The Better Half - Plug & Shout Tactics

I have started using your flat 4-4-2 with Portsmouth and I am having good results. I managed to beat Arsenal 1-0 at home and held Aston Villa to a 1-1 home draw. But I am still having that old problem - scoring goals. Even someone like Ruud Van Vert can't score, whether from distance or near the goal.

Biggest benefit: I seem to much more solid in defence. Perhaps also because of the rigid philosophy?

Biggest problem: My main striker can't score now. He has gone 600 mins without goal now. He was my top goal-scorer and I was 8th in the table, so the tally was good.

I will give more feedback after I play a few more games.

Thanks for making such a thread :)

---------- Post added at 05:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

I take back my words - it seems that the tactic is working great against teams better than me but not against teams equal to or lesser than me. I have suffered a string of losses by now, including a 5-1 drubbing at the hands of Newcastle! :(

The biggest problem is that my team just can't score, but obviously the opposing team will get lucky now and then and get a goal. Even in one on ones it is failing miserably. I can't figure out why this is happening. Motivation seems okay. I usually have 5-7 players playing okay, 2-4 playing with confidence and one or two fired up, usually the Terraquista Striker.

Plus, what is up with the free kick and long shots system? I have had plenty of DFKs in the 30 games so far, but even someone like Rafael van der Vaart has failed to score a single one. He can't get in any long shots either despite having a long shot attribute of 19.

This screenshot shows the story of my attackers:

23rafaelvandervaart.png

And the two main strikers:

20tommysmith.png

9marianopavone.png

And the string of unflattering results:

portsmouthp.png

Any tweaks or other suggestions? BTW, I am not scoring from corners because I haven't become comfortable with it yet. I haven't changed any corner instructions, so I can't really expect anything from them.

EDIT: The Hull result was not using this tactic.

I am still trying to work out what is preventing my team from scoring. And all this ranting does NOT mean that I don't appreciate this work from TBH. It works for others, but somehow it is not working for me.

Last edited:
I have started using your flat 4-4-2 with Portsmouth

/.../

I am still trying to work out what is preventing my team from scoring. And all this ranting does NOT mean that I don't appreciate this work from TBH. It works for others, but somehow it is not working for me.

I have honestly not seem this problem with the tactic. Its not one that gets you lots of goals though and one the most common results is either 2-1 or 1-0 when one wins and this is probably where the problem lies. If the strikers are lacking confidence and the defence is not on top of it, then you loose instead. I have not tested this with any team but those that are perfectly balanced for playing a 442, using quick wingers and defensive Mcs.

Those that have reported back to me with good results are indeed those using better teams then pompey and perhaps it does not work for underdogs

Update:

Here is a rather good version of a wide 41221 that I have been using with Arsenal, Man U, Sweden and Milan

The Fullbacks are providing width, the DMC is a hardworking defensive player. The MCs are box to box players. The AML setting is for a player using left foot on right( i.e incorrect foot) and the AMR a right foot on right( i.e correct foot). These settings have to be tweaked to suit for players. The FC is th key in this formation as he is the playmaker.

Notice that this tactic have not ben tested with a team lacking quality and a great FC in a TQ .

DOWLOAD LINK

http://www.zshare.net/download/80568402626e4c31/

Please have a look at the actual settings
so that you now what effects tha shouts will have and not have.
As you see, the closing down settings are tweaked so the "retain possession or Hazzel shouts wont effect them. Neither will the play narrow or wider" as both the focus play and width have been tweaked etc etc

inst.png

FIRST 3RD OF THE SEASON

nya41221.png

Last edited:
Is this the one you mentioned to me TBH?

This is one of them yes. If you don't have a great Trequartista in the FC spot, you can change his role to Target Man instead( to feet). Just remember to tweak back his settings..

The other tactics that I mentioned to you are one narrow diamond using a TQ and one asymmetrical using the same creative FC

Edit; Some more information have been added to my previous post

Last edited:
This is one of them yes. If you don't have a great Trequartista in the FC spot, you can change his role to Target Man instead( to feet). Just remember to tweak back his settings..

