The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
A player that drops deep, dribbles and looks for the killer pass is the last thing that we need. Most of Giroud's creative play aren't even flick ons and knockdowns. It's that he's a very polished player with his feet. We already have sooo many of the player you're describing. We have Alexis, Cazorla, Özil, Wilshere, Rosicky etc. If we were to sign a striker, he would have to be a 'killer striker' as Jose Mourinho calls it. Absolutely ruthless in front of goal.

Why chase Benzema then? If you only need a player that can finish, why chase such a well sought after player and pay so much more for the playmaking abilities of a striker when you don't need them?

Why chase Benzema then? If you only need a player that can finish, why chase such a well sought after player and pay so much more for the playmaking abilities of a striker when you don't need them?

Benzema is very good at linking attack to midfield and he's an excellent finisher. Benzema is extremely clinical. He can play pretty much every role.

I would not define this as a creativity. For me, creativity means that player can do things the opposition doesn't expect, he sees thing others don't see. Everybody can see Wilshere running to the box. Passing the ball to him is the most obvious thing to do.

Biggest problem of ours is getting the ball and players into the box and making a better use of counter attacks. At the end of last season, Giroud was often criticized for not scoring goals. I made a little graphics to show what I personally noticed
Giroud - Album on Imgur

You can see that in some games, he barely has any touches in the box. This may be down to him not moving so clever, but to me its clear that we can't unlock the defense even with the midfield we have. We are often too static, and that's why we need a winger and striker who will move more and help open the defenses. I'd also prefer playing Ramsey over Santi in CM position, because he can make runs that can disrupt oppositions defense. Santi I'd prefer in AM spot with Ozil benched (I'm not his biggest fan tbh).
Half of those games were difficult away games, where we weren't high enough to play that way in the box. The Hull performance was one of the best away performances i've seen in years.

Again, the exact team that played yesterday were the best in Europe during 2015, which is a testiment to the balance possessed. We created enough to win, however didn't poses the luck or sharpness to score. Should Ramsey's goal have been rightfully allowed and we took our chances, we wouldn't be talking about this right now. Ale is and Giroud also failed to score from point blank range. The team wasn't sharp there.

I also think that your asessment of the goal was very harsh. Giroud had pressure from defenders and his back to play, has to time the pass and apply the right weight to keep it onside. If that's so obvious, why doesn't every striker do it? Most strikers would have laid it off at that position.

Isn't Benzema a ruthless finisher?

I'm just going to copy and paste my last post here with bolded text.

I'm just going to copy and paste my last post here with bolded text.

Pretty much all world class strikers link attack and midfield very well. My point was that Giroud is very good at linking defence to attack and he's a decent finisher, however there's no point on buying a similar player to him. Any new striker should be quick, links midfield to attack well, be capable of running at players and be a ruthless finisher.

To the same extent and in a similar style to Benzema?
Apologies for any misunderstanding. What I meant is that any striker we sign should be with the criteria to be pacey, clinical and posess some sort of dribbling ability. For those 3 reasons, Benzema would offer alot more to Arsenal. Giroud is just a very good strikers who's a decent finisher and he can link defence to attack well. Benzema is a 'killer' in front of goal, possess some pace and he can run at players.

I also think that your asessment of the goal was very harsh. Giroud had pressure from defenders and his back to play, has to time the pass and apply the right weight to keep it onside. If that's so obvious, why doesn't every striker do it? Most strikers would have laid it off at that position.

No doubt, the execution is not easy, but that's more down to physical and technical aspect of the game. Creativity is mental IMO, and he has 3 options to pass: Wilshere, pass it back to Flamini or blindly pass it to bad positioned Cazorla. Wilshere seems to me like the most logical solution, which doesn't mean it's simple.

Apologies for any misunderstanding. What I meant is that any striker we sign should be with the criteria to be pacey, clinical and posess some sort of dribbling ability. For those 3 reasons, Benzema would offer alot more to Arsenal. Giroud is just a very good strikers who's a decent finisher and he can link defence to attack well. Benzema is a 'killer' in front of goal, possess some pace and he can run at players.

No shout for Walcott? I rate him though others seem to disregard him :S

No shout for Walcott? I rate him though others seem to disregard him :S

He scored 21 goals and got 14 assists in 33 starts in his best ever season playing mainly on the wing he is a top class finisher, but can't hold the ball up when playing as a lone striker. We usually struggle to get up the pitch when playing like this. Walcott isn't a striker. He if he plays like he did in his last fit season, he can definately be a world class winger. He just needs to stay fit.

Last edited:
Don't see us beating Bayern at home or away tbh.
We've done it before. They've never beaten us at the Allianz. Bayern are the favourites, however I'm confident that we can top the group. If we beat Zagreb and Olympiakos home and away, then sneak a result against Bayern, we could top the group. This is a much stronger Arsenal team than Bayern last faced. I think that we will sign a player by deadline day. Football agent Muzzi Ozcan has claimed that Arsenal are working on a great signing and Arsene Wenger is expecting one. We are the deadline kings.

We've done it before. They've never beaten us at the Allianz. Bayern are the favourites, however I'm confident that we can top the group. If we beat Zagreb and Olympiakos home and away, then sneak a result against Bayern, we could top the group. This is a much stronger Arsenal team than Bayern last faced. I think that we will sign a player by deadline day. Football agent Muzzi Ozcan has claimed that Arsenal are working on a great signing and Arsene Wenger is expecting one. We are the deadline kings.

I really hope that we top the group and also sign a player. However, Arsene Wenger is always adamant that Arsenal are no where near close to signing anybody.

So you are saying if we get 15 out of 18 points we should win the group?

They didn't beat you in the second leg as the tie was over in the first leg. They were complacent and nothing more.

Back