The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
No I think I said that I would take WC player like Vidal over pure DM as we aren't going to get Busquets, Mascherano or like of that DM though I'd personally go right now and activate Krychowiak's RC.

Oh okay, I misunderstood it back then or didn't remember correctly now.

You cant really be comparing ronaldinho with anybody let alone giroud. Just take it for what it is that giroud is vastly underrated and is an excellent support striker.

there were 2-3 chances tonight that a top class technically gifted striker would have finished, especially the last one. You overestimate how technically good Giroud is, as Subtle already stated there is acollossal difference between being technically good for a big man and being technically good. Whichever way you want to look at it, the style of play and player Wenger has at his disposal giroud doesn't fit, you also reckon giroud'so first touch is exquisite I'll just leave this here as an example of exquisite first touch

[video=youtube_share;Y_H1BrDeHiY]http://youtu.be/Y_H1BrDeHiY[/video]
Your logic and reasoning there is rediculous by setting a legendary first touch by Ronaldinho as the benchmark of having a good first touch. It's soooo unfair to compare it to Ronaldinho's. Does that mean that player's like Iniesta, Xavi, Silva etc don't have exquisite first touches because they haven't done what Ronaldinho's just done? Let's say that Aguero is a poor finisher because he's never scored from the halfway line.

You cant really be comparing ronaldinho with anybody let alone giroud. Just take it for what it is that giroud is vastly underrated and is an excellent support striker.

I wasn't directly comparing Ronaldinho to Giroud, I was showing Damola what exquisite first touch is, it either is or it isn't it doesn't matter who it is coming from. I also fail to see how Giroud is vastly underrated, no one is saying he is ****, just that he is decent nothing more nothing less. He has never got past the magic 20 goal mark despite having some pretty creative players behind him and we are saying that he doesn't fit arsenals style given the personal they have as much as a pacey technically gifted striker would. I think tbf that is taking it as it is.

[video=youtube_share;Y_H1BrDeHiY]http://youtu.be/Y_H1BrDeHiY[/video]

Hold on a second. Controlling a floater ball like that is easiest thing in the world. Either move your foot down when ball is about to touch, or just let loose of the muscles in your foot. Physics will take of the rest.

Obviously I'm not saying Ronaldinho was ****, but that's probably not best example. This is exquisite touch:

[video=youtube;QhzrUpT2O-4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhzrUpT2O-4[/video]

Your logic and reasoning there is rediculous by setting a legendary first touch by Ronaldinho as the benchmark of having a good first touch. It's soooo unfair to compare it to Ronaldinho's. Does that mean that player's like Iniesta, Xavi, Silva etc don't have exquisite first touches because they haven't done what Ronaldinho's just done? Let's say that Aguero is a poor finisher because he's never scored from the halfway line.

Oh my ******* god, your posts make my eyes bleed, talk about giving an inch and taking a mile. You really need to start thinking about what you write before you post because the above is quite frankly nonsense

Hold on a second. Controlling a floater ball like that is easiest thing in the world. Either move your foot down when ball is about to touch, or just let loose of the muscles in your foot. Physics will take of the rest.

Obviously I'm not saying Ronaldinho was ****, but that's probably not best example. This is exquisite touch:

I don't disagree, ronaldinho was just the first person who came to mind, I put ronaldinho first touch in google and was first hit. But yeah that one by zidane was ******* magical I posted it in the United thread I think a few months back.

I wasn't directly comparing Ronaldinho to Giroud, I was showing Damola what exquisite first touch is, it either is or it isn't it doesn't matter who it is coming from. I also fail to see how Giroud is vastly underrated, no one is saying he is ****, just that he is decent nothing more nothing less. He has never got past the magic 20 goal mark despite having some pretty creative players behind him and we are saying that he doesn't fit arsenals style given the personal they have as much as a pacey technically gifted striker would. I think tbf that is taking it as it is.

Last season, he scored 19 despite breaking his leg and the year before, he scored 22 goals. Anyone who's watched Giroud play much can pretty much say that he blends into the intricate football we play.

