The Better Half - Plug & Shout Tactics

Testing the "narrow diamond" the other tactic did'nt fair well with West Ham i'm afraid.:'(

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

HaHa what a farce, won our 4 friendlies in great style against SPL teams and our first game was away to Fulham.

Absolutely tore them to shreds first half, they could'nt string two passes together, but as usual we missed 3 sitters, second half and they kick off, give it back to the guy in the centre and he runs through 8 players to score with their 1st shot on target.

We are still dominating and creating chances, but as yet cannot score, we then get a penalty and as usual we miss(only scored about 3 times out of last 20 odd penalties, whereas the AI is on about 99%) then to top it all off Fulham score a "freak" goal in injury time.

I know you dont like to hear it tbh, but this game is a fecking big joke.

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 02:59 PM ----------

Wish i could tell you that things were going well tbh, but i'd be lying, played 7 epl games, won 3 lost 4 and our latest defeat again sums up FM for me perfectly.

Away to Stoke who are bottom, winless and all out of confidence, we deservedly have a 2-0 lead and Stoke have barely been in our half, then...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Fuller hits two screamers from distance and its goodnight Vienna, this from a Stoke side without a win and barely the confidence to turn up, yet somehow at 2-0 down and completely out of the game they completely turn the tables?

This is FM at its worst, it literally turns every game into a unbelievable story not even the likes of Roy of the Rovers would tell.

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 AM ----------

HeHeHe, very next game and again we totally dominate and walk away with just a point.

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

Believe it or not tbh i was actually starting to enjoy this save, its actually been nice to see some realistic results for a change, instead of winning/losing 6-4 every game.

Sadly, FM always finds a way kick you in the balls though, as represented in the following match.

Thats 3 times we have lost games like this and twice we have drawn making a total of 13 points dropped and its not even Xmas, we did nick 1 point though, so i suppose that makes up for it(even though we were the only side to create any CCC's in that game):mad:

The only real weakness i have found with this tactic is that the amc does'nt get involved that much and regularly gets a below 7 rating.

---------- Post added at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 AM ----------

How about this one...

Last 3 games - Shots for 66 - shots on target 18 - goals 0
Last 3 games - Shots against 19 - shots on target 6 - goals against 1

Speaks volumes really

A 7 match unbeaten run comes to an end after this 1st half against 18th place 5 without a win Blackburn...

We are Wins 10 Draws 10 Losses 9 in the epl, but it could easily have been W 15 D 9 L 5 and thats being kind to the AI.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 02:25 PM ----------

Ended up in 9th place with W 13 D 13 L 12 GF 43 GA 39 and amazingly won BOTH Cup comps and as such qualified for Europe.

I quite enjoyed it, apart from the fact that we dropped close to 20 points in the type of games i've shown above.

I usually go out and make expensive signings 2nd season as i'm usually expecting to challenge for a CL spot and as such that income ends up paying for the overspend, but this time i have curbed my spending and brought in good players on the cheap.

Played Man Utd in the Community shield and led 3-2 at ht, but ended up losing 4-3 and our first league game was against newly promoted Newcastle...

2-0 down within 14 minutes and us having yet again dominated, an absolutely nothing penalty and a goal from a corner, although we did end up drawing the game 3-3.

Chelsea next and we held a deserved 1-0 lead up until the very last kick of the game when Drogba turned and shot from almost 40 yards straight into the top corner, decent result though.

Our first away game was against newly promoted West Brom and after the decent start i thought we'd have a good chance, FM as usual had other ideas...

We have just deservedly beat Fulham away and at home to Spurs led 3-0 before a headed goal from Defoe(got above my two big DC's?) and another goal from the corner trick, got Spurs back to 3-2, we managed to hold on.

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 AM ----------

HaHaHaHa, oh my god this game is so fecking ****, why anyone defends it is beyond me???

Last two games, first against a tired Arsenal(midweek CL game) my fully charged team is deservedly 2-0 up at ht away from home. They cannot get a look in past my defence, that is until Van Persie scores 2 "scorchers from distance"

Okay, frustrating but i'm quickly over it, or i would have been if not for the following game at Home to Man Utd. First foul of the game about 40 yards out and i get Upson sent off, then Giggs scores from it, despite losing and being down to 10 men we play superbly and end up 3-1 up at half time.

