The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
I was talking to Epicterrorist about it earlier, and lots of people seem to confuse "good technical ability for a striker" with "good technical ability". Giroud doesn't really create, his touch isn't that good and he isn't the dribbling type. Drogba was surprisingly technical but the reason he worked so well as a Chelsea player was because those attributes were used as a bonus. He was never expected to be that involved in buildup play outside of his aerial ability, and the team was built in a way that worked with that.

You guys on the other hand, really need a striker who offers something a bit different, someone who can either beat his man consistently or add to the buildup, or both. Giroud is a good striker, and gives you a plan B, but he just doesn't have the right skill set to fit in with the players you have and the way that you play. An actually creative striker, who makes lots of moves off the ball, would be ideal. There's a reason why you chased Suarez, and he's exactly the sort of player you need. The fact that you don't have anyone in your squad like that, even just a prospect, is baffling.

This game is a testiment as to why Petr Cech will be the difference,especially if we do win the title this season. Small moments make a big difference. That's given us a point and prevented pressure and a loss of confidence. A loss would have had a knock on effect to the next game.

Football agent Muzzi Ozcan has claimed that Arsenal are working on 'the signing of the summer' and Arsene Wenger has said that he expects to make another signing so that will be interesting.

After losing to United, that was arguably the second most important match of the season, where you wanted to keep top 4 hopes alive and bounce back. You were beaten by a much superior Arsenal side on the day..... .

We didn't want to keep anything alive. We hung it up as soon as the whistle went against Utd and they did everything in their power to get the manager sacked from that point on. Every last one of them were an absolute disgrace to a man the last 9 games.

Arsenal may of played well. But please don't try make out they had anything to compete against as Liverpool laid down and totally died that day to our eternal detriment and disgrace.

Last edited:
I was talking to Epicterrorist about it earlier, and lots of people seem to confuse "good technical ability for a striker" with "good technical ability". Giroud doesn't really create, his touch isn't that good and he isn't the dribbling type. Drogba was surprisingly technical but the reason he worked so well as a Chelsea player was because those attributes were used as a bonus. He was never expected to be that involved in buildup play outside of his aerial ability, and the team was built in a way that worked with that.

You guys on the other hand, really need a striker who offers something a bit different, someone who can either beat his man consistently or add to the buildup, or both. Giroud is a good striker, and gives you a plan B, but he just doesn't have the right skill set to fit in with the players you have and the way that you play. An actually creative striker, who makes lots of moves off the ball, would be ideal. There's a reason why you chased Suarez, and he's exactly the sort of player you need. The fact that you don't have anyone in your squad like that, even just a prospect, is baffling.
Giroud is exactly the type of striker you're describing. His first touch is exquisite and his off the ball movement is second to none. His biggest asset is how he links defence to attack. Have you even watched Giroud for the past few years? The argument is that we could do with a pacey, ruthless finisher that offers something different, rather than a slower, albeit technically gifted striker.

Edit: go on YouTube and you'll see that there are many fan made compilations of his first touch.

Giroud is exactly the type of striker you're describing. His first touch is exquisite and his off the ball movement is second to none. His biggest asset is how he links defence to attack. Have you even watched Giroud for the past few years? The argument is that we could do with a pacey, ruthless finisher that offers something different, rather than a slower, albeit technically gifted striker.

If you genuinely think Giroud is even remotely comparable to a player like Suarez in terms of what he offers in the build up, you're insane.

If you genuinely think Giroud is even remotely comparable to a player like Suarez in terms of what he offers in the build up, you're insane.
Giroud
http://youtu.be/83Exjx0PHy0
http://youtu.be/T4NoP0eYT2A

Suarez
http://youtu.be/8QmeiOc0vsM

Firstly, I never compared the two in terms of buildup play. Suarez is obviously the much better player and you are right, they aren't comparable in terms of buildup play because they have very different styles. Suarez gets most assists by running at players in and around the box, as well as taking them on, while Giroud has to be more precise with his first touch as he plays with his back to play, so other players can feed off him. They are both creative in their own ways.

Luis Suarez doesn't have the physical attributes to play with his his back to play like that and vica versa (Giroud isn't quick and can't dribble). They are both creative in their own ways.

Well whoever this signing of the summer is, it certainly doesn't look like Benzema. Madrid don't want to sell and Wenger just said the story is dead

This x 1000 Suarez is one of the best link players on the planet. He's also a lethal forward in his own. The ONLY thing Giroud has on him is aerial ability, which doesnt make up for everything else Suarez hammers him on.

Well whoever this signing of the summer is, it certainly doesn't look like Benzema. Madrid don't want to sell and Wenger just said the story is dead

He tweeted this afternoon that he is happy and will be staying at his club. Madrid.

Amazing how many times it needs saying and is just pure lazy journalism.

