may i have and the other version?(This is also a versions where we move the ball swiftly by using lots of movement):)

Its the same version. My point was that even that its a version to stretch deep sitting opponents using "retain possession" etc, it is still a version using s quick trasition, moving the ball swiftly. NOt by tempo, but by movement and quick first touches

I am going to complete this 451 along with the flat 442, all using the same approaches. After that, I will look if its suits all other formations as well

@BABIS

Here is your Control version for your Real Madrid side, especially made for Ronaldo in the advanced Fleft/winger position

If you want, I can make 3 more versions for you as well, like a more Overloading version, a quick counter version ( to exploit the space), a cautious counter version ( when you need to draw the opponent onto you) and a more Bog Standard version. Now, these version will not use the same formation and its up for you to decide if they should all be with the purpose to get the best out of Ronaldo or to get the most points so the say

Here are the pics from the first(!!) 29 minutes of our first match with the "Ronaldo tweak", this against a team that we SHOULD beat, just like most team you will face at home playing as R.Madrid

3n0y.png

k93r.png

ee1c.png

Now, for you that are not using Real Madrid, look at this post as inspiration as how you can get the most out of your team. After all, the key lies in playing your players where they do the most damage whilst still being able to keep a defensive shape ( quote from millie)
If you cant do this in theory, then your team/first 11 is not balanced enough. Perhaps you are using too many advanced players, too many dropping deep, too many dwelling on the ball, too many workhorses and too few player able to break the pattern :d

Last edited:
TBH, (very) small update on my career. Was able to only play 3 more games after that one. The main conclusion is that I need to work on a "false" control approach for when I'm winning. But let's see the games in particular.

View attachment 453338View attachment 453337

In this game I used the new control version you put recently. They equalize the game out of nowhere and things get a bit complicated but the quality of my squad took things to the better side: ours! Nothing much to say about this. Used Sigurdsson in the deep playmaker role and he did a remarkable job. Nice idea TBH.

View attachment 453334View attachment 453333

Here things got really really complicated. I was so lucky I could get the 3 points. They did more than enough to win and I was very lucky to grab the victory. It's in this cases I say I need to work in a false counter approach. I mean, a version to drag the opposition and exploit the space. Started this game with the high press version and when I was 2-0 up switched to the cautious one. Things got from good to worse. Got massively pressed (they play with 3 narrow amc's) and they could easily won. Eventually turn to the high press version and see the game out in the last minutes. I really need to work on this version. Maybe a more possession counter orientated version?

View attachment 453332

Not much to say about this. Played the whole match with the high press and easily won the game despite that **** striker insisting in take my patience out. Haha

The main conclusion, with the facts explained, is I/We have to work on a formation to push the opposition up and hit them in the space, I guess..

Indeed

The thing is, this is the difference between real life foootball and FM. In real life, a manager would shout to his players only, and only as a reaction to what he is actually spotting/seing on the field. It might be to tell the whole team to adjust their set and avdert to plan B or to tell the FC/AMC to revert their movement etc.

In FM - as most people dont play full matches or analyxe the stats during the game etc - its just guessing. If the results is ***, the it might be a good idea to YY

I do think though, that your team is better off - in the long run - playing a different formation. Have a look at the post above your to see what I mean.

When the patch is out though, reading the Me will be more logical. If wont say easier though, but it will make more sense

Last edited:
I am rather happy that this thread is up and running again and I think I will actually carry on this track, makikng approaches for specific teams as it the most fun :D

Now, I will give you the info regarding PAYPAL so you can make a donation to me ( no less than 1000 Euros, no upper limit though).
It will all go to cheese & wine and the better the cheese, the better the tactics. The better the wine, the more expressive those approaches will be ;D

Last edited:
Indeed. It's quite nice sharing experiences and promote the talking and discussion about the best approach to our teams.
That would be very nice! And what about some philosophies of some managers? I know I've said what's my favorite approach (Klopp and Mourinho, for example) but other managers I guess it would be nice too. Defensive tactics, tactics to see the games out (like winning 1-0, 2-0 most of the times) in an old italian way, etc.

Btw, I've the old "books" that come with the FM09 and 10. The TT'F and so on. Do you reckon it could be nice read those or the knowledge comes only with the experience and practicing in the game?

Keep up the good work :)

Indeed. It's quite nice sharing experiences and promote the talking and discussion about the best approach to our teams.
That would be very nice! And what about some philosophies of some managers? I know I've said what's my favorite approach (Klopp and Mourinho, for example) but other managers I guess it would be nice too. Defensive tactics, tactics to see the games out (like winning 1-0, 2-0 most of the times) in an old italian way, etc.

Btw, I've the old "books" that come with the FM09 and 10. The TT'F and so on. Do you reckon it could be nice read those or the knowledge comes only with the experience and practicing in the game?

Keep up the good work :)

In theory, the old TT&T are the same as now adn theye stiil make the core of the Tactical system that both you, me and the CPU are using. As long as you forget all about how a certain approach that made you overachieve worked in Fm11, 12 etc as those where so flawed/ full of engine bugs, you will be fine.

