The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
We've done it before. They've never beaten us at the Allianz. Bayern are the favourites, however I'm confident that we can top the group. If we beat Zagreb and Olympiakos home and away, then sneak a result against Bayern, we could top the group. This is a much stronger Arsenal team than Bayern last faced. I think that we will sign a player by deadline day. Football agent Muzzi Ozcan has claimed that Arsenal are working on a great signing and Arsene Wenger is expecting one. We are the deadline kings.

I am not sure why you put so much stock into what Muzzi Ozcan says when Wenger himself has admitted that Arsenal aren't close to any signings at all. Even if this mystery great player is being chased, who do you reckon it is that you actually need?

I am not sure why you put so much stock into what Muzzi Ozcan says when Wenger himself has admitted that Arsenal aren't close to any signings at all. Even if this mystery great player is being chased, who do you reckon it is that you actually need?

He never said that Arsenal were close to a signing. He said that Arsenal are working on a transfer. If we look at club sources themselves, it's clear that they will strengthen the team if we sign them. Lord Harris stupidly stated that we want a striker “On the list is a centre forward, but I’m not going to tell you who he is. I think he wants to come." Then Wenger mid last season, “I’m happy with the signings but we still need a physical presence with prodigious ability like Vieira or Petit.”

He never said that Arsenal were close to a signing. He said that Arsenal are working on a transfer. If we look at club sources themselves, it's clear that they will strengthen the team if we sign them. Lord Harris stupidly stated that we want a striker “On the list is a centre forward, but I’m not going to tell you who he is. I think he wants to come." Then Wenger mid last season, “I’m happy with the signings but we still need a physical presence with prodigious ability like Vieira or Petit.”

Yes but you are confident of attaining said signing when even Wenger admits that you guys aren't even close and the transfer window shuts in a few days. Even Chelsea are working on the transfer of the season (Pogba) but that isn't the same as saying we will do it before the window closes

Yes but you are confident of attaining said signing when even Wenger admits that you guys aren't even close and the transfer window shuts in a few days. Even Chelsea are working on the transfer of the season (Pogba) but that isn't the same as saying we will do it before the window closes
Tbf, Wenger rarely, if ever, admits when we are close to signing someone. Heck he even denied we were close to signing anyone and then about one week later we ended up signing Cazorla.

Tbf, Wenger rarely, if ever, admits when we are close to signing someone. Heck he even denied we were close to signing anyone and then about one week later we ended up signing Cazorla.

Probably down to, as we recently learnt, only signing WC players.

Don't want to tip you hand with the tricky negotiations for World Class talent .....

Probably down to, as we recently learnt, only signing WC players.

Don't want to tip you hand with the tricky negotiations for World Class talent .....
That's why we've only signed Cech so far. Not many WC players have moved so far.

Yep but one week is a long time in football. Chelsea weren't close to signing Pedro and then suddenly 2 days later, he is a CFC player. Muzzle Ozcan has been saying that Arsenal are working on a transfer for the longest time and it's very close to deadline day with Wenger admitting the club isn't close so any confidence that this mystery signing will happen is rather undercut imo

The most confusing thing about Gary Neville's comments are that Arsene Wenger never said he was against signing powerful players and we'd made offers those those kind of players in the past, such as Luiz Gustavo. He even said this mid last season: "I'm happy with the signings but we still need a physical presence with prodigious ability like Vieira or Petit." In my opinion, our team has gotten smaller by coincidence. The only player talented enough to replace Vieira is Paul Pogba and he's unattainable. It will be interesting to see if we do add another central midfielder this transfer window.

Last edited:
The Guardian at the end of the season have stated that Arsenal's priority were a goalkeeper and defensive midfielder: Arsène Wenger seeks defensive midfielder to help Francis Coquelin | Football | The Guardian

Then Lord Harris stupidly revealed Arsenal's bank balance and claimed that Arsene Wenger has shortlisted a world class striker, however 'it depends on whether the team selling can replace him with a superstar'.
Arsenal director backs Arsène Wenger to break transfer record on striker | Football | The Guardian

Later, they reported that Arsenal are monitoring Benzema and may make a late bid in the transfer window as Real didn't want to sell.
Arsenal could yet make late bid for Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema | Football | The Guardian

Out of this, we know that Arsene Wenger was after a world-class goalkeeper, defensive midfielder and striker.
Out of these, we've signed one. We pretty much know that our main striking target is Karim Benzema. So from now until the end of the window, we are after a defensive midfielder and a striker.

