financial consultant and manager?

Barcelona's squad depth is virtually non existent. They use the same magic beans as Chelsea. They have no other strikers other than Suarez, and Pedro is their only backup out wide. They also only have 2 natural centre backs. PSG couldn't field a second 11 either. The only team that could is Bayern. Looking all round, the only area of the pitch where PSG are arguably better is striker (Cavani and Ibra).

It amazes me how he survived through the 10 year trophy-less run. I appreciate all the good will he's built up in everything he's done for Arsenal. But 10 years at a major club with no silverware, being content to just finish top 4 (then invariably crashing out of Europe the first half decent side he's come against in the first knock-out most every year); isn't an acceptable return to put it mildly.

I'd be so conflicted as an Arsenal fan. I'd have the utmost respect and love for everything Arsene has done. But my patience would of LONG worn thin the last decade and I'd of been wanting a change for someone that could actually do what needed to be done and take it on a good few years ago.

Again, in that period, we were out spent by Sunderland, Aston Villa and Stoke. To even make the top 4 each year was a miracle within itself

Again, in that period, we were out spent by Sunderland, Aston Villa and Stoke. To even make the top 4 each year was a miracle within itself

Aside from that being a lame excuse with you having far better players through the duration than all those clubs combined; you're the third biggest club in the Country and the biggest in the South.

That's NO excuse for 10 trophy-less years.

Barcelona's squad depth is virtually non existent. They use the same magic beans as Chelsea. They have no other strikers other than Suarez, and Pedro is their only backup out wide. They also only have 2 natural centre backs. PSG couldn't field a second 11 either. The only team that could is Bayern. Looking all round, the only area of the pitch where PSG are arguably better is striker (Cavani and Ibra).

Are you Wenger in disguise? ;)

your defence of club and manager is somewhat admirable, however you really need to take these arsenal specs off, I don't agree with that article at all and because Wenger collects attacking midfielders like Pokemon cards it kinda skews stuff. But regardless a second 11 won't win you the league, and that team with a supposedly virtually non existent squad depth won everything last season.

Aside from that being a lame excuse with you having far better players through the duration than all those clubs combined; you're the third biggest club in the Country and the biggest in the South.

That's NO excuse for 10 trophy-less years.

You could discuss Arsenal is the third biggest club in the country because of Wenger, because he has been managing Arsenal for this long. What you can blame him though is that except for 1 season in the CL there hasn't been any positive spikes in Arsenal's record for a few years. You could probably say he's been doing a decent job at getting his team to a certain level and keeping them there, but to give his players that extra bit to make them champions? I don't know. Now they have more funds I guess we will see in the coming two years.

Barcelona's squad depth is virtually non existent. They use the same magic beans as Chelsea. They have no other strikers other than Suarez, and Pedro is their only backup out wide.

lolwut.

Whilst the quality of the back ups is debatable over a third of the ones named for arsenal are injured making them as useful as me currently and no team will ever swap all eleven players in a match they want to win

also I think that I would take the united and Liverpool back ups over arsenal and once you throw in the current injuries Chelsea and City may also have better

Last edited:
Are you Wenger in disguise? ;)

your defence of club and manager is somewhat admirable, however you really need to take these arsenal specs off, I don't agree with that article at all and because Wenger collects attacking midfielders like Pokemon cards it kinda skews stuff. But regardless a second 11 won't win you the league, and that team with a supposedly virtually non existent squad depth won everything last season.
The article clearly shows that we have the strongest overall squad in the league, however Chelsea have a better first 11. I love it how squad depth isn't important now that we have it. A few others we're saying that our squad depth isn't good enough, when in fact, it's among the best in Europe.
You could discuss Arsenal is the third biggest club in the country because of Wenger, because he has been managing Arsenal for this long. What you can blame him though is that except for 1 season in the CL there hasn't been any positive spikes in Arsenal's record for a few years. You could probably say he's been doing a decent job at getting his team to a certain level and keeping them there, but to give his players that extra bit to make them champions? I don't know. Now they have more funds I guess we will see in the coming two years.
Firstly, Arsenal are the second biggest club in England. In recent years, all English clubs have underperformed in the Champions league. As you've said, the next few years with increased financial resources are a more appropriate way to judge Arsene Wenger due to the extremely odd situation at a club this big from 2006-13.

I was referring to the magic beans that Chelsea use to start the same team for the whole season.

Whilst the quality of the back ups is debatable over a third of the ones named for arsenal are injured making them as useful as me currently and no team will ever swap all eleven players in a match they want to win

also I think that I would take the united and Liverpool back ups over arsenal and once you throw in the current injuries Chelsea and City may also have better
All of the Arsenal injuries are short or medium term. Welbeck and Wilshere will be back in 2-3 weeks, plus Rosicky is out for only 5-6 weeks. That's the whole point of squad depth. It's as stupid as saying that Chelsea every other team is stronger in goal because Courtois is suspended. That's the while point of depth. We played a stroinjuriwes. with strong subs against West Ham, despite these injuries.

And I was refering to you not having any idea about who Barca has in the squad.

I know they have Munir, Sandro etc, however they are unproven at this level. Vermaelen and Pique are the only natural Centre backs, while Bartra is more of a full back. Mascharano isn't a natural centre back and Barca have gotten away with it at times.

Firstly, Arsenal are the second biggest club in England. In recent years, all English clubs have underperformed in the Champions league. As you've said, the next few years with increased financial resources are a more appropriate way to judge Arsene Wenger due to the extremely odd situation at a club this big from 2006-13.

I was just quoting the ranking of Arsenal from Scouse, hope I didn't offend you :)
I didn't bring up the CL as one of the areas Arsenal is underperforming. I mentioned it because I can remember one season where they excelled (with other English clubs), and except for that, during the long period Wenger has been managing Arsenal he hasn't excelled at alot of top competitions. Thats why I'm not sure if he can make a team champions, but he's most definately a good manager for being this consistant.

Don't let those pesky little silvery things that define great clubs get in the way of your delusions.

Liverpool have won a few more trophies, however Arsenal are bigger in every single other way and so are Chelsea. No one gives a **** about trophies won in the 80's. Arsenal have more fans, a bigger stadium, much stronger squad, much stronger financial stature, a better manager and greater future prospects. It's the same with Chelsea apart from the stadium.

All of the Arsenal injuries are short or medium term. Welbeck and Wilshere will be back in 2-3 weeks, plus Rosicky is out for only 5-6 weeks. That's the whole point of squad depth. It's as stupid as saying that Chelsea every other team is stronger in goal because Courtois is suspended. That's the while point of depth. We played a stroinjuriwes. with strong subs against West Ham, despite these injuries.
But the injuries to all of those players and others isn't uncommon reducing the effectiveness of them as back ups and yes as you say about Courtois as he is out for a game for the next week chelsea are weaker in keeper depth Courtois is as useful as the injured arsenal players. I would also point out the use those subs were against west ham and question the metric you use to put arsenal as the second biggest club in the country

Back