The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
'Most creative striker in the league/ World class centre back pairing/ World class midfield/ Better and bigger club etc ad nauseam.'

Better hope you don't lose tonight to those pesky, small fry no-marks from Liverpool or you may well get ripped to Holly **** for all the (outlandish) claims.

Just saying.
I never said that both Koscielny and Mertesacker were world class. I said that Koscielny is. You could argue that they are a top quality pairing. We do have world-class players in our midfield (Cazorla, Özil and Alexis). Arsenal are a bigger club than Liverpool undisputedly. Times have changed. Arsenal have more financial power, with way more fans and a bigger brand. We also have a better playing squad, with better future prospects and a better chance of trophies, with a state of the art football stadium. The definition of big is if something is of 'considerable size or extent' or is 'of considerable importance or seriousness'. The above factors are why Arsenal are valued at £1.2 billion, while Liverpool are valued at £537 million. State of the art facilities and infrastructure, combined with low debt levels and potential for commercial growth makes club size no contest.

In the same season Rickie Lambert got 10 assists playing 200 mins less.
Giroud played 3083 mins, 8 assists
Lambert - 10 assists, 2800 mins
Rooney - 10 assists, 2500 mins
Sturridge - 7 assists, 2300 mins
Crouch - 6 assists, 2600 mins
Lukaku - 6 assists, 2600 mins
Aguero - 6 assists, 1600 mins
Torres - 5 assists, 1500 mins
Soldado - 5 assists, 2000 mins.

Giroud is far from most creative forward in the league. He does nick flicks now and then and nothing more.

This is a little flawed in that assists wont show the chances created that were not finished.

he's still wrong though

Rooney
Benteke
Adebayor
Aguero
Arnautovic

I actually stopped listing fowards because he was so far down the list, creating an average of one chance a game.

Cazorla isn't world class, even at his best he wasn't.

And you definitely DO NOT have more fans than Liverpool, not even close. I don't think you even have a bigger brand.

This is a little flawed in that assists wont show the chances created that were not finished.

he's still wrong though

Rooney
Benteke
Adebayor
Aguero
Arnautovic

I actually stopped listing fowards because he was so far down the list, creating an average of one chance a game.

Yeah, I didn't want to use assists stat. Just that he used 8 assists, I showed how many strikers had more by playing lesser mins.

Predictions for tonight?
3-1

he's still wrong though

Rooney
Benteke
Adebayor
Aguero
Arnautovic

I'm a big fan of his and my claims were a bit exaggerated, however my point is that he uses the ball very well in the final third and links attack to midfield beautifully. When Walcott or Welbeck play upfront, it's never the same because they don't have the same sort of technical ability that Giroud has. I think that we're fine upfront, however if the opportunity comes for a world class one like Benzema, we have to take it.
For all 3 goals, goal keepers had more than enough time to save that. **** happens even with the best.
It does. Ospina played very well relative to his abilility in the second half of last season and should he have made Cech's mistakes, we would have been more forgiving, however I can understand why Cech is being criticised (being a legendary keeper).

It does. Ospina played very well relative to his abilility in the second half of last season and should he have made Cech's mistakes, we would have been more forgiving, however I can understand why Cech is being criticised (being a legendary keeper).

Not sure what your point is as it's completely different from your OP. You said top keepers don't get beaten from 30-35 yards and I just gave 3 examples where top keepers were beaten very easily.

Arsenal are a bigger club than Liverpool undisputedly. Times have changed. Arsenal have more financial power, with way more fans and a bigger brand. We also have a better playing squad, with better future prospects and a better chance of trophies, with a state of the art football stadium. The definition of big is if something is of 'considerable size or extent' or is 'of considerable importance or seriousness'. The above factors are why Arsenal are valued at £1.2 billion, while Liverpool are valued at £537 million. State of the art facilities and infrastructure, combined with low debt levels and potential for commercial growth makes club size no contest.

Not sure why state of art facilities or infrastrucure is taken as a indicator of how big a club is. Tomorrow if Ambramovich goes and builds a 100k seater stadium, that doesn't make Chelsea bigger than Manchester United as a club. I highly doubt Arsenal have more fans and conversely, that means you probably don't have a bigger brand. It's arguable whether the playing squad and chance of trophies is better but nonetheless, that doesn't mean you are a bigger club. Last season, Chelsea had a better squad than United but that doesn't mean we are a bigger club

And you definitely DO NOT have more fans than Liverpool, not even close. I don't think you even have a bigger brand.

Didn't you get the memo? There are now 50 world-class players or more in every position. The stars of mid-table clubs? WC. The starters at top tier clubs? WC. Wonder kids with one good season? WC. Field Marshal Haig, Field Marshal Haig's wife, all Field Marshal Haig's wife's friends, their families, their families' servants, their families' servants' tennis partners, and some chap I bumped into the mess the other day called Bernard? All WC.

Not defending Ospina but top keepers do get beat from 30-35 yards. Courtois was beaten from 50-70 yards?
Seaman was beaten so easily for Ronaldinho's free kick in 2002 and also in cup finals
All of these goals were lobs. This was a straight, driven shot above his head from 30-35 yards out. Courtois had a high starting position, because Chelsea were high up the pitch. Seaman should have done better with the Ronaldinho goal, however this was a lesser straightforward save, as no one aims for the far corner than that angle. None of them were a straight, driven shot above the head.
For all 3 goals, goal keepers had more than enough time to save that. **** happens even with the best.

Not sure what your point is as it's completely different from your OP. You said top keepers don't get beaten from 30-35 yards and I just gave 3 examples where top keepers were beaten very easily.

• Brand value ranking football clubs worldwide 2015 | Statistic

BBC Sport - Which is the Premier League's biggest club?

