The Aston Villa Thread

I still want to know what is going on in McLeish's head if he thinks Jenas>Makoun. Life hurts sometimes.
Happy with Hutton though, always felt he was slightly underrated until he had a few great games last season and finally people started to take notice of him.
I've never heard of Enda Stevens, anyone know what he's like?

Tell me about it, Makoun>>>Jenas. Not happy with that.
Hutton I'm pretty pleased with, but I feel bad for Herd after that MotM performance recently at right back. Poor bloke. Still, never mind.
Enda Stevens is a 'one for the future', as they say. Don't know too much about him but he's meant to be pretty quick and good in the air, can fill in at CB too.

A little analysis of the Everton-Villa game: Everton 2-2 Aston Villa: Agbonlahor rescues point « Dots&Crosses

Seen this on STVSports twitter,

GC: Barry Bannan growing in confidence and belief. Up to senior Scotland players to keep him grounded.

GC: Players have to help Bannan along but he has bags of ability.

I could have sworn GodCubed got a interview with them \o/
But it turns out that it is infact the wise words of Gary Caldwell.

Seen this on STVSports twitter,

GC: Barry Bannan growing in confidence and belief. Up to senior Scotland players to keep him grounded.

GC: Players have to help Bannan along but he has bags of ability.

I could have sworn GodCubed got a interview with them \o/
But it turns out that it is infact the wise words of Gary Caldwell.

Good to see Caldwell's recovered from the new **** Gabby tore him on the weekend. ;)

Intresting fact from Fifa 12 i didn't know. Alan Smith was a boyhood vila fan. :)

Yep, can Scotland please **** off and not injure Bannan, kthx.

[video=youtube;0McFPYTCnXI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0McFPYTCnXI[/video]

I'd say our best 11, if all fit and ready to play.

Given
Hutton, Dunne, Collins, Warnock.
Petrov + Jenas holding and deep lying.
Agbonlahor, Bannan, N'Zogbia
Bent

However, if Ireland ever gets back to the form he showed in the brief spell he played for City, then we are on to a winner. He is a quality player, lacking form, if so, maybe Ireland in for Bannan, Jenas is another odd pick, however he has the class to win games, and he can pick a pass, Delph has been disappointing but he will become the finished article within the next few years in my opinion. A new centre half is required desperately as Ciaran Clark is not quite ready. So let's hope in January, that rich yank dips into his pocket for McCleish and signs in some quality rather than the usual Villa-syndrome of not buying in desperate situations and selling all of our best players.

I am against McCleish entirely, the way he came to our club was highly disrespectful however am also a firm believer that everyone deserves a chance, and half a season, or one season is NOT enough time for a manager to make a real impact as he is still playing with MON, Houllier's squad. If he is to get anywhere, get Makoun back, and sign in a few of his own players, then and only then should be judge the Scot.

They'll earn 50% more than they did with Nike. Not a bad deal at all, considering their performances haven't been as good of late.

Aston Villa in ruins as Darren Bent's season is over - ESPN Soccernet

Aston Villa striker Darren Bent is set to miss the rest of the season - and possibly Euro 2012 - after rupturing ankle ligaments.
darrenbentinjuredvwigan20120225_275x155.jpg
GettyImagesBent will likely miss Euro 2012, while Robbie Keane has returned to the USA

Bent, 28, sustained the injury during Villa's 0-0 draw with Wigan at the weekend, and afterwards boss Alex McLeish reported that the England international was "in agony".
He picked up the knock after landing awkwardly following a challenge from Latics defender Antolin Alcaraz.
With Bent out for up to three months, he must be considered a serious doubt for Euro 2012, which begins on June 8. He featured regularly for the national side under Fabio Capello, and was named in Stuart Pearce's squad for Wednesday's friendly against Netherlands.
Bent's absence represents a significant blow for Aston Villa, who are 15th in the Premier League and eight points from the relegation places. He has scored nine times in the league this season - Villa's second top scorer is Gabriel Agbonlahor, with five. Their most recent in-form striker was Robbie Keane but he has returned to Los Angeles Galaxy as his loan has finished, to leave McLeish bereft of options.

They're 8 points clear of the drop and they've got fixtures vs Bolton and Blackburn in the next few weeks. Bent was an important player for them but Abonglahor is having a fairly good season and if N'Zogbia discovers some form then they should cope. I'm not doubting that they'll struggle upfront but they're definitely in a better, though admittedly more boring state, than the other clubs at the bottom. (that said, it would be funny to see McLeish drag another club down...)

They've also got Wolves and QPR under them, neither of whom are even close to being safe, both in terms of points and in terms of stability.

At the end of the day, you have to look at the table and say: "Do I see 3 clubs that are worse than Villa without Bent?" and the answer, for me at least, is yes. They're closer to 8th than they are to relegation.

Hey, I never said I wasn't kidding, after GC's usual jokes about us it was only fair!

That said, the chance of Villa getting relegated is a realistic one, they haven't been great by any stretch of the imagination and that's with Bent in the team. Their last in-form striker is back in the US, and although Gabby was in fine form earlier in the season, he hasn't really scored a lot of late. And there also appears to be some unrest in the dressing room.