He was then talking about how the clubs with top players don't need your resources and it's very hard to sign top players because of this. This fits in line with the Benzema situation and seems to confirm it in my opinion.
Arsène Wenger concerned by inflated market as Arsenal seek new signings | Football | The Guardian

The Telegraph then reported today that Arsenal are monitoring Cavani and Benzema, however they are unlikely to happen unless there is a domino effect of transfers: Arsenal transfer news: We are working day and night to sign world-class striker, says Arsene Wenger - Telegraph

Lastly, Arsene said that he's not very confident at this moment in time. This may make things seem unlikely, however around the end of the transfer windows, clubs are more open to selling. One example on this is Mesut Özil.
This was on the 28th August: Arsenal rejected again after Mesut Ozil opts to stay at Real Madrid | Football | The Guardian

This is on the 2nd of September (5 days later): Arsenal rejected again after Mesut Ozil opts to stay at Real Madrid | Football | The Guardian

That's all of the information I could find on our transfer window and based on this, we have a 50\50 chance of signing a striker or defensive midfielder and a 5% chance of signing both. This is based on our late history in transfer windows, quality of players we're trying to attain and our resources. That's my opinion, but only Arsene Wenger knows! He denies to the very end! Remember Cazorla's signing. On the 13th July 2012, he said "I don't know this guy!", however 12 days later, we've agreed a deal to sign him!

One thing I do know is that we'll all be in for a rough ride until deadline day!

Not impressed today. Poor finishing throughout the match. However, glad to get the 3 points.

We're crying out for a proper number 9.......and also Ozil may get criticized but he sure does make us tick. Very underwhelming start to the season though. We need to spend some money and get a couple of signings in before deadline day.

Nabil Fekir just banged in a hat-trick for Lyon. Wonder if we've looked at him seriously.....he definitely looks very talented and seems like he can finish too.

He didn't reveal a thing as the amount Arsenal have in bank is public knowledge and available to everyone who's interested.

I know that they publish yearly accounts, however he's bragging about it and making it known to everyone.

Nabil Fekir just banged in a hat-trick for Lyon. Wonder if we've looked at him seriously.....he definitely looks very talented and seems like he can finish too.
Firstly, he's an attacking midfielder, not a striker. Secondly, he's not an improvement on what we have. Thirdly, his finishing ability isn't as good as what we already have.

Our lack of goals is because we haven't been clinical. We've had the most attempts in the league so far. Buying a striker will hardly change a thing. Players like Walcott, Alexis, Cazorla etc are all clinical finishers. Alexis has missed 4 clear cut chances on his own this season(three against Palace and one against Liverpool from 3 yards) and the very clinical Theo has missed 2 today, including an open goal. Giroud could have had one today and another against Liverpool. We have too many players not sharp enough and out of form. The same Arsenal team scored in the most premier league games last season.

Firstly, he's an attacking midfielder, not a striker. Secondly, he's not an improvement on what we have. Thirdly, his finishing ability isn't as good as what we already have.

Our lack of goals is because we haven't been clinical. We've had the most attempts in the league so far. Buying a striker will hardly change a thing. Players like Walcott, Alexis, Cazorla etc are all clinical finishers. Alexis has missed 4 clear cut chances on his own this season(three against Palace and one against Liverpool from 3 yards) and the very clinical Theo has missed 2 today, including an open goal. Giroud could have had one today and another against Liverpool. We have too many players not sharp enough and out of form. The same Arsenal team scored in the most premier league games last season.

Buying a striker means nothing, but buying one thats better and more suited to the way team play would change everything.

For example take Aguero or Suarez and put them into team with Özil and Sanchez and we'd be not only favourites for Prem, but could realistically challenge Barca, Real or Bayern for CL which is something we aren't ever going to do with strikers like Giroud and Walcott. I still think Walcott is a RW and bot a striker and only playing there now because Welbeck is injured.

One way by which we could possibly use both Walcott and Giroud more efficiently is use them together in 442, but that isn't going to happen.

Buying a striker means nothing, but buying one thats better and more suited to the way team play would change everything.

For example take Aguero or Suarez and put them into team with Özil and Sanchez and we'd be not only favourites for Prem, but could realistically challenge Barca, Real or Bayern for CL which is something we aren't ever going to do with strikers like Giroud and Walcott.....

If you'd not of taking the P by bidding a pound over the release clause, I have little doubt you'd of gotten him a year before he left.

The American's had just about had their fill of his damaging antics to the brand at that point and where ready to sell for the right price.

If you'd not of taking the P by bidding a pound over the release clause, I have little doubt you'd of gotten him a year before he left.

The American's had just about had their fill of his damaging antics to the brand at that point and were ready to sell for the right price.

Or actually had the balls to take it into court.

Or actually had the balls to take it into court.
What's the point of paying way above a release clause? John Henry even admitted it was illegal afterwards and it wouldn't have been financially viable for any of the parties involved to waste at least 10s of millions of pounds on a court case. That's because FIFA and the FA hate settling things in court. FFP was relaxed because clubs threatened to take legal action and UEFA ****** themselves.

Back