Second half and just like Arsenal, Utd cannot get in behind our defence and at 80 minutes its still 3-1 to us, then.......................Rooney runs straight through the midfield and lets one fly from 30 odd yards in the 81st minute..............3-2......................Rooney again does exactly the same move and shoots from distance and its 3-3. I'm freakin angry as thats 5 goals in a row all from 30 yards plus "scorchers from distance" and then in the last minute of injury time Utd's Biram Diouf emulates Rooney and its 4 fecking 3 to Manure and thats SIX goals in a row all belters from distance.

Its not like its a tactical weakness, the shooters are getting closed down as they should, in fact its a tactical strength, as the only option the AI has is to shoot from distance, its just that FM is such a ropey game that it HAS to be able to challenge by any means necessary.

Awful

By the way tbh, still a great tactic, i'm in and around the top 4, although knowing this game it could all go belly up.

---------- Post added at 07:49 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 01:48 PM ----------

Hey TBH, just thought i'd update you on how season two went.

After finishing 9th in the 1st season, but winning both cups, i was'nt sure what to expect from season 2, if the tactic was going to prove its worth then we would have to see an improvement in our league finish, i would have been happy with 6th.

Well how about this, top of the Prem needing just 4 points from our last 4 games, unbeaten since Jesus was a lad and full of confidence.

So what happened?

Why, FM of course.

I know you dont like to hear this kind of stuff tbh, but this game is as bent as a 9 bob note.

Now i would have been quite happy with 6th before the start of the season, but after what happened your left thinking whats the point, when you know the game can just trip you up as it did above and thats just it, what is the point? you have to play the game hoping that FM is fair and you know what? it aint.

---------- Post added at 05:54 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 07:49 AM ----------

Well, i started season 3 and was W 6 D 1 L 1 early on, but noticed a distinct lack of goals on our part, but with 2 more wins and 2 draws in our next 4 epl games, i had thought it just a blip and we sat 2nd in the league.

Then this...

Then finally a draw...

---------- Post added at 07:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 AM ----------

I know its not going to create as many chances as MrHough's tactics, but looking at all the other games played between the AI teams our shots and ccc's are pretty much the same yet other teams are banging the goals in.

Man City are 10 points clear and they are creating the same amount of chances as we are, yet they are scoring for fun?

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

I finally managed to finish season 3, something definitely went wrong here and if not for the early wins we would have been hovering just above the relegation zone.

We literally could not score, not getting outplayed either, but once the players lost confidence(i somehow kept morale high until last month or so of season) we were going to struggle.

In the whole season we scored just 36 goals, not even a goal a game and half as many as the previous season. After the good start we went on the following run W 6 D 10 L 9 and none of my 4 strikers scored in over 12 hours of football.

Believe it or not, i played through and decided to play another season, this was purely out of curiosity as i wondered if the curse would continue? i'd told myself i'd play 5 games of the new season and see if things had indeed changed? well so far i've played 3 won 3 without conceding, i'll play a few more and see what happens?

Writing this so that G ( hammer) can post a new post instead of updating his old.

Edit: If any one is interested, I have 2 new tactics that suits team that use one Winger and one pacey fullback. The formations looks like this

DL - Huging the touchline, cover the left flank
DR - suppoting the Mr
DC
DC
DMC - defensive
MCr - Adv. Playmaker
MR - Really quick player that like to both huge the line and get inside the box
MCl - Box 2 box
FCriot - The Quick RiotFC mentioned in my starting post
...and,..
FCleft - Strong complete FC
..or-..
AMCleft - Creative AMC/FC.

Last edited:
Last seasons League Table

This years table after half a season

We scored just 36 goals last season, yet have already managed 34 in half those games this season and i only brought in 2 first team players.