Liverpool valued at almost £540m in latest finance report - but you'll be surprised which club is worth more - Liverpool Echo
Arsenal have 113 million fans, compared to Liverpool's 71 million. Brand value is £126 million higher and club value is £1.1 billion compared to Liverpool's £540 million.

Not sure why state of art facilities or infrastrucure is taken as a indicator of how big a club is. Tomorrow if Ambramovich goes and builds a 100k seater stadium, that doesn't make Chelsea bigger than Manchester United as a club. I highly doubt Arsenal have more fans and conversely, that means you probably don't have a bigger brand. It's arguable whether the playing squad and chance of trophies is better but nonetheless, that doesn't mean you are a bigger club. Last season, Chelsea had a better squad than United but that doesn't mean we are a bigger club
Facilities and infrastructure are a key indicator of club size. Should Chelsea have the support to fill and build a 100k seater stadium in London, they will become a bigger club provided they are able to handle huge debt levels and still stay successful, although they would be bigger, United would be bigger in every other way other than squad strength.

damola, if you honestly believe what you read that Arsenal have more fans and are a bigger brand World wide than Liverpool Football Club I don't know what anyone, let alone myself, can tell you.

Fan wise, there's only the two Spanish giants and maybe Celtic and Rangers that compare to Liverpool and even more so Utd on a World wide basis.

This isn't the best example given its a traditional stronghold, but as an example I was in Belfast over the weekend. And I saw loads of Liverpool and Utd shirts. And even more Rangers and Celtic shirts. With a couple of Chelsea. And nothing else. And I can guarantee wherever I go in the World, the main two clubs anyone wants to talk about are Liverpool and Utd. Arsenal barely register in Europe down to having little to no European history. You can mock history as much as you like, and try push Arsenal down to being a financial player today; but you honestly are nothing of a name compared to the North West's big two.

Feel free to argue the contrary. Everyone that knows knows. And like I said, there's little gonna' change your sadly ill informed mind.

You want to travel around the World and test your theory out. You'll be surprised at the outcome.

damola, if you honestly believe what you read that Arsenal have more fans and are a bigger brand World wide than Liverpool Football Club I don't know what anyone, let alone myself, can tell you.

Fan wise, there's only the two Spanish giants and maybe Celtic and Rangers that compare to Liverpool and even more so Utd on a World wide basis.

This isn't the best example given its a traditional stronghold, but as an example I was in Belfast over the weekend. And I saw loads of Liverpool and Utd shirts. And even more Rangers and Celtic shirts. With a couple of Chelsea. And nothing else. And I can guarantee wherever I go in the World, the main two clubs anyone wants to talk about are Liverpool and Utd. Arsenal barely register in Europe down to having little to no European history. You can mock history as much as you like, and try push Arsenal down to being a financial player today; but you honestly are nothing of a name compared to the North West's big two.

Feel free to argue the contrary. Everyone that knows knows. And like I said, there's little gonna' change your sadly ill informed mind.

You want to travel around the World and test your theory out. You'll be surprised at the outcome.

As someone who was recently in Asia, you can add Bayern to that list, **** even Manchester City was mentioned more than Arsenal when I was in Vietnam and Cambodia.

I'll go boring nil nil, but I would take 8 nil Liverpool with Gomez scoring all 8 and Firmino assisting. ;)

Liverpool are have huge worldwide following. Mostly because of the 80s, it was passed to the current generation of fans from their dads. Sort of like a genetic disease. ;)

As someone who was recently in Asia, you can add Bayern to that list, **** even Manchester City was mentioned more than Arsenal when I was in Vietnam and Cambodia.

The source I quoted listed City as the 4th biggest brand in the world, even more so than Arsenal. Unless you've met everyone in those countries, your qualitative data doesn't mean much, however when combined with quantitive data your opinion on overall strength on the respective brands can possess some truth.

Belfast consists of only 300,000 people in the British Isles. Some London boroughs hold over 300,000. I used to live in East London and visit cousins who lived in Seven Sisters and within that drive there are millions in those boroughs. Brand value isn't limited to just one country. Football in terms of brand value is at a huge global scale. These analytics companies process vast amounts of data to come to these conclusion. Arsenal have twice the value of Liverpool, posess attendances 20,000 higher and have a season ticket waiting list bigger than Anfield. We have a larger brand, which is characterised by much larger commercial revenues. We also have a better playing squad and vastly higher revenue and potential for commercial growth. Karim Benzema saying that Liverpool are too small club for him says it all.

The BBC have a good article on this and even the Dailymail (I hate with a passion) have a good one!

BBC Sport - Which is the Premier League's biggest club?

Is Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea the bigger club? Sportsmail's study finally settles football's great debate | Daily Mail Online

Man United are the biggest club in England ahead of Liverpool and City based on crowds and star players | Daily Mail Online

Arsenal 2-1. Liverpool don't do too well at the Emirates.

Indeed. That's the main reason why you're usually never confident going to Arsenal.

It's like United. No matter how great the gap between Utd and L'pool through the 26 year title drought pre-Premiership, you always had the hoodoo over us in head-to-head's. Anfield or Old Trafford (or even the winner off Greenhof's knee at Wembley in '77) we struggled to beat you.

Arsenal away is the same. You remember the wins at Highbury because they didn't happen often. And the Emirates is shockingly bad with just one victory. I honestly don't have any friends who expect a victory tonight down to the simple fact we just don't do well at Arsenal.

That said, I just have a feeling we're going to end the Arsenal away curse and at the least bring home a point. But my gut, for some reason, is saying all three so I'll stick with that.

I'm never confident when Liverpool face Arsenal at the Emirates and right now I cannot see how Liverpool are going to win this game

Back