Oh my ******* god, your posts make my eyes bleed, talk about giving an inch and taking a mile. You really need to start thinking about what you write before you post because the above is quite frankly nonsense

Those touches you've shown are beyond exquisite in my opinion. It seems we have different interpretations of exquisite. By exquisite, I mean that a players first touch is good enough to keep the ball under control 99 out of 100 times, not whip out a Ronaldinho esque touch out of nowhere.

I was discussing ball control with a former premier league coach on a residential in the past and we were discussing first touch. From a coaches point of view, the Zidane touch was much better. The Ronaldinho touch could have been done by 99% of high level footballers technically, however what made it special was that he controlled front up to a defender from point blank range. Most players would have done it with their back to the defender to give th em margin for error incase they miscontrol it. Ronaldinho was arrogant enough to do it with no margin for error, from point blank range.

Zidane's touch would be what most coaches would be looking for. As well as being technically excellent, he's taken the ball away from the defender, buying him more time on the ball to pick out a pass. The best touches are the ones that buy you space and time by taking the ball away from opponents and keeping it under control.

Those touches you've shown are beyond exquisite in my opinion. It seems we have different interpretations of exquisite. By exquisite, I mean that a players first touch is good enough to keep the ball under control 99 out of 100 times, not whip out a Ronaldinho esque touch out of nowhere.

you our really have no idea what the word exquisite means do you? The ronaldinho esque touch out of nowhere is more akin to exquisite than keeping the ball under control 99 times out of 100, that would be consistent first touch surely?

Oh and for ***** and giggles the oxford dictionary states and I quote "exquisite adjective extremely beautiful and delicate"

I am not normally one to get so pedantic but your previous comment has really annoyed me, but **** it I am tired and at work in 7 hours so I cba no more.

you our really have no idea what the word exquisite means do you? The ronaldinho esque touch out of nowhere is more akin to exquisite than keeping the ball under control 99 times out of 100, that would be consistent first touch surely?

Oh and for ***** and giggles the oxford dictionary states and I quote "exquisite adjective extremely beautiful and delicate"

I am not normally one to get so pedantic but your previous comment has really annoyed me, but **** it I am tired and at work in 7 hours so I cba no more.

I am mistaken then since you've google the definition. I mean that Giroud has a good first touch which is very consistent. I wasn't saying that it's as good as these players. I meant the word in a different context.

I was discussing ball control with a former premier league coach on a residential in the past and we were discussing first touch. From a coaches point of view, the Zidane touch was much better. The Ronaldinho touch could have been done by 99% of high level footballers technically, however what made it special was that he controlled front up to a defender from point blank range. Most players would have done it with their back to the defender to give th em margin for error incase they miscontrol it. Ronaldinho was arrogant enough to do it with no margin for error, from point blank range.

Zidane's touch would be what most coaches would be looking for. As well as being technically excellent, he's taken the ball away from the defender, buying him more time on the ball to pick out a pass. The best touches are the ones that buy you space and time by taking the ball away from opponents and keeping it under control.

Anyone who had 3 days of the most basic training from a part-time school teacher can do Ronaldinho's touch fairly consistently. The technique itself is literally one of the first things they show you and picking it up takes 20 minutes.

Doing it in the frenzy of the game, under pressure, while facing a defender half a meter away, is an entirely different story. 99% of even high level players would just head it, a mistake in this situation can start a deadly counter. But like you've said, this is Ronaldinho's arrogance and confidence in his abilities, rather then touch being something special in itself.

Last edited:
...anyway...

Cech restored faith.

Ozil...non existent this match. Probably show up next match and disappear the following. Pouting, walking, giving away possession, dodeling on the ball...surprised he wasn't subbed. Oxlade deserves his spot.

If that Ramsey goal stood, it would of been a different match. Disappointed with the refereeing yesterday tbh.

Firstly, I never compared the two in terms of buildup play.

But your retort to me saying you needed a Suarez was that you already had the type of striker I was describing. Either he is or he isn't you need to make up your mind.

Suarez is obviously the much better player and you are right, they aren't comparable in terms of buildup play because they have very different styles.