One tweak you could make when seing that the team starts to struggle finding space ( i.e when the opponents starting to flood the midfield, is to change the focus play to "mixed2, or rather default...and... tweak the setting of the AMC...
- Lower his mentality so its about the 2nd notch of normal
- Let him move into channels
- Free role
- Mixed in t-balls
Also change the passing of the fullbakcs to default ( i.e intick the tweaked passing) and let them cross to mixed

This ables to Fcs to find space better

One tweak you could make when seing that the team starts to struggle finding space ( i.e when the opponents starting to flood the midfield, is to change the focus play to "mixed2, or rather default...and... tweak the setting of the AMC...
- Lower his mentality so its about the 2nd notch of normal
- Let him move into channels
- Free role
- Mixed in t-balls
Also change the passing of the fullbakcs to default ( i.e intick the tweaked passing) and let them cross to mixed

This ables to Fcs to find space better

thats for me i take it tbh?

Because we started to struggle just before Xmas last season, i gambled and spent money on players in a bid to still qualify for the CL, well the gamble did'nt pay off as we did not qualify for Europe at all and now i'm £20M in debt, so not sure i'll still be Manager at the end of this season, despite being top of the league?
Thanks i'll try that!

Last edited:
There is also a new Deep 442 using a Strong target man and a quick striker. Notice the tha target man option is...optional. If you dont want to use one then just tick the target man box and select "none"

Shouts:

More cautous

Retain posession
and sometimes take a breather

Counter

Counter

Attack

Attack

Last edited:
four home games in a row without a goal, 2 draws 2 defeats, will start to use your tweak at home against poorer sides and see what happens?

Still 2nd and could have been top if not for dropping those 10 points, still scoring and winning away.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 09:27 PM ----------

Finished 2nd last season and wanted to know if what happened the season before where we could'nt score would happen again?

It did, only worse, every game played so far we dominated yet sat 14th in the league.

Last two home results

For this kind of thing is what i'll always remember about FM

Last tactic before FM11

This is the last tactic uploaded before FM11 and its also the first tactic I intend to construct after the 5th of October

In this flat 4411 we focus the play down the flanks and we use a Target man ( to feet)
This player really needs to be up for it as he not only function as the link player but also gets inside the are, seeking free space after having opened up the same for his teammates
The AMC behind him plays, or rather starts in the hole, before moving into channels and/or looks for space, roaming in and outs of the box. Both Wingers have the same settings ( move into channels, crosses rarely) and the same goes for our “non activated” deep lying playmakers

Download Link

http://www.zshare.net/download/815430971d68032a/

Formation

sistafm10foprm.png

Team settings

laginstru.png

Season 2 (although a realy good team, no transfers)

tablenr1.png

Shouts:

Attacking:

- Attack
- No Target man used ( select none )
- Overlap or exploit flanks

More cautious

- Balanced
- Retain possession
- Change focus play to default

Counter

- Balanced
- Tick counter attack box
- Play more narrow
- Change focus play to default ( i.e, when play more narrow its through the middle)

Last edited:
Last tactic before FM11

This is the last tactic uploaded before FM11 and its also the first tactic I intend to construct after the 5th of October

In this flat 4411 we focus the play down the flanks and we use a Target man ( to feet)
This player really needs to be up for it as he not only function as the link player but also gets inside the are, seeking free space after having opened up the same for his teammates
The AMC behind him plays, or rather starts in the hole, before moving into channels and/or looks for space, roaming in and outs of the box. Both Wingers have the same settings ( move into channels, crosses rarely) and the same goes for our “non activated” deep lying playmakers

Download Link

http://www.zshare.net/download/815430971d68032a/

Formation

sistafm10foprm.png

Team settings

laginstru.png

Season 2 (although a realy good team, no transfers)

tablenr1.png

Shouts:

Attacking:

- Attack
- No Target man used ( select none )
- Overlap or exploit flanks

More cautious

- Balanced
- Retain possession
- Change focus play to default

Counter

- Balanced
- Tick counter attack box
- Play more narrow
- Change focus play to default ( i.e, when play more narrow its through the middle)

Using this for my Werder Bremen side, should suit them well, will post some screenshots later of results
EDIT: looks good so far, just beat hertha bsc 2-0, lots of CCC! (H)

what is the diffrent with target-man box ticked and without?

what is the diffrent with target-man box ticked and without?

