The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Pure conjecture on my behalf, but I wonder if Wenger's fixing on this being his last season and going all in to go out with another title?

Most unlike him to be spending as freely as this.

Last edited:
Seems that Guardiola set to try and sign Wilshere and Bellerin who is hit top full back target. I say no chance!

Arsenal make £22m Vardy bid | The Times

Yeah they would need to throw bid in crazy money territory for Wenger even to think about it. At the moment every club has lots of money so throwing money at other clubs in Prem isn't working as well anymore and we have the most of all. We also don't have those nasty RC on players other clubs could exploit.

Pure conjecture on my behalf, but I wonder if Wenger fixing on this being his last season and going all in to go out with another title?

Most unlike him to be spending as freely as this.

My thinking as well. He's going out with a bang and people at least want to see resembles in Vardy deal to Fergie signing RVP after technically a 1,5 really good seasons with us.

Xhaka along with Elneny fixes the midfield pretty much and if we get Rodriquez we have probably the best fullbacks in league in Bellerin and him. Add to that new CB and another striker along with Vardy he will have a really strong squad to compete and will leave well balanced, but still quite young squad for his successor.

Vardy medical today. Fee £18mil with 120k p/w wages for 4 years.

Mahrez/Mhiktaryan, Rodriguez/Guerrero, Koulibaly/Benatia/Musacchio and a striker remain still targets for summer.

Giroud also confirmed in the interview after France v Scotland game last night that Vardy is coming. Good to have more solid competition for him along with Welbeck. Always when pushed he has shown that he can be a really good striker.

Good signing not sure it's an improvement on Giroud but defo improvement on Welbeck. Good option to have !

Completely different kind of players and could work really well as 2 in 442 actually. Vardy is signed as Welbeck cover and possibly to replace Walcott as well.

Goal Germany reporting we have lead on signing Mkhiktaryan for 25mil euros from Dortmund who have identified Ricardo Saponara from Empoli as replacement for him.

**** if this along with Rodriguez goes through we've spent £90mil before Euros have even begun and still on lookout for player or two. Truly odd for Arsenal fan.

**** has been busy

View attachment 146757

Completely different kind of players and could work really well as 2 in 442 actually. Vardy is signed as Welbeck cover and possibly to replace Walcott as well.

Don't see how he's either the quality of footballer to play the Arsenal way, or how he fits at all. If he has to go wide to go looking for the ball as there won't be the space in behind at Arsenal he got at Leicester than it's even more of a head scratcher. And if his career pattern is any judge, his goals will tail right off again next year.

You could, and should, be doing a lot better IMHO than just buying the current 'flavour of the month' coming off the career year he just has.

Goal Germany reporting we have lead on signing Mkhiktaryan for 25mil euros from Dortmund who have identified Ricardo Saponara from Empoli as replacement for him.

**** if this along with Rodriguez goes through we've spent £90mil before Euros have even begun and still on lookout for player or two. Truly odd for Arsenal fan.

**** has been busy

View attachment 1057206
Mkhi would be a fantastic signing. Poor Dortmund losing him, Hummels and possibly Abu in the same window.

Don't see how he's either the quality of footballer to play the Arsenal way, or how he fits at all. If he has to go wide to go looking for the ball as there won't be the space in behind at Arsenal he got at Leicester than it's even more of a head scratcher. And if his career pattern is any judge, his goals will tail right off again next year.

You could, and should, be doing a lot better IMHO than just buying the current 'flavour of the month' coming off the career year he just has.

Not many do, but Arsene does and for me it's good enough. While yes he's at his most dangerous at the shoulder he is more than capable to deliver the goods at Arsenal and if we view him as "cover" for Welbeck or replacement for Walcott he is an upgrade. There isn't anymore one "way" Arsenal plays. If I remember right we were actually the second most dangerous team on the break after Leicester last season. Also what frustrates the **** out of most fans about Giroud are his flicks which usually end up with nothing as we have no willing runners in behind. In Vardy we'd have that.

For me trying to look at the pattern and use it here is useless. He hasn't jumped from Premier league to another better league or something. Pretty understandable for conference player to need time to adjust to championship or championship striker to Premier league.

He might not be most effective against likes of WBA and so who have whole squad back to defend their area, but we have other players to deal with that and more so if we get either Mahrez or Mkhiktaryan.

Currently everyone and their granny are looking for a striker and to be able to get established Premier league player of the year mind you to come this early in summer for that fee is good deal. Also Wenger remains on the hunt for a second striker as well so we have to wait and see what happens. I'd love to get striker like PEA or Lewa in, but am more than happy how our transfer window is setting out.

Mkhi would be a fantastic signing. Poor Dortmund losing him, Hummels and possibly Abu in the same window.

Do you think Dortmund would be willing to let him run his contract like Lewa did or would they be tempted to sell? It's not like Bundesliga have any massive tv deals like Prem and every club is flushed with cash like English ones. They also usually have decent recruits lined up and they already got Dembele so I think if they manage to hold on to PEA they will be fine.

Do you think Dortmund would be willing to let him run his contract like Lewa did or would they be tempted to sell? It's not like Bundesliga have any massive tv deals like Prem and every club is flushed with cash like English ones. They also usually have decent recruits lined up and they already got Dembele so I think if they manage to hold on to PEA they will be fine.
Oh I think they will defo sell. Plus Dembele will slot right in.

Vardy rejects a move to Arsenal. Thoughts on this?

As Mike. said probably the best move. I'd preferred if he joined, but there are other good strikers on market and if we get someone one of Morata, Milik, Janssen or other linked players I'd be quite happy.

Interesting also to see who is the other targeted player as Wenger has said he wants 3 players and I think there will be more especially if likes of Gibbs are sold.

Arsenal FC– Verified account ‏@Arsenal

yH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAANAAwAAAILjI+py+0Po5y0ngIAOw==

“Takuma is a talented young striker and very much one for the future."

Back