And given the fact he absolutely detests Giroud and vice versa, it baffles me why any Arsenal fan would want to gamble on team harmony for talent. Players don't have to get on with one another. But those two openly detest each other.

*Edit* These where the earlier tweet's I referred to:

Transfer News Live
‏@DeadlineDayLive
1m1 minute ago

Karim Benzema has confirmed that he will be going no where this summer. Sorry Arsenal fans. (Source: @Benzema)

Karim BenzemaVerified account ‏@Benzema

For all those clowns who want to make believe things at my fans. Here this is my home ! #HalaMadridYNadaMas

Last edited:
If any of you recently had blood in your stool, its dead braincells being released through your **** after reading damola's posts.

The guy said a month ago that Benzema definitely isn't joining.

Arsene Wenger has said that he expects to make another signing so that will be interesting.

I don't remember him saying that he expects to make another signing but I do remember saying that is trying his hardest to look for the right players.

This x 1000 Suarez is one of the best link players on the planet. He's also a lethal forward in his own. The ONLY thing Giroud has on him is aerial ability, which doesnt make up for everything else Suarez hammers him on.

I never said that Giroud has better link up play. I'm just saying that they link play with different styles. Suarez is probably the best link up top in the world, however I never brought Suarez up. My arguement was that it's a strength for Giroud.
He tweeted this afternoon that he is happy and will be staying at his club. Madrid.

Amazing how many times it needs saying and is just pure lazy journalism.

And given the fact he absolutely detests Giroud and vice versa, it baffles me why any Arsenal fan would want to gamble on team harmony for talent. Players don't have to get on with one another. But those two openly detest each other.

They clashed in an international game and Giroud later clarified that they have a healthy rivalry for top spot in the national team. They both embrace each other when they score stand seem to have no problems. They don't openly deteste each other.

If any of you recently had blood in your stool, its dead braincells being released through your **** after reading damola's posts.

Again, I never said that Giroud had better link up play. I was contrasting styles and I didn't bring Suarez up in the first place. You can't exactly say that build up play isn't one of Giroud's strengths.

LMAO thats harsh lol. Damola despite being biased does have a point. He isnt comparing luis suarez build up play to giroud he is just saying they have different styles. Having watched giroud you have to admit despite his faults he is one of the best strikers for buildup play. He is excellent at bringing others into the game. Luis suarez on the other hand is another level.

LMAO thats harsh lol. Damola despite being biased does have a point. He isnt comparing luis suarez build up play to giroud he is just saying they have different styles. Having watched giroud you have to admit despite his faults he is one of the best strikers for buildup play. He is excellent at bringing others into the game. Luis suarez on the other hand is another level.
Just Scouse twisting my words yet again. I didn't even bring up Suarez in the first place.

They clashed in an international game and Giroud later clarified that they have a healthy rivalry for top spot in the national team. They both embrace each other when they score stand seem to have no problems. They don't openly deteste each other.....

I'm not going to debate this as I'm too tired but you're misinformed/ misguided if you think they don't.

Just Scouse twisting my words yet again. I didn't even bring up Suarez in the first place.

Now you're resorting to outright lying within an hour of the conversation with someone else.

You're stumbling from bad to worse tonight.

Best advice I can give is 'read more, post less.' Because you're not coming out looking too clever at all.

I never said that Giroud has better link up play. I'm just saying that they link play with different styles. Suarez is probably the best link up top in the world, however I never brought Suarez up. My arguement was that it's a strength for Ben.

They clashed in an international game and Giroud later clarified that they have a healthy rivalry for top spot in the national team. They both embrace each other when they score stand seem to have no problems. They don't openly deteste each other.

Again, I never said that Giroud had better link up play. I was contrasting styles and I didn't bring Suarez up in the first place. You can't exactly say that build up play isn't one of Giroud's strengths.

there were 2-3 chances tonight that a top class technically gifted striker would have finished, especially the last one. You overestimate how technically good Giroud is, as Subtle already stated there is acollossal difference between being technically good for a big man and being technically good. Whichever way you want to look at it, the style of play and player Wenger has at his disposal giroud doesn't fit, you also reckon giroud'so first touch is exquisite I'll just leave this here as an example of exquisite first touch

[video=youtube_share;Y_H1BrDeHiY]http://youtu.be/Y_H1BrDeHiY[/video]

Last edited:
I gotta say that Giroud exceeded my expectations. When he joined, I thought he wouldn't work at all in our team, and first season was quite bad. However, he developed very well, especially technically. His first touch used to be very poor and I think it got better, but he still has an off occasionally and overall he does have good technicaly ability for a big striker. Also, there is no creativity to speak of, he just passes to player in better position, he's often only player in the box and he passes it to the closest player who is in the box who then scores. He has an assist, but this isn't creativity, but simple football basics.

Back