The Aston Villa Thread

was no question when i was picking my team who would be my #1 as when Given is the no1 expect MEGA Points :D

Mine too, now. :p Just moved him in for Jaaskelainen.

Cheeky. I've got Hart and Al-Habsi on the bench (thank God!)

In my H2H team I've got Friedel, though.. One of the most experienced and consistent GKs in the PL (scrap that - PL history)

Cheeky. I've got Hart and Al-Habsi on the bench (thank God!)

In my H2H team I've got Friedel, though.. One of the most experienced and consistent GKs in the PL (scrap that - PL history)

I hope you saw dear Brad's pre-season. ;)

Oooft, how's that for a save on MotD? Twice.

my wingers are villa boys so i am expected great crosses to the forwards and maybe the odd goal ;)

OptaJoe on Twitter: "8 - Emile Heskey has now scored more Premier League goals against Blackburn Rovers than any other club. Prolific

OptaJoe on Twitter: "8 - Emile Heskey has now scored more Premier League goals against Blackburn Rovers than any other club. Prolific

Godcubed zoooooooooooooommmed you epically on matchday thread lol

Now that things are actually getting interesting again, time to bump this baby and do a round-up. The squad's getting smalllerrrrrr:

With Andy Weimann (basically a smaller, more Austrian, harder working and slightly slower Bent) off to Watford on loan again, one would assume the four senior strikers we have (Bent, Agbonlahor, Heskey, The Fonzenator, in that order) will suffice for now. I assume if two of them get injured or if Heskey falls over too much we'll recall Weimann.

Luke Young off to QPR. Conflicting emotions: sad to see him go, because he's a wonderful pro and a very solid full-back. On the other hand, he's ageing and he deserves a chance at a team that will give him a guaranteed starting spot. General consensus seems to be from Villa fans that Eric Lichaj and his mammoth throws of d00m will step up against Wolves this weekend, before being replaced by Carlos Cuellar when the latter is back from injury. If anyone mentions Habib Beye as a possible RB starter I will cry.

As for incoming transfers, it's very interesting. Though McLeish explicitly said his work was done, the pending departure of Young may mean he could invest. Some argue it's obviously going to be a RB replacement, and even more obviously that replacement will be Alan Hutton, but others doubt that. It could be argued we have good depth in the RB position and would replace Young with a player of another position: probably a midfielder.

Habib Beye will have Jarvis in his pocket.

So what in's our we expecting in the coming days?

Dunno! Now that Makoun's left on loan (which truly baffles me sideways) we're short in midfield: off the top of my head, we've got Delph, Petrov and Bannan as the senior players who can play deep in our 4-2-3-1. We've got young players who can go there too, like Gardner and possibly Chris Herd, but we don't want to rely on them. Ireland's there too, but he's not exactly effective deep. Thus, if we to strengthen we'd need it to be in deep midfield (attacking midfield is fine, we have Ireland, Bannan and the genius attacking killer awesomeness of Emile Heskey).

I guess the question is: Owen Hargreaves?

So.... what is the point of loaning Makoun out? He's only been there for half a season!

Dunno! Now that Makoun's left on loan (which truly baffles me sideways) we're short in midfield: off the top of my head, we've got Delph, Petrov and Bannan as the senior players who can play deep in our 4-2-3-1. We've got young players who can go there too, like Gardner and possibly Chris Herd, but we don't want to rely on them. Ireland's there too, but he's not exactly effective deep. Thus, if we to strengthen we'd need it to be in deep midfield (attacking midfield is fine, we have Ireland, Bannan and the genius attacking killer awesomeness of Emile Heskey).

I guess the question is: Owen Hargreaves?

JENAS?!?! LOLWUT

Who I think:- Owen Hargreaves, Alan Hutton +1 Championship standard player.

Who I want:- Salomon Kalou, Yossi Benayoun, Anthony Annan.

I can dream.

Dunno! Now that Makoun's left on loan (which truly baffles me sideways) we're short in midfield:

Shame really. GodCubed was on about how Villa have got Champions league quality player for around 5 Million :p

Seriously though, this doesn't make any sense.