The other tactics that I mentioned to you are one narrow diamond using a TQ and one asymmetrical using the same creative FC

What is the Trequartista again, is it the dribbly pacey one?

Which tactic works best as a plug and play on testing?

What is the Trequartista again, is it the dribbly pacey one?

Which tactic works best as a plug and play on testing?

He is the actual playmaker of the team. Think Ibra, Tevez, Berbatov, Rooney, and the mnore complete he is regarding speed and agility, the more leathel he will be.

If using a player like Carroll, Zamora or Carlton Cole, he should be used as a Target Man instead but with the exact same individual settings as in the tactic provided.'

As to what tactic of mine that is probably the best as a plug & play for a underdog or a "team under construction", then its the tweaked narrow diamond found here

http://www.zshare.net/download/805695192cdbb78b/

Cheers, i'm away for two days but will let you know how it goes when i get back.

Cheers, I really appreciate it.

I would love some feedback from as many users as possible on this one :D

Ive actually being playing a few games with the 4-1-2-2-1 in my winger save from MrHough and i'm 4 wins in 4 so far and counting.

Is that with Fulham or Villa, using the Fc as a TQ or a TM ?

No West Ham and i just left it as it was with Cole up front, should it be changed to TM and where should the ball be played, feet, head or mixed?

Just lost 1-0 away to Arsenal but put in a good performance.

No West Ham and i just left it as it was with Cole up front, should it be changed to TM and where should the ball be played, feet, head or mixed?

Just lost 1-0 away to Arsenal but put in a good performance.

When I only had Bendtner available as FC, I used him as a Target Man to feet. I tweaked his settings so that they stayed the same, so the speak, like in the below

tmplapaa.png

He managed to link up very nicely with most balls but when the AI turned form their flat 442 into a defensive 4141, he had no space to play in and then I dropped him( i.e unselected him, using no Tm or PLM) as Target Man and we once again retained possession

Edit: Notice that the these changes only spring form my assumptions that a player like Cole cant play as a TQ. Its possible that it can be done in FM and that a player average in intelligence and creativity will do great, but if it was in real life, one would probably not use his as the playmaker

Last edited:
When I only had Bendtner available as FC, I used him as a Target Man to feet. I tweaked his settings so that they stayed the same, so the speak, like in the below

tmplapaa.png

He managed to link up very nicely with most balls but when the AI turned form their flat 442 into a defensive 4141, he had no space to play in and then I dropped him( i.e unselected him, using no Tm or PLM) as Target Man and we once again retained possession

Edit: Notice that the these changes only spring form my assumptions that a player like Cole cant play as a TQ. Its possible that it can be done in FM and that a player average in intelligence and creativity will do great, but if it was in real life, one would probably not use his as the playmaker

Not sure i got that TBH?

When changin his role, some of his settings will change to. To ensue that his settings, like run with ball, crossess etc stay the same as when using him as a TQ, we have to set them all by hand.

The other part was about that its possible that Cole is good enough to be used as a TQ, I onoly assumed that the player needs to be really, really good

When changin his role, some of his settings will change to. To ensue that his settings, like run with ball, crossess etc stay the same as when using him as a TQ, we have to set them all by hand.

The other part was about that its possible that Cole is good enough to be used as a TQ, I onoly assumed that the player needs to be really, really good

Okey doke, cheers, played the last 8 games of the season with this tactic and the results were... Won 6 Drew 0 Lost 2 Goals For 12 Goals against 5

It looks like a really good tactic that produces realistic results, i noticed my back four are much more solid, although it may lack a little going forward, could be that i need a better striker(i tried Cole and Milevski) only 3 of the 12 goals were scored by a striker, although the striker had 25 shots in 12 games, which is not too shabby for a lone striker.

Look forward to trying this out for a full season when i get back and will do the same with the other tactic.

