The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
What's the point of paying way above a release clause? John Henry even admitted it was illegal afterwards and it wouldn't have been financially viable for any of the parties involved to waste at least 10s of millions of pounds on a court case. That's because FIFA and the FA hate settling things in court. FFP was relaxed because clubs threatened to take legal action and UEFA ****** themselves.

Hardly 10s of millions for straightforward case like that. Arsenal/Suarez would only need to prove release clause existed and offered enough to activate it while Liverpool would need to contest it. Only thing would be that because of the case it would have probably taken at least until january to get Suarez free to play. Best way would have been to pay 5-10mil over RC and get him liberated.

Hardly 10s of millions for straightforward case like that. Arsenal/Suarez would only need to prove release clause existed and offered enough to activate it while Liverpool would need to contest it. Only thing would be that because of the case it would have probably taken at least until january to get Suarez free to play. Best way would have been to pay 5-10mil over RC and get him liberated.

It is an interesting thought why clubs don't legally contest when they'd be well within their rights to.

We had exactly the same with some Ukrainian winger from Kiev (Dnipro maybe? I forget) when their President turned around and blocked the deal after his clause had been met wanting more money.

You can only presume they don't want the mess of dragged out legal proceedings.

I am 100% sure if arsenal had forked out 10 or 15 mill more suarez would have been wearing an arsenal shirt and we would be possible talking about arsenal as premier league champions that season.

I am 100% sure if arsenal had forked out 10 or 15 mill more suarez would have been wearing an arsenal shirt and we would be possible talking about arsenal as premier league champions that season.

I have no doubt either.

I don't particularly like him, but having had the privilege of watching him up close over that period like yourself he really is a special, special player that demands and brings out the best in everyone around him with his phenomenal nonstop work ethic.

I have no doubt either.

I don't particularly like him, but having had the privilege of watching him up close over that period like yourself he really is a special, special player that demands and brings out the best in everyone around him with his phenomenal nonstop work ethic.

He was a nutcase who took the clubs reputation into the gutter. But what you always got was 110% on the pitch coupled with worldclass ability. I mean the guy was a monster for the full 90mins. He hated to be subsituted and was never injured never fatigued. It was a privilege indeed. Best striker we had since robbie fowler.

He was a nutcase who took the clubs reputation into the gutter. But what you always got was 110% on the pitch coupled with worldclass ability. I mean the guy was a monster for the full 90mins. He hated to be subsituted and was never injured never fatigued. It was a privilege indeed. Best striker we had since robbie fowler.

Suarez was possibly my favourite player to watch while on song. His commitment and desire was amazing. His skill unreal. His last season at Liverpool was quite possibly the best one by any player in the EPL era. He would have smashed Shearers goal record if he wasn't suspended earlier in the season

It is an interesting thought why clubs don't legally contest when they'd be well within their rights to.

We had exactly the same with some Ukrainian winger from Kiev (Dnipro maybe? I forget) when their President turned around and blocked the deal after his clause had been met wanting more money.

You can only presume they don't want the mess of dragged out legal proceedings.

Or maybe no club wants to do it to other clubs. Who knows.

Rumours of a 15mil fee agreed with Bournemouth for Callum Wilson.. Now that would be a strange one

You've got another day of this madness yet... wouldn't rule anything out.... I can't see how you can not come out of this window buying an outfield player especially striker or even a CDM. It's like waving your title hopes goodbye before they've even begun again.

You've got another day of this madness yet... wouldn't rule anything out.... I can't see how you can not come out of this window buying an outfield player especially striker or even a CDM. It's like waving your title hopes goodbye before they've even begun again.

So just like any other summer the last decade or so then?

So just like any other summer the last decade or so then?

Man, you don't understand. We have two elevens that can win the league so we don't need anybody ^^)

But yeah, honestly, I think this is gonna be a trophyless season. I don't see us winning FA Cup for the third time in a row, we are nowhere near winning the league or CL (predicted scenario - 2nd place in groups, tough draw, ****-up in a first match and bit of hope in second but nothing else), in Capital we play kids so this is a no too.

Oh well. I'm hoping there will be atleast some surprises along the way, whether positive or negative.

Man, you don't understand. We have two elevens that can win the league so we don't need anybody ^^)

But yeah, honestly, I think this is gonna be a trophyless season. I don't see us winning FA Cup for the third time in a row, we are nowhere near winning the league or CL (predicted scenario - 2nd place in groups, tough draw, ****-up in a first match and bit of hope in second but nothing else), in Capital we play kids so this is a no too.

Oh well. I'm hoping there will be atleast some surprises along the way, whether positive or negative.

this is never going to go away is it ;)

What happened to the deadline day kings who were working on a 'mystery signing' all summer according to great football agent Muzzie Ozcan that would win them league? Yeah thought as much ...

Back