The Art of the Counter Attack – A Look at Slomka’s Efficient Hannover Side

Raikan007

Reaction score

The Art of the Counter Attack

After a member asked me to please recreate this tactic yesterday I decided that for the foreseeable future I will try and recreate certain tactics that are used in today's world of football using the teams these managers are currently managing!

This will be a discussion/tactic/request thread! I will be using the same tactic in every game for 1 season, my manager's experience will always be as Professional as well to have a decent impact on players from day one!

I am not going to rewrite the article above, however, Slomka took a devastated Hannover 96 team from the brink of relegation a few years ago to one of Germany's top teams in the space of just over a year or so!

Hannover were leaking goals and could not really score either, until Slomka came in (even though he lost his first 6 games I think it was) and implemented his Counter Attacking: Break on the Counter and since then has established Hannover as one of the best teams in Germany a few season ago! The past two season however have not been their greatest though!

The basis of this tactic is that the central defender passes the ball to the deeper playmaker who then looks up and passes it either to the fullbacks outwide, to the other playmaker who pushes forward to the middle of the park and then down the flanks or through the centre, this takes 3/4 passes, however, FM is not allowing such quick swift passing (nor do the players either)

My aim is to get the ball up in 5 or so (the less the better but at the moment its sitting around the 5/6 mark in my first game which I am leading 1:0 away from home against Austria Wiena in a friendly...

Final tactic & formation:

View attachment 328472

shouts:

get ball forward
exploit flanks
clear ball to flanks (when away from home)
run at defence

Final update season & tactic:

View attachment 328471View attachment 328468View attachment 328465View attachment 328469View attachment 328466View attachment 328470View attachment 328467

A very good 3rd place finish for Hannover 96 which saw them get to the 2nd knockout phase of the Euro's after beating Lyon in the 1st stage eventually falling to Inter Milan!

Quarter Finals of the DFB Pokal where it needed extra time and penalties for Bayern Munich to win the match!

All in all a very sound season especially Hannover were predicted to finish 9th in the league!

The defending was a let down, especially the errors from the keeper as well and defending set pieces!

Best players:

View attachment 328464View attachment 328461View attachment 328462View attachment 328463

DOWNLOAD TACTIC

Last edited:
2010/2011 German Bundesliga Table

right_arrow.gif
Hannover 9634193124945121432177281728460

Last edited:

Hannover+96+Hannover96.png

PRE-SEASON

Formation and approach version 2:
UPDATED!
4th April 2013

View attachment 326636

I dropped the second striker as a DLF does not suit the approach as you will see Konan/Schaldrauff always drop deeper than the other striker to assist in linking up the play! The IF position is perfect for this.

I have set the AMCL to playmaker so that players try and get the ball to him ASAP to turn and run at defenders while having the options of passing it outwide (shouts) and the ST as the focal point of attacks playing him in behind the defence or in front so he can take on defenders!

the two deepers DM's are performing really well as you can see from some of the passing (key passes) in the latter games and assist in providing a good screen in front of the defence!

The DML pushes a little further in front of the DM to allow a passing option then he passes it to the playmaker!
I have set width to narrow as the team defend narrowly, however, on attack the shout (exploit flanks) makes the players pass the ball outwide!

At the moment I am using the following shouts:
Updated!

View attachment 326637

Austria Wienna vs Hannover 96

Friendly

Result:

1:0 Hannover 96

View attachment 326215View attachment 326216View attachment 326217

This was the first game I used the tactic in, it was a sparring match more than anything else, I made over 2 dozen changes to the original tactic as I watched the game in full!

Some shots were a little far out but the tactic is not even 1/8th fluid!

St Gallen vs Hannover 96
Friendly

Result:

4:3 St Gallen

View attachment 326220View attachment 326221View attachment 326222

2 mistakes from my defenders and a shot from 20 yards out which my keeper stood and watched go past his hands! great day at the office! not!

a positive note was the actual counter attacking and speed the team showed when on the break, great play between Ya Konan and Abdoulloue as in real life was great to see!

I have seen a lot of misplaced passing and errors in this game! keeper passing it straight past the defender to the opposition, straight out of play and many other things! lets hope it changes!

USING NEW TACTIC V2 POSTED ABOVE

Hannover 96 vs Beilefeld

Friendly

Result:

2:0 Hannover 96

View attachment 326640View attachment 326638View attachment 326639

This was a good game, the tactic is starting to take shape! I switched to attacking from the first 10 minutes onwards as I noticed we were sitting a little deep and we had the better team!

Kayserispor vs Hannover 96
Friendly

Result:

View attachment 326643View attachment 326641View attachment 326642

This was a very good game, the perfect example of counter attacking at its finest, despite a few injuries! 2 ccc's in open play and hit the woodwork twice!

47% possession which is what I am aiming for (less possession) as this is what Slomka allows in real life!

Good game and good result!

