The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Cech should have saved that, beaten very easily there.
Looking at the angle of the shot, it was an impossibility for Petr Cech who was no where near it in reality. No keeper in the world would have saved that.

Another game, another goal because Koscielny would rather mantain his haircut than block the shot. Unbelievable.

It was totally rediculous and shocking considering it's Koscielny of all players, who is our bravest defender with Monreal imo.

Looking at the angle of the shot, it was an impossibility for Petr Cech who was no where near it in reality. No keeper in the world would have saved that.

He was nowhere near because his reflexes were poor and reacted late.

He was nowhere near because his reflexes were poor and reacted late.

Koscielny should have blocked it, but I also agree that Cech should have done much better. Has to do better or Ospina will take starter position again.

Koscielny should have blocked it, but I also agree that Cech should have done much better. Has to do better or Ospina will take starter position again.

The ball went inches past Koscielny's legs. There no way that Cech would have even been able to see the strike, hence he wasn't criticised after the game. Ospina isn't even in the same league as Cech and in all honestly made too many errors last season to be no 1 keeper at Arsenal. He isn't in the same League as Cech who's a massive improvement.

He reacted late because Koscielny obstructed his view.

Okay let's say he reacted late.

He still gave 3/4 effort on his dive. If he gave 100% I wouldn't have an issue. He's been making little mistakes in our two games and is looking rusty.

The ball went inches past Koscielny's legs. There no way that Cech would have even been able to see the strike, hence he wasn't criticised after the game. Ospina isn't even in the same league as Cech and in all honestly made too many errors last season to be no 1 keeper at Arsenal. He isn't in the same League as Cech who's a massive improvement.

Ospina while not on top tier of goalkeepers did really well last season and I really can't out of back of my head think of any mistakes he did. When you compare Ospina's last season to Cech's last full season where he won golden glove Ospina actually come's on top statistically.

I don't fault Cech for goals, but really what's the problem is defenders not going for the block and I think Gabriel should really be given chance to play now.

Okay let's say he reacted late.

He still gave 3/4 effort on his dive. If he gave 100% I wouldn't have an issue. He's been making little mistakes in our two games and is looking rusty.

It does look like he messed up his footwork both for this goal and the last's weeks second goal. Which is weird, cause his footwork was always excellent.

That said, I don't think Palace goal was saveable. Its inch-perfect in Cech's far post, an he only sees it when it passes Koscielny.

Ospina while not on top tier of goalkeepers did really well last season and I really can't out of back of my head think of any mistakes he did. When you compare Ospina's last season to Cech's last full season where he won golden glove Ospina actually come's on top statistically.

I don't fault Cech for goals, but really what's the problem is defenders not going for the block and I think Gabriel should really be given chance to play now.

You can't base the comparison on weak quantative data. Ospina had cost us 6 goals last season. The first was when he let Nathaniel Clyne score straight down the middle from 30 yards out in the Capital One Cup. He then gave Harry Kane a tap in from a corner at White Hart Lane after missing the cross. He then conceded a goal straight down the middle from far out against Monaco, then the Carrasco goal at the end showed embarrassing reactions for a Premier league keeper. He then showed a shocking bit of keeping against Swansea by letting Gomis score a header at a comfortable height with little pace. Lastly, he missed the ball on the last league game of the season from the corner to let Norwich score a simple goal. His handling is also not good enough and his height restricts him massively. He's a decent backup, but nothing else.

Mertesacker/Koscielny are a solid partnership at the back. None of them are stoppage. The only goals that Cech has cost us so far are against West Ham. I'm not sure that Cech has made 2 errors leading to a goal in one game for Chelsea, let alone a season! People are over analysing 2 games of the season. West Ham was just a blip and Crystal Palace could easily have been finished in 30 minutes.

You can't base the comparison on weak quantative data. Ospina had cost us 6 goals last season. The first was when he let Nathaniel Clyne score straight down the middle from 30 yards out in the Capital One Cup. He then gave Harry Kane a tap in from a corner at White Hart Lane after missing the cross. He then conceded a goal straight down the middle from far out against Monaco, then the Carrasco goal at the end showed embarrassing reactions for a Premier league keeper. He then showed a shocking bit of keeping against Swansea by letting Gomis score a header at a comfortable height with little pace. Lastly, he missed the ball on the last league game of the season from the corner to let Norwich score a simple goal. His handling is also not good enough and his height restricts him massively. He's a decent backup, but nothing else.