When you give a player the Role of a target Man, hs is automatic listed as your target man. BUt if you dont want to actually use him as one, then you have to manually tick the target man box and select "none"

Have definitely started my LAST save on FM10 using your new 4-4-1-1 and as such will give a game by game account on how the tactic performs.

I did'nt see mentioned what pitch size to go for, so i chose the middle one as the width of the tactic is more central than wide or narrow.

Friendly 1

Friendly 2

Very unconvincing so far, i'm worried this will become a very short save, we have Chelsea away in our 1st EPL game, i restarted the game 4 times, but it still gave us Chelsea away every time.

EPL Game 1 Away - Chelsea

Very worrying despite Chelsea only creating 1 ccc, we were pretty much torn to shreds, i'm not used to that with your tactics tbh.

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

EPL Game 2 - Away - Bolton

Reasonable result, i should have gone defensive for the last 10 minutes and may have won.

Great result, although the stats do tend to favour Arsenal, it was a solid tight performance.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 12:05 PM ----------

Just a quick update, will add a full report later.

The AMC as in the diamond tactic is basically unusable, i've got Carlos Eduardo AND VDV and they are hardly ever in the game, its like playing with 10 men 90% of the time.

If that position could be utilsed properly or maybe changed you'd be looking at a great tactic, as it is, its "alright"

One minute it can look great, the next your just waiting for another defeat.

I've often seen us have a chance at 4 on 1 on counter attacks, but the player in possession just wallops the ball 60 upfield instead of trying to pick out the easy pass to a teammate who could go on to score.

I, on the other hand, have had great success with this tactic! i have had a 30 match unbeaten run! and this tactic has helped my werder bremen side to pole position in the bundesliga with 12 games remaining, it is very very solid defensively, and my attack is enough to plow through any defence, have had 1 defeat, to schalke, which was very dissapointing, i had 10 shots, 9 of which were long shots and i never had one clear cut chance, not sure what quite went wrong, my amc marked out the game, wingers seemed ineffective.Overall though it is a very good tactic
Mrjack41 (H)

My game crashed(crash dump) and it led to my whole PC crashing and me having to do a system restore.

I was Won 10 Drew 4 Lost 7 at the time and things were not going great.

TBH - Sorry if my previous reply sounded angry, yes, i was frustrated with some of the performances i was getting, but i was still smarting from West Ham having a perfectly good injury time winner dissallowed against Wolves.

Any chance this tactic could work as a 4-4-2 with two strikers instead of the AMC? because like i said, i have two quality AMC's and their average ratings are around 6.5.

My game crashed(crash dump) and it led to my whole PC crashing and me having to do a system restore.

I was Won 10 Drew 4 Lost 7 at the time and things were not going great.

TBH - Sorry if my previous reply sounded angry, yes, i was frustrated with some of the performances i was getting, but i was still smarting from West Ham having a perfectly good injury time winner dissallowed against Wolves.

Any chance this tactic could work as a 4-4-2 with two strikers instead of the AMC? because like i said, i have two quality AMC's and their average ratings are around 6.5.

You can actually. Just use the AMC as the FCright as a advanced FC ( just like the wizard setting)

In my currect save, the AMC( Arshavin) is top of both the average rating league and have scored the most goals in the league

You can actually. Just use the AMC as the FCright as a advanced FC ( just like the wizard setting)

In my currect save, the AMC( Arshavin) is top of both the average rating league and have scored the most goals in the league

Well i dont know what to tell ya? only that in my experience with the tactic, the AMC is practically useless.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 06:11 PM ----------

Started a new game with Bolton, using a 4-4-2 with the AMC becoming an advanced striker.

Played well in the friendlies and had Sunderland at Home for our first EPL game.

The one thing i loved about this tactic was its strong defence, in my first season at West Ham as a 4-4-1-1 only 4 teams let less goals in. During my friendlies with Bolton this looked to continue and i was optimistic that the 4-4-2 would work, with both strikers scoring well in the friendlies, plus we were creating more chances than i had with the 4-4-1-1.

