The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
They lost 5-1, no one gives a **** about them going to applaud the fans. Certainly not the fans themselves

Seriously? Take a step back and think what you just wrote there. Than think if you'd paid your hard earned money to travel out and support the ****** that just walked straight off the pitch without acknowledging your commitment to them how you'd feel.

Seriously? Take a step back and think what you just wrote there. Than think if you'd paid your hard earned money to travel out and support the ****** that just walked straight off the pitch without acknowledging your commitment to them how you'd feel.

However if you flip it and look at it from the players point of view. Why would you go over to get booed and have insults hurled at you at close proximity from your own fans. Especially when you've only gone and been humiliated.

However if you flip it and look at it from the players point of view. Why would you go over to get booed and have insults hurled at you at close proximity from your own fans. Especially when you've only gone and been humiliated.

Irrespective of how you feel or the result mate. You acknowledge the fans support and commitment regardless. That should be a given at any level.

Irrespective of how you feel or the result mate. You acknowledge the fans support and commitment regardless. That should be a given at any level.

I understand but the fans have been toxic beyond repair now. The arsenals fans would have probably have gone how dare they come over after that perfomance. Lose lose for the players.

Ironically talking about this I've just now watched this looking at Arsenal fans reactions in Munich. This is wholly NSFW, and is expletive emotion filled right through as you can well imagine, but the lad the start and the end (around 3 minutes in) on about the above completely feel it. This is no slight on anyone here as everyone has different circumstances but if you were a match going supporter making the same sacrifices and commitment you'd completely understand it too:

[video=youtube;ps97etOjV_k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps97etOjV_k[/video]

Last edited:
If I was a player who had just lost 5-1 I would just want to get into the locker room and out of the stadium as soon as possible, last thing I would want to do is stay on the pitch for any extra amount of time

They lost 5-1, no one gives a **** about them going to applaud the fans. Certainly not the fans themselves

They already performed really, really bad and humiliated themselves. The least they could do is go to fans stand and apologize for such horrendous performance.

How the **** at first half we can hold up to 1-1, and shipped 4 goals at 2nd half?

Totally, totally horrible!

Scouse you really think the fans are going to go "oh well they came over and clapped us, thats good?"

I know football fan support have thin skins but maulings happen.

I've been to games where United have been shredded. Walking over doesn't mean anything to me.

Unsurprisingly, the talk isn't about the players going over right now.

Last night was a complete and utter shambles. No fight, no guts, no clue. Don't even know where to begin.

Ospina made a few crucial saves and if it weren't for him it could easily have been 8 or 9 I genuinely believe. Don't really understand the need for the 'cup goalkeeper' thing but Cech's been a liability recently. Poor finishing on Bayern's behalf kept the scoreline down at half time, otherwise the whole tie could have been decided in the first 45 minutes. After the break and after Koscielny went off injured we just imploded. It seems Mustafi can't defend without Koscielny by his side.

This has to be Wenger's last season. The board won't sack him so he needs to do the right thing and step down and give the fans their club back. The man is a legend and what he's done for the club and for football all over the world is awesome, but football has changed and he's stuck in his ways.

Scouse you really think the fans are going to go "oh well they came over and clapped us, thats good?"

I know football fan support have thin skins but maulings happen.

I've been to games where United have been shredded. Walking over doesn't mean anything to me.

Unsurprisingly, the talk isn't about the players going over right now.

NSFW:

https://audioboom.com/posts/5200201-uws-podcast-194-chelsea-away?t=0

Now I know everyone views things differently, which is sound, but when you're home from work later take some time to listen to your regular away support after the Chelsea 4 hiding back in October. From around the 33:20 mark through the last 15 minutes. (Particularly back on the bus from around 43 minutes in.). A lot of the talk is about how not one of the Utd players went over to acknowledge the support regardless of how utter garbage Utd had been on the pitch. A lot of the Arsenal videos on their fan channel from out in Munich made a point of mentioning it last night.

To me, it's part of your responsibility as a footballer to at the very least acknowledge my commitment to pay my hard earned money (along with all the other sacrifices people make to travel to go to a game) to watch and support you. EVERY game. REGARDLESS of the result. I might hate you at that particular moment after a 5-1 doing. You might want to dive straight off the pitch and hide in embarrassment in the changies. But the very LEAST you can do is acknowledge the efforts I and everyone else has made to come out and see you. No less last night than in another frigging Country! You don't, and it just compounds the embarrassment and shows you don't give a flying F about the support. And if you don't give a flying F about the support, then I'm sure as **** thinking you don't give a flying F about playing for my club.

It might seem a small and inconsequential gesture in the grand scheme of things. Particularly after a heavy defeat and a highly embarrassing one at that. And if it doesn't mean anything to you thats fine. Everyones different. But it DOES matter to a lot of other fans.