Mertesacker/Koscielny are a solid partnership at the back. None of them are stoppage. The only goals that Cech has cost us so far are against West Ham. I'm not sure that Cech has made 2 errors leading to a goal in one game for Chelsea, let alone a season! People are over analysing 2 games of the season. West Ham was just a blip and Crystal Palace could easily have been finished in 30 minutes.

Some of these goals you fault Ospina of are as much Ospina's fault as was the Palace goal Cech's. For example let's take the Monaco goal down the middle which was Kondogbia if I remember right and it took deflection from Mertesacker so no chance for Ospina.

Also I just watched Clyne goal again and it came straight through Jack and Bellerin who either one should have tried to block it as they both turned and it was then that Ospina saw the trajectory first time.

Can't remember the rest that well, but all I'm saying that you are bit overplaying Ospina's mistakes and if Cech keeps this up then he will have made more of these mistakes in 3 months than Ospina did in his half of a season. He might not have made mistakes for Chelsea, but you can't look into past for guidance there. He and whole defence need to improve now as they've looked much weaker now than second part of last season.

Some of these goals you fault Ospina of are as much Ospina's fault as was the Palace goal Cech's. For example let's take the Monaco goal down the middle which was Kondogbia if I remember right and it took deflection from Mertesacker so no chance for Ospina.

Also I just watched Clyne goal again and it came straight through Jack and Bellerin who either one should have tried to block it as they both turned and it was then that Ospina saw the trajectory first time.

Can't remember the rest that well, but all I'm saying that you are bit overplaying Ospina's mistakes and if Cech keeps this up then he will have made more of these mistakes in 3 months than Ospina did in his half of a season. He might not have made mistakes for Chelsea, but you can't look into past for guidance there. He and whole defence need to improve now as they've looked much weaker now than second part of last season.
After watching the Ward goal again I can definitely now concede that Cech's footwork wasn't great, although to see that was subtle. The Clyne goal was from 30-35 yards out, with no deflections and above Ospina's head. He dives the wrong way too early and it literally goes inch perfect over his head. When your playing at this level it's unacceptable. You won't see and top keeper get beaten from a shot above his head from 30-35 yards out. It's because he dives too early. It's the same with the Kondogbia goal. If you've seen some goals conceded for Nice, his lack of height has been exposed before and Petr Cech errors are very hard to come by.

After watching the Ward goal again I can definitely now concede that Cech's footwork wasn't great, although to see that was subtle. The Clyne goal was from 30-35 yards out, with no deflections and above Ospina's head. He dives the wrong way too early and it literally goes inch perfect over his head. When your playing at this level it's unacceptable. You won't see and top keeper get beaten from a shot above his head from 30-35 yards out. It's because he dives too early. It's the same with the Kondogbia goal. If you've seen some goals conceded for Nice, his lack of height has been exposed before and Petr Cech errors are very hard to come by.

Not defending Ospina but top keepers do get beat from 30-35 yards. Courtois was beaten from 50-70 yards?
Seaman was beaten so easily for Ronaldinho's free kick in 2002 and also in cup finals

http://youtu.be/T4NoP0eYT2A
Found this little compilation of Giroud's first touch. He's the most creative striker in the league imo. He even got 8 league assists in the 2013-4 season.

'Most creative striker in the league/ World class centre back pairing/ World class midfield/ Better and bigger club etc ad nauseam.'

Better hope you don't lose tonight to those pesky, small fry no-marks from Liverpool or you may well get ripped to Holly **** for all the (outlandish) claims.

Just saying.

http://youtu.be/T4NoP0eYT2A
Found this little compilation of Giroud's first touch. He's the most creative striker in the league imo. He even got 8 league assists in the 2013-4 season.

In the same season Rickie Lambert got 10 assists playing 200 mins less.
Giroud played 3083 mins, 8 assists
Lambert - 10 assists, 2800 mins
Rooney - 10 assists, 2500 mins
Sturridge - 7 assists, 2300 mins
Crouch - 6 assists, 2600 mins
Lukaku - 6 assists, 2600 mins
Aguero - 6 assists, 1600 mins
Torres - 5 assists, 1500 mins
Soldado - 5 assists, 2000 mins.

Giroud is far from most creative forward in the league. He does nick flicks now and then and nothing more.

Not defending Ospina but top keepers do get beat from 30-35 yards. Courtois was beaten from 50-70 yards?
Seaman was beaten so easily for Ronaldinho's free kick in 2002 and also in cup finals
Not inch perfect straight above your head.

Back