The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
In 2015, Arsenal have beaten Manchester United (twice), Chelsea, Manchester City and Bayern Munich, keeping clean sheets in all of those games. How's that for a stat!

You beat Chelsea in the semi-competitive community shield before losing 2-0 against then in a fully competitive EPL game. But good stat nonetheless

Then again while beating big teams is exciting, it's the points against the smaller teams that count. Look at Chelsea in the 13/14 season. We had a fantastic record against the big teams. We bear both Liverpool (front runners for EPL that year) and City twice home and away but still ended up trophyless. In 14/15 season, we weren't as good against big teams but more consistent against the smaller teams won 2 trophies

You beat Chelsea in the semi-competitive community shield before losing 2-0 against then in a fully competitive EPL game. But good stat nonetheless

Then again while beating big teams is exciting, it's the points against the smaller teams that count. Look at Chelsea in the 13/14 season. We had a fantastic record against the big teams. We bear both Liverpool (front runners for EPL that year) and City twice home and away but still ended up trophyless. In 14/15 season, we weren't as good against big teams but more consistent against the smaller teams won 2 trophies
Arsenal have pretty much the leagues best record against smaller teams if you look at the past few seasons. It's been the big games that have been the issue. The issue is that Chelsea weren't consistent and only turned up for big games. Arsenal do usually roll over teams like Watford home and away.

The Community Shield is by fact a competitive game and has been played that way for many seasons. It obviously isn't a very important trophy, but how was the game not competitive?

Arsenal have pretty much the leagues best record against smaller teams if you look at the past few seasons. It's been the big games that have been the issue. The issue is that Chelsea weren't consistent and only turned up for big games. Arsenal do usually roll over teams like Watford home and away.

The Community Shield is by fact a competitive game and has been played that way for many seasons. It obviously isn't a very important trophy, but how was the game not competitive?

Yes but now the roles seem reversed this season. You beat Bayern but lost two stupid games to Dinamo Zagreb and Olympiakos. It's almost as if the Arsenal players only decide to show up against the big European teams on UCL nights and switch off against the smaller teams. If I am not wrong, this problem is not exclusive to this season either

And no the community shield really isn't a fully competitive game. Go look back at manager pre-conferences, line up selections and in-game substitutions for it's past history. Managers treat it as a semi-competitive game and nothing else

This seems to be the blueprint of beating Bayern. When Madrid beat them at home 1-0 last year, they had the exact same approach as us and the stats are interesting. Ancelotti had the exact same strategy against a Bayern side that weren't exactly superior. He used the pace of Bale and Ronaldo, while using a direct style; the same way Arsenal used Walcott and Alexis. Walcott looked particularly dangerous on the counter, as did Ronaldo in that game. As a result, Walcott had many half chances. Madrid had pretty much exactly the same amount of possession that we had at home and limited Bayern to few opportunities.

Having experienced centre halves helped a lot as Koscielny put in an excellent performance as usual and Mertesacker was our best defender in my opinion. His positional sense was incredible and he saved our arses many times early on. Pepe and Ramos also how having an experienced partnership on the day can make a difference. The way Bayern press causes their defence to be threadbare if you can beat the press and play directly into pacey forwards (such as Walcott).
View attachment 219718

View attachment 219717

Last edited:
This seems to be the blueprint of beating Bayern. When Madrid beat them at home 1-0 last year, they had the exact same approach as us and the stats are interesting. Ancelotti had the exact same strategy against a Bayern side that weren't exactly superior. He used the pace of Bale and Ronaldo, while using a direct style; the same way Arsenal used Walcott and Alexis. Walcott looked particularly dangerous on the counter, as did Ronaldo in that game. As a result, Walcott had many half chances. Madrid had pretty much exactly the same amount of possession that we had at home and limited Bayern to few opportunities.

Having experienced centre halves helped a lot as Koscielny put in an excellent performance as usual and Mertesacker was our best defender in my opinion. His positional sense was incredible and he saved our arses many times early on. Pepe and Ramos also how having an experienced partnership on the day can make a difference. The way Bayern press causes their defence to be threadbare if you can beat the press and play directly into pacey forwards (such as Walcott).
View attachment 965023

View attachment 965024

What you're saying isn't new sherlock...

Any decent team with pacey attackers can beat any guardiola side...

What you're saying isn't new sherlock...

Any decent team with pacey attackers can beat any guardiola side...

It's still a very difficult task. According to Opta, we completed a record number of shots on target (8) against a Guardiola side in Europe. Don't forget that Before we played Bayern, they had a 100% record and the world's most in form player.

The result isn't exactly a shock. You would expect Arsenal to win at home. It redeems the Arsenal **** ups.

Ramsey injured
“He had a scan today but he’s out. I believe he will be out until after the next international break,."

Ramsey injured
“He had a scan today but he’s out. I believe he will be out until after the next international break,."
This gives the Ox the chance to show people what he is made of and gain consistency on the right wing.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Gabriel was magnificent, Ozil was once again showing what a player he is. Not the most convincing win and was really unlucky with the deflected goal but a win nonetheless.

Competition from Theo for Giroud has done him world of good. Really impressive in last few games and hopefully Wenger will stick with him in the cup game.

They literally have no weaknesses.

Neither of them posses Per's reading of the game, but they are still formidable. Great to have three top quality cb's who can all play with each other.

I hope Chambers is given a chance in cup game along with either Per or Koscielny as he's had little game time for now.

Yeah I hope Chambers is given more game time in general.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Chamberlain and Walcott off injured already!!! That's our 9th player out it seems.

What the **** is going on ? Ox and Theo injured in the first 10 min... ****** up!

Theo injured again?! Just when he was getting a run at centre-forward. This man has zero luck

He didn't warm up properly. It's very hard to see us winning this considering our whole midfield barring flamini are academy level.

Back