FC Gueugnon vs Hannover 96
Friendly

Result:

7:0 Hannover 96

View attachment 326646View attachment 326644View attachment 326645

Much easier opposition so the result is not a fair indication! but still, 7 goals is pretty decent!

Last edited:
COMPETITIVE GAMES
Hannover 96

View attachment 327003

Hannover 96 vs Rach Chorzow
Europa League

Result:

View attachment 327000View attachment 327001View attachment 327002

Dominated this game from start to finish! The tactic seems to actually control the game when up against weaker opponents, especially at home!

View attachment 327004

This SS was from one of the counter's I had in the game, you can see that the midfielder has several passing options in the final third which is quite pleasing!

Rach Chorzowvs Hannover 96
Europa League

Result:

1:0 Rach Chorzow

View attachment 327000

This was not a good game even though I did create a ccc the team were not up to speed on the day!

Hannover 96 vs Arsenal Kiev
Europa League

Result:

5:0 Hannover 96

View attachment 327015

This was a brilliant game to watch! lovely flowing, quick football! exactly what I want the tactic to look like at the end of the day! Wonderful countering (even though at home) we created several good chances and finally finished off some of the moves!

Return leg:

2:1 Hannover 96

View attachment 327011View attachment 327012View attachment 327013

Another good game, tactic still not even 55% fluid yet! Kalaba and Konan had 9 key passes between the two of them which is pretty incredible!

Werder Bremen vs Hannover 96
Bundesliga

Result:

1:1

View attachment 327009View attachment 327010

This was a frustrating game! Zieler made a huge mistake from a corner, coming out and missing the ball completely allowing Werder to pass the ball into a pretty open net! He had a 5.6 rating in the game!

I created 3 ccc's and hit the woodwork twice which was even more frustrating! we should have won the game comfortably!

Counter attacking implementation video:

This video shows how quick some of the counters can be! the cross unfortunately was not the greatest as my wingers are not the best in the world! See how many players push forward quickly in support?

[video=youtube;mbK2RqPfkKM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbK2RqPfkKM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:
Read that review a while back, tried to implement it in game.
Epically failed.
Good luck.

TC, i always use that to build a base from then change it to classic to refine things.
I've never been a counter tactic guy, I made tactics in the past where players were positioned well to counter attack after winning second balls or breaking out from a failed opposition attack but never actually used the counter strategy.

I went for 442, deep cms slightly offset mentalities so they wernt totally inline, one slightly deeper.
Stand off approach.
Direct passing.
Think I had a poacher and TM.

Theres a picture in the review bout half way down, under bold writing "How Hannover employ the counter attack" a 442 with arrows, that was what i was going for but as I said it didn't work as I'd hoped, could have been because I was Maidenhead but most likely I just got it wrong.

Hows it coming along?

this is an incredibly tough challenge, i would be happy to be a tester for you if you need. Good luck :)

only played 1 friendly, busy at work this week!

beat Austria Wienna 1:0 away from home, check post #2 in about 15 minutes :)

yeah, I did the same sort of thing as you did! however, I have also made a 2nd one with a unorthodox formation that actually really did well in the last 20 minutes.. so testing both and also converted the normal one to classic..

Like the look of this. I'm currently looking at creating tactics from the past. Catenaccio at the moment. Testing with Everton, first game 1-0 vs QPR!

Like the look of this. I'm currently looking at creating tactics from the past. Catenaccio at the moment. Testing with Everton, first game 1-0 vs QPR!

I'll play my Brazil 1970 tactic against your Catenaccio - we can replay the 1970 World Cup Final :)

Cheers for making the tactic, much appreciated, but when countering Slomka always liked the players to be in a good position, so the players could pass directly to feet, but instead you have pass into space.

I will use the Slomka tactics that I've created with Hannover and post on this thread the results and see the similarities and differences

Cheers for making the tactic, much appreciated, but when countering Slomka always liked the players to be in a good position, so the players could pass directly to feet, but instead you have pass into space.

I will use the Slomka tactics that I've created with Hannover and post on this thread the results and see the similarities and differences

1) that was my first & second game using it, I have not much knowledge of him at all as I don't support Hannover nor any german team (however, I do love and watch the Bundesliga) so I am still in the conceptual stages of development :)

2) would be glad to see that, what season are you in though?

any other tips?

been in meetings all day! will continue tomorrow! have only played the 2 games today :)

feel free to please give tips/links etc as I have not found much at all :) cheers

1) that was my first & second game using it, I have not much knowledge of him at all as I don't support Hannover nor any german team (however, I do love and watch the Bundesliga) so I am still in the conceptual stages of development :)

2) would be glad to see that, what season are you in though?

any other tips?

Im in my third season with pescara, using the tactic that i made, and im doing good, 1st in the league, with an average squad but i will make a new save with hannover soon (busy with college work) and see how it goes, then post the results up here