The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Gabriel picked up an injury vs City so they are running very short of defenders

Unlucky for them but that's football. Went through a two month or so period last year playing the most games of any club in a major European league every 4 days with 4 fit defenders who had to play every game. Not to mention just 1/2 fit forwards and midfield absentees.

Thats football. Next man up.

Mustafi left out of the Valencia squad for today. Looks like me might try to squeeze him through for Liverpool according to the telegraph. Unlikely to make it. Looks like Koscielny will be rushed back.

I hope we get Mustafi asap. With him, we'd have the bes t defensive unit in the league.

Unlucky for them but that's football. Went through a two month or so period last year playing the most games of any club in a major European league every 4 days with 4 fit defenders who had to play every game. Not to mention just 1/2 fit forwards and midfield absentees.

Thats football. Next man up.
Looks like Holding and Chambers it is. Won't probably be able to squeeze Mustafi in by the game despite the deal being close.
Arsenal close to £20m deal for Mustafi | Sport | The Times & The Sunday Times

The Times also say that the Board have handed Wenger a blank cheque for a striker. Aulas now wants £60 Million for Lacazette so would be interesting to see if we pay up, negotiate or simply don't go for him.

The Times also say that the Board have handed Wenger a blank cheque for a striker. Aulas now wants £60 Million for Lacazette so would be interesting to see if we pay up, negotiate or simply don't go for him.

Well paying £60 Million for Lacazette is practically daylight robbery and considering it doesn't look like Lyon wants to negotiate we might as well not go for him.

I rate Chambers a lot higher than Stones as a future England centre half FWTW.

As an Arsenal fan, I think your absolutely wrong here. Chambers has shown no signs that he is comfortable as centre half in recent games AND during last season. Stones on the other hand has shown his potential to be one of the best centre halfs in europe in the next couple of years. The ability is there, but he needs to flourish under a better manager who can tactically improve him especially in defending.

As an Arsenal fan, I think your absolutely wrong here. Chambers has shown no signs that he is comfortable as centre half in recent games AND during last season. Stones on the other hand has shown his potential to be one of the best centre halfs in europe in the next couple of years. The ability is there, but he needs to flourish under a better manager who can tactically improve him especially in defending.

You wouldn't get many Evertonians that would agree with that.

Well paying £60 Million for Lacazette is practically daylight robbery and considering it doesn't look like Lyon wants to negotiate we might as well not go for him.
Aulas is a pain in the ****. I think he'll definitely take less than 60. There are no other options. Looking at the inflation, anything under 50 mill for him represents something of a deal. He's been making a lot of noise for someone that supposedly isn't looking to sell. He's trying to milk every penny from us.

Last edited:
Chambers needs to play. He should be loaned to another prem side. I disagree. He's most comfortable as a centre back. He looks uncomfortable as a right back. But to be fair, lots of fullbacks were ripped by Jefferson Montero.

Auras is a pain in the ****. I think he'll definitely take less than 60. There are no other options. Looking at the inflation, anything under 50 mill for him represents something of a deal.

I doubt Lacazette is the main target here. If he truly has truly backing of the board to go big he is looking at higher calibre of strikers. Can he convince one of those to come is different matter.

At least Mustafi seems pretty close now and we've actually bid 50mil euros for Mahrez now.

You wouldn't get many Evertonians that would agree with that.

You wouldn't because he was rubbish for them. Last season he was being managed by a manager who is tactically inept in defending. I believe if Stones actually stayed at Everton then we would of seen a different player under Koeman since he actually knows how to develop a CB and improve them.

Chambers needs to play. He should be loaned to another prem side. I disagree. He's most comfortable as a centre back. He looks uncomfortable as a right back. But to be fair, lots of fullbacks were ripped by Jefferson Montero.

Yeah he's looked far more convincing as either CB or DM to me then RB. We actually have quite good young CBs in Bielik, Chambers and Holding, but they need more experience somewhere before we can count any of them as our starting CB.

You wouldn't because he was rubbish for them. Last season he was being managed by a manager who is tactically inept in defending. I believe if Stones actually stayed at Everton then we would of seen a different player under Koeman since he actually knows how to develop a CB and improve them.

We'll see. City spent nigh on a £100 million from down the other end the East Lancs road the last two summers and I wouldn't expect much of any return on either.

Exactly, like Barkley he has stagnated because he's been under a manager whose decision making skills are so poor he can't actually coach theirs to be any better. Few are better at coaching decision making than Pep. I'd say he's probably the best in the world at doing that. That is Stones' biggest flaw. Chambers has better decision making, but his all round skill set is a fair way lower.

Correct. Chambers does need to play and a loan would be good for him but in this current crisis I don't think that's possible. IMO I thought he was more comfortable at RB then CB a couple of seasons ago.

Aulas is a pain in the ****. I think he'll definitely take less than 60. There are no other options. Looking at the inflation, anything under 50 mill for him represents something of a deal. He's been making a lot of noise for someone that supposedly isn't looking to sell. He's trying to milk every penny from us.

There are other options but we need a striker that will improve us not someone who only give us something different in attack. I agree they are trying to get a much as they can get from us due to the fact we can financially afford it. I would go nothing about 40M for someone his quality because he isn't as good as people make him out to be.

Bacca would be a good buy for Arsenal I think. Would suit him. He's fairly limited but knows how to hit the net clinically and often.

Bacca would be a good buy for Arsenal I think. Would suit him. He's fairly limited but knows how to hit the net clinically and often.

Yeah much better value in him for 30mil or so than Lacazette for 60mil.

Marc Behrenbeck– Verified account ‏@Sky_Marc

yH5BAEKAAEALAAAAAANAAwAAAILjI+py+0Po5y0ngIAOw==

@SkySportNewsHD Info: Mustafi Deal to @Arsenal nearly done. Player and Club agreed on contract. Final talks w @valenciacf to come.

Back