Which is my point really, the style that Giroud plays really doesn't suit the players you have. You need someone who can either run at players, or drop deep and get involved in buildup. This does not mean heading the ball down or holding it up. They may eventually accomplish the same thing, but that's a crazily reductive line to take.

They are both creative in their own ways.

I think we have vastly different ideas of what creativity is.

The pertinent point out of all this being the exact same thing I said at the start, I don't think his brand of flicks ons and knock downs is the style of bringing others into play that you need. Someone who drops deep, and can then threaten to either dribble or make a killer pass would be much more suited to the way that you play. If it was, you would expect him to be creating a lot more chances.

He is very good, he's just not very good for Arsenal. Striker needs a team that plays to his strengths. In a classic 4-4-2 with flying wingers and mobile poacher as attacking partner, Giroud would be God. In a team that always tries to walk it in, he's not offering much.

...anyway...

Cech restored faith.

Ozil...non existent this match. Probably show up next match and disappear the following. Pouting, walking, giving away possession, dodeling on the ball...surprised he wasn't subbed. Oxlade deserves his spot.
In the first half, he hardly received the ball due to poor passing from deep. He was much better in the second half, pinging balls around the area.

But your retort to me saying you needed a Suarez was that you already had the type of striker I was describing. Either he is or he isn't you need to make up your mind.

Which is my point really, the style that Giroud plays really doesn't suit the players you have. You need someone who can either run at players, or drop deep and get involved in buildup. This does not mean heading the ball down or holding it up. They may eventually accomplish the same thing, but that's a crazily reductive line to take.

I think we have vastly different ideas of what creativity is.

The pertinent point out of all this being the exact same thing I said at the start, I don't think his brand of flicks ons and knock downs is the style of bringing others into play that you need. Someone who drops deep, and can then threaten to either dribble or make a killer pass would be much more suited to the way that you play. If it was, you would expect him to be creating a lot more chances.
You said that Giroud isn't creative and at first you were talking broadly. Particularly when high up the pitch, Giroud does drop deep to get involved in buildup. Sometimes, I question whether you've seen Arsenal play much.

http://youtu.be/wz-EaTwqNII

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that creativity? A player that drops deep, dribbles and looks for the killer pass is the last thing that we need. Most of Giroud's creative play aren't even flick ons and knockdowns. It's that he's a very polished player with his feet. We already have sooo many of the player you're describing. We have Alexis, Cazorla, Özil, Wilshere, Rosicky etc. If we were to sign a striker, he would have to be a 'killer striker' as Jose Mourinho calls it. Absolutely ruthless in front of goal.

You said that Giroud isn't creative and at first you were talking broadly. Particularly when high up the pitch, Giroud does drop deep to get involved in buildup. Sometimes, I question whether you've seen Arsenal play much.

http://youtu.be/wz-EaTwqNII

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that creativity? A player that drops deep, dribbles and looks for the killer pass is the last thing that we need. Most of Giroud's creative play aren't even flick ons and knockdowns. It's that he's a very polished player with his feet. We already have sooo many of the player you're describing. We have Alexis, Cazorla, Özil, Wilshere, Rosicky etc. If we were to sign a striker, he would have to be a 'killer striker' as Jose Mourinho calls it. Absolutely ruthless in front of goal.

I would not define this as a creativity. For me, creativity means that player can do things the opposition doesn't expect, he sees thing others don't see. Everybody can see Wilshere running to the box. Passing the ball to him is the most obvious thing to do.

Biggest problem of ours is getting the ball and players into the box and making a better use of counter attacks. At the end of last season, Giroud was often criticized for not scoring goals. I made a little graphics to show what I personally noticed
Giroud - Album on Imgur

You can see that in some games, he barely has any touches in the box. This may be down to him not moving so clever, but to me its clear that we can't unlock the defense even with the midfield we have. We are often too static, and that's why we need a winger and striker who will move more and help open the defenses. I'd also prefer playing Ramsey over Santi in CM position, because he can make runs that can disrupt oppositions defense. Santi I'd prefer in AM spot with Ozil benched (I'm not his biggest fan tbh).

Back