IMHO it should be the very least you can do as a player and were I a manager of whatever team I'd sure as heck make sure my players realised the responsibility they had to the fans. EVERY game. Without whom they'd have no frigging job to start with. It doesn't take much and too many footballers today are sadly so far removed from normal reality the way the games gone they forget what the game is all about.

Last edited:
Where's Damola to tell us all that Ozil eptimoises everything good about Arsenal and plays brilliantly in big games by being in the 'right position' but actually doing **** all?

Where's Damola to tell us all that Ozil eptimoises everything good about Arsenal and plays brilliantly in big games by being in the 'right position' but actually doing **** all?

Never gotten the hype round him. Supremely talented but WAY too inconsistent. The preverbal 'luxury' player who's not going to support and help the team much of anything outside of doing his own thing. Like you say, disappears WAY too often in the big games when you need you're big players to step up. ToD keeps narking at Arsenal fans they're gonna' lose him and Sanchez. If I'm an Arsenal fan, I wouldn't be at all arsed about cashing in on Ozil personally.

Same watching the PSG game Tuesday and Draxler. He's exactly out of the same mould. Yeah, he scored and all and is technically superb. But compared to the other 9 outfield players, his application was sorely lacking. That was one of the strangest moves L'pool tried to make in January for me. We matched the price on his head but PSG did us on wages. Klopp obviously knows WAY more about football and what he requires than I ever will, but Draxler just seems the most un-Klopp like player I could think of to go for in that position.

Last edited:
The clapping thing is just good form really. It's not going to make the fans feel any better, but not doing it is an extra slight for really very little reason. Sure you're disappointed but you were on the pitch, not them. They had no control over you getting thrashed once again, but they've travelled all that way to see you, you can put your feelings aside for 30 seconds to go and show your support for them. As **** as we were last season, most of the players understood that fans don't ask for a lot.

To expand on that a little, I've been to a fair few fuckups at The Bridge and even when we lose, the players will come over and clap. JT, Lamps without fail every time and at least in every one I've been to pretty much everyone would come, though I can't speak for some games last year. The mood was always ****, but there is a crucial moment of solace there, they come over and you could feel their pain at losing, it would be etched on their faces. Didn't make it any better, but it gives you a link to the players on the pitch.

Now, I haven't been to the Emirates in the Arsenal end in years but I can't imagine things are better so I'm going to say it's still relevant. I watched them get beaten 3-1 by Villa on the opening day back in 13/14 and even then, it was a smattering that came over. Most looked shocked and dejected, and wandered off the pitch, to some boos I might add. The fans were furious in general, and there was a disconnect there and it took Wenger coming out after the match to say sorry to smooth it over iirc. It's such a small thing, but it is appreciated. Even at Arsenal, where you sure as **** aren't going to be accepting the apology and the excuses any more, the fact that they at least tried to console you is worth something. There is such an obvious disconnect between the fans and the club in general at the moment, that these tiny things must seem more significant to them. I imagine Scouse is more sensitive to it too because as duff as Liverpool have been at times, you could always tell that they cared about the fans and hated letting them down.

Last edited:
..... I imagine Scouse is more sensitive to it too because as duff as Liverpool have been at times, you could always tell that they cared about the fans and hated letting them down.

This isn't the thread and branches off on a whole other, if related, tangent, but it brings to mind Shankly's 'Holy Trinity' ..... Fans, players, manager.

Nothing else matters. Together as one you're unstoppable.

Sadly too many players today seriously need reminding just who they play for and just how important that support is.

Last edited:
I'm with Scouse one this one. Players feel bad after devastating defeat? Guess what, I also sometimes have a bad day, but I still show up to work, because that's what you do when you're an adult. U-15 players can be excused for being so depressed after a loss that they forget to thank the support. First team players are grown men, they have responsibilities and "feeling a little bit down after the game" is not an excuse.

But of course current generation of players is mostly made of self-important manchildren, so that's what happens.

Last edited:
I'm with Scouse one this one. Players feel bad after devastating defeat? Guess what, I also sometimes have a bad day, but I still show up to work, because that's what you do when you're an adult. U-15 players can be excused for being so depressed after a loss that they forget to thank the support. First team players are grown men, they have responsibilities and "feeling a little bit down after the game" is not an excuse.

But of course current generation of players is mostly made of self-important manchildren, so that's what happens.

Which is where I actually agree with some criticism of Arsenal's passion. Not PASHUN, getting down and dirty and being proper hard like, but genuinely giving your all for the club and playing the badge and not just for yourself. Who in the first team has that love for Arsenal and for the fans? Even their most dedicated player is stalling his contract.

have to say much love to arsenal fantv keep doing what you are doing you get me blood #wengerin

Back