In our first game against Sunderland we lost 3-5 with DC Zat Knight giving away 2 penalties and making another mistake to give away a hatrick of goals, my GK also gave away a goal, inexplicably passing the ball straight to an opposing striker? We had actually led 3-2 after 50 odd minutes.

Game 2 and despite going a goal down early on, we went on to win 2-1 versus Blackburn at Home, although we di not create much.

Game 3 Away to Burnley and we led early on and dominated, only for Burnley to score a 40 yarder with their 1st shot of the match. We got back in front at 2-1, but Burnley were starting to create chances in the 2nd half and got a deserved equaliser, i expected a draw but in injury time a long kick from the Burnley keeper had Jaaskelainen rushing out to clear to halfway, only for a Burnley mc to lob him from 50 yards.

Game 4 was Away to the Hammers and again we took an early lead, only for West Ham to equalise before yet another defensive error put West Ham in front, we came close to equalising but gave away another penalty in injury time to lose 1-3.

Game 5 Home to Arsenal and in a tight game we led yet again going in at half time 1-0, another defensive mistake and a 40 yard free kick gave Arsenal a second half win.

Game 6 Away to Villa and we miss a sitter to take the lead in a game we are just about on top in, just about our best performance to date and we are unlucky not to ****** all 3 points in a credible 0-0 draw.

We've got Man Utd next in the 3rd rnd of the Carling Cup away from home.

No idea why moving an AMC into a Striker position can upset the defence so much, my defence with Bolton is about as good as my defence was at West Ham, yet i'm getting mistake after mistake, something that i was'nt seeing much of with the Hammers?

I wonder if the tactic would work as either a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-5-1 with 3 mc's? if you fancy setting these formations up, i'll give them a go?

1.) No idea why moving an AMC into a Striker position can upset the defence so much, my defence with Bolton is about as good as my defence was at West Ham, yet i'm getting mistake after mistake, something that i was'nt seeing much of with the Hammers?

2.) I wonder if the tactic would work as either a 4-1-4-1 or a 4-5-1 with 3 mc's? if you fancy setting these formations up, i'll give them a go?

1.) Basically because we no longer flood the midfield. I must confess that whilst I have used the 4411 with underdogs with really good results, I have only used the 442 with top "8" teams.

2.) I have tried using the 4141 but with mixed results. Once we get under pressure against an opponent that close down our wingers, we fail to cope with it and therefor it has only worked well with the top teams, teams that the AI rarely has the guts to play aggressive against and when they do, we punish them by pure quality. The flat 451 is a formation I am yet to tr and in my opinion, its not that a great formation as our central mids fail to find space.

Anyway, I am going to work on these normal , "non-exploiting" formations when FM11 is out

1.) Basically because we no longer flood the midfield. I must confess that whilst I have used the 4411 with underdogs with really good results, I have only used the 442 with top "8" teams.

2.) I have tried using the 4141 but with mixed results. Once we get under pressure against an opponent that close down our wingers, we fail to cope with it and therefor it has only worked well with the top teams, teams that the AI rarely has the guts to play aggressive against and when they do, we punish them by pure quality. The flat 451 is a formation I am yet to tr and in my opinion, its not that a great formation as our central mids fail to find space.

Anyway, I am going to work on these normal , "non-exploiting" formations when FM11 is out

I decided to try the 4-5-1 with the line of 5 in midfield(3 mc's) all i did was move the amc into the middle mc position and set him to "defend" i went from W 1 D 1 L 4 to W 14 D 8 L 10 with Bolton and that was just using the mc's they have which are largely poor.

Gonna have a little test with the Hammers.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 10:08 AM ----------

TBH, can you give me a nod as soon as you have any tactics ready to try on the FM11 demo?

Thanks

TBH, can you give me a nod as soon as you have any tactics ready to try on the FM11 demo?

Thanks

Will do although I think it would be wise do wait for the first patch, especially if it comes out on the release day of the game like it did last year

Will do although I think it would be wise do wait for the first patch, especially if it comes out on the release day of the game like it did last year

I just want to try a couple of your tactics out with the Demo, see what there like and what the games like.