The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Yup. There's some things money can't buy. You can't buy the kind of passion and determination a local lad has when playing for his childhood club. You just can't. PL has fuckton of great foregin players, but they have no connection to the clubs, to the fans, or to the city. None of them will stay in Manchester or Liverpool when they retire. They play only for themselves. And it shows.

This is pretty much what I think when I watch Ozil play. Like the guy plays for himself, he does a few great passes, presses from time to time and that's it, his mission's done.

There's been enough. You don't "many". You just need a few longterm squad members, who are world class, local and serve as a spine.

If I could be bothered, I could pretty much mathematically pin down the beginning of PL European decline, to the exact same moment in time when the Lampard, Giggs, Scholes, Cole, Terry, Gerrard and so on, all started to age and eventually retire.

It really isn't rocket science. Great local players are gone, and so are the results.

Seriously does anyone even remember when the last time English team went past top foreign club, and actually dominated the tie, and not just squirmed through sheer luck and some desperate last ditch defending? 5-6 years ago?
This is a very interesting topic. There is loose correlation between the decline in English performances and the decrease of quality in Local players. Theoretically, clubs like Arsenal, City and United are top 10 European teams and should be competing in the latter stages of the Champions League, however you wouldn't expect any of them to win it. I definitely agree that youth recruitment is shambolic.

This is pretty much what I think when I watch Ozil play. Like the guy plays for himself, he does a few great passes, presses from time to time and that's it, his mission's done.
Aggression isn't part of his role or personality. He more or less plays a free role tactically. Ozil is like that for every club he's played at, including his country, so I think it would be incorrect to suggest that he simply doesn't care. There are also bonuses and trophies at stake for him an others.

You see, that is the problem. Even if we somehow get out of this group, and manage to get some form and start winning is the league, this season is pretty much ****** again, we'll get tough draw in CL and we lost too many points with "lesser" teams in league already, we can start talking about how the next year is gonna be the one.

I did not want to spoil it to you, but next season, exactly the same thing is gonna happen, unless there are some changes, personell-wise.

BTW, haven't seen the game, what happened to Kos? I see he was subbed, hope it isn't injury.
I didn't exactly see how exactly he got injured but he seemed to walk of fine so let's hope it's nothing too bad otherwise...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I didn't exactly see how exactly he got injured but he seemed to walk of fine so let's hope it's nothing too bad otherwise...

Most likely a small pull, meaning 2-4 weeks realistically.

Thanks for the info guys, I am too lazy at this hour to go through the news :D

Aggression isn't part of his role or personality. He more or less plays a free role tactically. Ozil is like that for every club he's played at, including his country, so I think it would be incorrect to suggest that he simply doesn't care. There are also bonuses and trophies at stake for him an others.

I obviously can't see what's going on in his head, it's completely subjective, just how I feel when I see him play.

The amazing thing is how parochial most English fans are. You see it time and again including Damola's "we should be beating teams like Olympiacos" shtick.

The Greek league may be weak but if you d done any research you would know that:

a) Olympiacos is quite rich even for EPL standards.
b) Their net spend this year is quite high (Im sure much higher than ****'s for example).
c) They ve got a number of pretty decent players including some pretty sought after youngsters. I have seen Pajtim Kasami being described in the English press as "somebody who couldnt get in Fulham's XI". That was 3 years ago. Fact of the matter is that in the interim period he's been great and this summer he was pretty sought after by teams such as Inter. This is just ONE example of the parochialism that goes on here.
d) Olympiacos have been slowly building up their club over the last decade exactly in order to do well in CL. They have a state of the art training ground which is the equal if not better to at least that of half the teams of the EPL.
e) To an outsider (ie not a fan of theirs) **** is ripe for the taking especially with people such as OSPINA as a GK, SANCHEZ being slowly burnt out, Coquelin already fckd and nobody to replace him and nobody really left standing in attack. In the GREEK media and amongst the OLYMPIACOS players they expected to get AT LEAST a draw yesterday.

I have not seen the goals but on the first one you play cech its that simple, second one does come from the manager and how they set up from the kick off surely?

Yep. And is it the first time the last ooooh 6 seasons that **** lose a goal from a set piece? (hint: its not, its the umpteenth time).

The amazing thing is how parochial most English fans are. You see it time and again including Damola's "we should be beating teams like Olympiacos" shtick.

The Greek league may be weak but if you d done any research you would know that:

a) Olympiacos is quite rich even for EPL standards.
b) Their net spend this year is quite high (Im sure much higher than ****'s for example).
c) They ve got a number of pretty decent players including some pretty sought after youngsters. I have seen Pajtim Kasami being described in the English press as "somebody who couldnt get in Fulham's XI". That was 3 years ago. Fact of the matter is that in the interim period he's been great and this summer he was pretty sought after by teams such as Inter. This is just ONE example of the parochialism that goes on here.
d) Olympiacos have been slowly building up their club over the last decade exactly in order to do well in CL. They have a state of the art training ground which is the equal if not better to at least that of half the teams of the EPL.
e) To an outsider (ie not a fan of theirs) **** is ripe for the taking especially with people such as OSPINA as a GK, SANCHEZ being slowly burnt out, Coquelin already fckd and nobody to replace him and nobody really left standing in attack. In the GREEK media and amongst the OLYMPIACOS players they expected to get AT LEAST a draw yesterday.

Add in the new young talented coach Marco Silva and also that because they win their league every year it breeds a winning mentality, anyone who is not blinded by the EPL can soon see why they lost.

Add in the new young talented coach Marco Silva and also that because they win their league every year it breeds a winning mentality, anyone who is not blinded by the EPL can soon see why they lost.

Even if you look at last year Olympiakos only just failed to get out of a group containing last years finalists Juve and the years before Atletico. They were only 1 point behind Juve so have some real quality

I don't deny Olympiakos is a solid club...

They have given us close games in the recent past.

I don't deny Olympiakos is a solid club...

They have given us close games in the recent past.

Still a shockingly bad result.

Greek and Turkish clubs are traditionally real solid at home but rarely travel well. Last night being Olympiacos' first ever victory in England a prime example.

Blinded by EPL? Arsenal have far better team than the Greece team and this has nothing to do with EPL bias or anything. There is a reason no Greece team won against English teams and also scored 3 goals for the first time.

It's simple Arsenal bottle job.

I'm not defending Ospina but can people actually realise that playing Cech was a risk because he had an injury? I would rather have an injury free Cech than one that is injured.

I'm not defending Ospina but can people actually realise that playing Cech was a risk because he had an injury? I would rather have an injury free Cech than one that is injured.

He was fit enough to be on bench and played against Leicester didnt he. So no we dont.

He was fit enough to be on bench and played against Leicester didnt he. So no we dont.

He picked up a strain between the Leicester game and the CL one. Fit enough to be a reserve keeper on the bench, and thus incredibly unlikely to be subbed on and fit enough to start in the CL are pretty different things.

Lets be honest here, Wenger made a huge mistake starting Ospina and we all know that Cech was fit enough to play. Wenger has said that to take pressure off Ospina and justify the decision to start him. Every man and his dog knows that Cech was fine to play. It was a simple bottle job.

Back