The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Ok. Marker thrown down by Arsenal.

Over to the other 5. Wins and goals> settling for draws this year. Do that you're liable to get left behind. Fixing to be a terrific pace again.

Yeah last season also was a good pointer when looking at other top teams vs Chelsea who drew I think fewer games than they lost-

Gotta agree. I wasn't really watching many games the past 2 seasons, partially because I didn't have as much time, but also because everything around the club has became so stale. Same playstyle, same mistakes every year. You could easily predict how CL is going to go - matches against weaker opponents are gonna be lost, that is going to result in a 2nd place in groups, tough opponent in first knockout round, terrible play in the first leg, improved performance in the 2nd but not enough to go through.

That is pretty much has most of the last 5-6 CL campaigns went.

Switch to a different formation and Lacazette's signing got me atleast a bit excited about the club again, and first game confirms it.

Re: CB's - I am not worried about this position really. There are 4 CB's (Gabriel, Kos, Mustafi, Mertesacker) ahead in the pecking order compared to who was on the field tonight (bar Kolasinac I guess, I am not sure where is he going to play, in Schalke he used to play LWB/LM when they played with 3 at the back). 4 CB's were signed in the last 3 seasons - Mustafi, Holding, Gabriel, Chambers. If anything this position needs an overhaul, decide who sign and who to sell, but not just keep signing CB's.

Yeah last season also was a good pointer when looking at other top teams vs Chelsea who drew I think fewer games than they lost-

True, but there was far more to Chelsea than just goals. Infact they were based far more on a solid defence. When you gave them that early drubbing last season and they transitioned to the 3-4-3 after that as they wanted that protection at the back that they were so vulnerable from counter-attacks.

At the end of the day, I always stick with this ethos, that any title winning team is built on a solid defence.

Goals might win you matches, but defence wins you titles - SAF (rough qoute, I think it's true though).

Gotta agree. I wasn't really watching many games the past 2 seasons, partially because I didn't have as much time, but also because everything around the club has became so stale. Same playstyle, same mistakes every year. You could easily predict how CL is going to go - matches against weaker opponents are gonna be lost, that is going to result in a 2nd place in groups, tough opponent in first knockout round, terrible play in the first leg, improved performance in the 2nd but not enough to go through.

That is pretty much has most of the last 5-6 CL campaigns went.

Switch to a different formation and Lacazette's signing got me atleast a bit excited about the club again, and first game confirms it.

Re: CB's - I am not worried about this position really. There are 4 CB's (Gabriel, Kos, Mustafi, Mertesacker) ahead in the pecking order compared to who was on the field tonight (bar Kolasinac I guess, I am not sure where is he going to play, in Schalke he used to play LWB/LM when they played with 3 at the back). 4 CB's were signed in the last 3 seasons - Mustafi, Holding, Gabriel, Chambers. If anything this position needs an overhaul, decide who sign and who to sell, but not just keep signing CB's.

Except last CL campaign Arsenal managed to come first in the group and still draw Bayern.

I think the players starting in as CB's this season will be Monreal, Mustafi and Koscielny when all three are fit. There will be heavy rotation especially for Europa League games where Mertesacker and Holding will start. There is interest in Gabriel from Valencia and I think we should sell him and try to sign van Dijk. We have advantage on this as Wenger has already had talks with Dijk last Spring about a move, but it didn't go further due to Wenger not yet agreeing a new deal and also that Southampton are interested in bringing Chambers back. Kolasinac should definately be a starter as the LWB and Ox as RWB as he is much better in that position than Bellerin is at this moment.

Valencia rumored to be about to announce the signing of Gabriel Paulista from Arsenal.

Why the f would you be getting rid of a CB???

We have Koscielny, Mustafi, Mertesacker, Holding, Chambers, Monreal will play there and also Bielik who could be ready to step up if he isn't loaned out.

We have Koscielny, Mustafi, Mertesacker, Holding, Chambers, Monreal will play there and also Bielik who could be ready to step up if he isn't loaned out.

Gabriel was one of your better CB's last season and I thought he was good at times. Just seems very odd that in an area you are weak in, that you are letting one of your better players there from last season go.

Koscielny injury prone, Mertesacker can't play every game now, Mustafi doesn't seem to have Wenger's full trust. Monreal can do a job there sure but wouldn't say he's natural there. Holding and Chambers two players who are still relatively unproven.

I think it's a very odd move, Gabriel and Koscielny is your strongest partnership.

Sure you have options there, but they aren't good enough if you want to be considered a title challenger this season. You need to invest in a CB for me, that was even before this Gabriel potential departure.

Gabriel was one of your better CB's last season and I thought he was good at times. Just seems very odd that in an area you are weak in, that you are letting one of your better players there from last season go.

Koscielny injury prone, Mertesacker can't play every game now, Mustafi doesn't seem to have Wenger's full trust. Monreal can do a job there sure but wouldn't say he's natural there. Holding and Chambers two players who are still relatively unproven.

I think it's a very odd move, Gabriel and Koscielny is your strongest partnership.

Sure you have options there, but they aren't good enough if you want to be considered a title challenger this season. You need to invest in a CB for me, that was even before this Gabriel potential departure.

No he wasn't. You are really mixing up Mustafi and Gabriel. Until I think January or so we played mainly Koscielny and Mustafi as partnership and they were really solid. Gabriel was good when played as the right sided CB in the back three, but is injured at the moment.

Have to wait and see what happens. Might be that club is looking at another CB who knows.

No he wasn't. You are really mixing up Mustafi and Gabriel. Until I think January or so we played mainly Koscielny and Mustafi as partnership and they were really solid. Gabriel was good when played as the right sided CB in the back three, but is injured at the moment.

Have to wait and see what happens. Might be that club is looking at another CB who knows.

I know Mustafi started off as your prime CB along with Koscielny. But as the season went on I think he got less favoured and Gabriel was used more. I remember Mustafi making some costly errors last season, especially as the season went on.

I know Mustafi started off as your prime CB along with Koscielny. But as the season went on I think he got less favoured and Gabriel was used more. I remember Mustafi making some costly errors last season, especially as the season went on.
Mustafi basically had season of two halves. First half of season I think we didn't lose a game with him playing or something like that, but then he got injured if I recall and lost his place and his confidence due to it. He is still way ahead Gabriel in the team. Personally I hope we sign a CB just so that Kolasinac can play as the wing back and not centreback.

Wow Merson on SKY: " Arsenal should have signed Gareth Barry "

Really? Gareth ******* Barry.

It's becoming more and more apparent every time he opens his deluded grid that everything that's gone up his nose over the years has seriously f-ed with his brain.

It's becoming more and more apparent every time he opens his deluded grid that everything that's gone up his nose over the years has seriously f-ed with his brain.

Don't know why, but he always reminds me of the Obelix from the Asterix and Obelix cartoons. Maybe it's the nose.

Finished 1-0? Excellent.

Great chance to send Arsenal into the International break off the back of two straight defeats now next Sunday afternoon.

You badly need a good DM tbf, Matic would of been perfect for you.

Honestly, Wenger is just weird.. playing people in wrong positions... even in defence... a LB (Monreal) as CB, Bellerin as a LWB even though he's a RB.... it's endless the amount of makeshifting he's weirdly doing. He takes a natural CB in Holding out of the squad completely and has Mertesacker on the bench.

All in all, you're in bad need for investment in the right areas and a new manager.. Wenger is making such basic errors and needless decisions.

Back