The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Do you guys reckon Ox will be sold to Chelsea? Can see Arsenal holding firm on Alexis but would be harder to justify missing out on the fee for someone like Ox if he were to run down his contract as expected.

God what a ***** Europa draw.

Cologne's boss like but Belarus and Belgrade? Ugh. May God go with any Arsenal fans planning on Red Star. I seriously think I'd swerve that. There comes a point where you think is it worth it against your own personal safety. Belgrade for the footie would be that point.

Wenger be as naive and fool hardy as young Mr Nagelsmann yer think Sunday to play three at the back, compounded by Chamberlain and Monreal pushed on; leaving the space in behind among that hodge-podge, out-of-position back 3 for these rapid Reds to exploit?

Surely you'll revert back to a deeper 4? He can't be that silly to set himself up for yet another Anfield walloping, could he?

Like when you said this about Chelsea last season, my answer is the same - I don't see why they should change. I would however, have Bellerin & Kolasinac at FB's if possible, much more defensively savvy.

Like when you said this about Chelsea last season, my answer is the same - I don't see why they should change. I would however, have Bellerin & Kolasinac at FB's if possible, much more defensively savvy.

I might be wrong but weren't L'pool the only side to go undefeated against Chelsea last year? Being a poor refereeing decision away from winning both games?

And now there's even more pace to that attack. This Arsenal defence/ team isn't nearly as tight as Chelsea's. And plays a lot higher line.

They're liable to get ripped to shreds if they play the way they've set out the season.

Last edited:
I might be wrong but weren't L'pool the only side to go undefeated against Chelsea last year? Being a poor refereeing decision away from winning both games?

And now there's even more pace to that attack. This Arsenal defence/ team isn't nearly as tight as Chelsea's. And plays a lot higher line.

They're liable to get ripped to shreds if they play the way they've set out the season.

Lot depends on how Wenger set's up the team. Good thing is that Koscielny is back from suspension which is a game changer for entire defence.

It will be interesting at least thats for sure.

You also said this about Chelsea if they used 3atb at Anfield, they were a penalty kick away from getting all 3 points (a pen or not) :P

You give 3atb too much credit as some sort of offensive/expansive system, it quickly becomes 5atb with the right WB's. I'd say 3 CB's, Xhaka in front, with WB's like Bellerin/Kol - it's a lot more savvy than you think.

Same could be said for your high defensive line btw.

For what its worth, the game you beat us was also before we switched to the 3-5-2 and still had Ivanovic in the line-up if I am not mistaken.

For what its worth, the game you beat us was also before we switched to the 3-5-2 and still had Ivanovic in the line-up if I am not mistaken.

Yep, said it even before you beat us 4-0, wish we had have got you before the tweak.

You also said this about Chelsea if they used 3atb at Anfield, they were a penalty kick away from getting all 3 points (a pen or not) :P

You give 3atb too much credit as some sort of offensive/expansive system, it quickly becomes 5atb with the right WB's. I'd say 3 CB's, Xhaka in front, with WB's like Bellerin/Kol - it's a lot more savvy than you think.

Same could be said for your high defensive line btw.

Or a free kick from Luiz that never was from losing both games. Small margins.

I don't think you realise just how open and a mess Arsenal have set out the season at the back. They've left as much space in behind as Hoffenheim foolishly (or arrogantly given their mouthing off leading up the second leg) did both European games.

They want to do that against Mané and Salah ..... All the best to them.

I know. He's just being a little naughty using a conversation from before Christmas and extrapolating it to the terrible, injury hit run we were in the NY the second game and missing the point Arsenal's defensive set-up is a million miles away from the system Conte plays.

Last edited:
With Hoffenheim, it was just a case of what you always preach about Klopp; he believes in what he does too much to change.

Wenger isn't quite so hipster. I'd imagine he has a bit of cop on to push the 3 CB's back an extra 5-10 yards or/and play with defensively savvy FB's.

With Hoffenheim, it was just a case of what you always preach about Klopp; he believes in what he does too much to change.

No. You keep your playing style. That's sound and the way it should be. But when you've been done the home leg, tweak the formation within that to not make the same, stupid mistake.

BTW man, as desperate as you are to pad out the squad and get more of an English core, there's surely nottin' in these Barkley rumours is there?

There is serious interest. I am as skeptical as you are but at £25m, it won't be a big mistake to make if it does not work out. The upside more than worth it.

Been working almost 80 hour work weeks for last couple of weeks and had really no time to keep tabs on transfer market and so on and now that I'm trying I'm seeing Mustafi might be sold to Inter and so on...

This transfer window looks like a same old same old for Arsenal. Couple good additions, but again not enough.

I thought you were short in defence before you sold Gabriel... then this Mustafi thing... unreal if that happens. Surely you can only sell Mustafi if you have someone coming in? It's bonkers if you let them oth go and have no one to come in.

Been working almost 80 hour work weeks for last couple of weeks and had really no time to keep tabs on transfer market and so on and now that I'm trying I'm seeing Mustafi might be sold to Inter and so on...

This transfer window looks like a same old same old for Arsenal. Couple good additions, but again not enough.

80 HR weeks? Without knowing the circumstances, that's beyond mad. Think of your health mate. Don't run yourself in the ground for them. No jobs worth that.

Moving on .....

Talking transfers, if you want to leave Oxlade-Chamberlain behind in L'pool Sunday that'd be great ta. :D

Back