Cheers!

Great post mate, i got lots of food for thought.

Okey doke, cheers, played the last 8 games of the season with this tactic and the results were... Won 6 Drew 0 Lost 2 Goals For 12 Goals against 5

It looks like a really good tactic that produces realistic results, i noticed my back four are much more solid, although it may lack a little going forward, could be that i need a better striker(i tried Cole and Milevski) only 3 of the 12 goals were scored by a striker, although the striker had 25 shots in 12 games, which is not too shabby for a lone striker.

Look forward to trying this out for a full season when i get back and will do the same with the other tactic.

Cheers!

I must say that this save is the one I have enjoyed the most. I am currently playing the matches in full mode using the shouts. Its takes more time but as this is the last save before FM11, I am in no hurry

The latest tweak below is the one that I am using at the moment with my Arsenal side.

The shouts I use the most are the following.

To go more attacking.
- Either use Control or switch to attack
- Exploit flanks
- Play wider

To play more cautious
- Retain possession
- "tick" the playmaker box so that the MCright is the playmaker instead of the FC, to make sure that we don't give away possession so easily, keeping the ball further down the field

Currently sitting top of the table

20Played 18W - 2D - 0L 47F - 7A 56 Points

Testing the "narrow diamond" the other tactic did'nt fair well with West Ham i'm afraid.:'(

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

HaHa what a farce, won our 4 friendlies in great style against SPL teams and our first game was away to Fulham.

Absolutely tore them to shreds first half, they could'nt string two passes together, but as usual we missed 3 sitters, second half and they kick off, give it back to the guy in the centre and he runs through 8 players to score with their 1st shot on target.

We are still dominating and creating chances, but as yet cannot score, we then get a penalty and as usual we miss(only scored about 3 times out of last 20 odd penalties, whereas the AI is on about 99%) then to top it all off Fulham score a "freak" goal in injury time.

I know you dont like to hear it tbh, but this game is a fecking big joke.

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 02:59 PM ----------

Wish i could tell you that things were going well tbh, but i'd be lying, played 7 epl games, won 3 lost 4 and our latest defeat again sums up FM for me perfectly.

Away to Stoke who are bottom, winless and all out of confidence, we deservedly have a 2-0 lead and Stoke have barely been in our half, then...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fuller hits two screamers from distance and its goodnight Vienna, this from a Stoke side without a win and barely the confidence to turn up, yet somehow at 2-0 down and completely out of the game they completely turn the tables?

This is FM at its worst, it literally turns every game into a unbelievable story not even the likes of Roy of the Rovers would tell.

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 AM ----------

HeHeHe, very next game and again we totally dominate and walk away with just a point.

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

Believe it or not tbh i was actually starting to enjoy this save, its actually been nice to see some realistic results for a change, instead of winning/losing 6-4 every game.

Sadly, FM always finds a way kick you in the balls though, as represented in the following match.

Thats 3 times we have lost games like this and twice we have drawn making a total of 13 points dropped and its not even Xmas, we did nick 1 point though, so i suppose that makes up for it(even though we were the only side to create any CCC's in that game):mad:

The only real weakness i have found with this tactic is that the amc does'nt get involved that much and regularly gets a below 7 rating.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

How about this one...

Last 3 games - Shots for 66 - shots on target 18 - goals 0
Last 3 games - Shots against 19 - shots on target 6 - goals against 1

Speaks volumes really

Last edited:
Hey TBH. I downloaded your Narrow 4-5-1 formation pack from the site and I have to say it is impressive. To begin with the goals weren't scored so freely but now that the players are accustomed to it, it has been, well, remarkable to say the very least. Joe Ledley [I'm using 10.3.2 update as Celtic xD] has been a machine and I haven't been defeated since using the tactic [specifically, I'm using the Quick Counter one from the pack]

In short; even with an unimpressive attacking midfield, the tactic just makes the team as a whole look like gods, keep it up. :)