Just keep thinhs simple. Play to the strength of your players and use the players that makes the moest sense for every game
Personally, I always keep track of the coming 4 weeks and plan for it. If I have 3 matches in 10 days, then I adjust my set to that use the players accordingly, making sure that my lineups for each and veery game of those are optimal

As f?r real life emulations, I am not your man. I watch far too litlle top football for it.
Alsmot all my approaches - IN FM14 and in previous versions - are the same ones I have actually implemenetd in my teams in real life .

Hello again. After played some more matches yesterday, I'm a bit concerned with my squad performance. Changed a few things in roles but I'm pretending to make a more deep approach in order to capitalize the good players I've to AMC role. They somekind underperform in the MC position. But I'm gonna put them in support role to capitalize the speed and good off the ball movements from my strikers.
Regarding team instructions, I'm pretending to use the ones in your blog as well some from other tactics. Things aren't bad (I'm top of the league with 1 point ahead and 1 game in hand) but there's things I wanna change in order to get my players perform even better. If You have any suggestion please go ahead. I'm all listening :)

Cheers!!

Hello again. After played some more matches yesterday, I'm a bit concerned with my squad performance. Changed a few things in roles but I'm pretending to make a more deep approach in order to capitalize the good players I've to AMC role. They somekind underperform in the MC position. But I'm gonna put them in support role to capitalize the speed and good off the ball movements from my strikers.
Regarding team instructions, I'm pretending to use the ones in your blog as well some from other tactics. Things aren't bad (I'm top of the league with 1 point ahead and 1 game in hand) but there's things I wanna change in order to get my players perform even better. If You have any suggestion please go ahead. I'm all listening :)

Cheers!!

Yeah, I can understand your AMCs struggle to put in the tackles and keep their marking as Mcs. I think though that a Wide 4231 is perhaps a better formation for you.

What do you mean by wide? When I said deep, I was referring to 2 DMC's, 2 wingers (well, 1 IF I guess) and 1 one AMC. Or do you mean 2 MC's and the other same structure?

I haven't played today yet. As soon as I can play, I will show here my approaches and thinkings of course :)

@Jukilo, BABIS

TEAM TACTICS

Here are the kind of setups I am using. In these tactics, its within a "Broken" Narrow Diamond, using Wide Strikers ( FR/L). My point here is the settings rather than the formation. although I like using this one with Arsenal as Giroud is out injuried :d Naturally, you could use the AMC in the FC spot to, using him in a supporting role

thad.png

Disclaimer

These tactics shold be looked upon as inspiration. They are made for MY team, not yours. But, the framework can be used for any team, the differentg stratetegies and the team instructions

Last edited:
What do you mean by wide? When I said deep, I was referring to 2 DMC's, 2 wingers (well, 1 IF I guess) and 1 one AMC. Or do you mean 2 MC's and the other same structure?

I haven't played today yet. As soon as I can play, I will show here my approaches and thinkings of course :)

I meant Wide 4231 with AMR/L and MCs ( Deep is AMR/L, DMCs and the normal 4231 is with 3 AMC, 2MC)
I will be playing all evening as the kids are away :D Soon time for wine&cheese

Also, have a look in my post above for some inspiration. Mind you, here we are using 5 versions that one can pick from. For a team like Arsenal, I learn the team the Control, Standard and Quick Counter and only load up the others during the game.

Won 2-1 at WHL ;D

Disclaimer
The Control version ( no matter if its within my 442, 4231, 352 etc) produces a lot of corners so what I do is to set a player that i POOR at taking corners taking them and have my shortest players attack the posts. This way, we dont score too many goals from this bug

Last edited:
Disclaimer( regarding the post above)
The Control version ( no matter if its within my 442, 4231, 352 etc) produces a lot of corners so what I do is to set a player that i POOR at taking corners taking them and have my shortest players attack the posts. This way, we dont score too many goals from this bug

Hahah very funny your last sentence :D

Hope I can play some time today. Now I'm cleaning the house (mother's stuff!!!) but when I finish... FM here I go! :)

Seriously now, thanks for the suggestions. Will consider those of course and the ones in your blog. Specially to define for specific situations. I'm planning on make 2/3 standard formations and change accordingly to situations. Ex: 1 control to use with aggressive control and patient control. The other to use with aggressive counter, possession counter and cautious counter. Perhaps one to soak up pressure, like a really deep formation similar to yours in FM13 with that pack of 4-2-3-1.

Hahah very funny your last sentence :D

Hope I can play some time today. Now I'm cleaning the house (mother's stuff!!!) but when I finish... FM here I go! :)

Seriously now, thanks for the suggestions. Will consider those of course and the ones in your blog. Specially to define for specific situations. I'm planning on make 2/3 standard formations and change accordingly to situations. Ex: 1 control to use with aggressive control and patient control. The other to use with aggressive counter, possession counter and cautious counter. Perhaps one to soak up pressure, like a really deep formation similar to yours in FM13 with that pack of 4-2-3-1.

Depending on the team, the players and the opponenents, you will pribably find that you could use between 7-14 different versions. IN the end, its up to you to decide what kind of football you want to play. Like you wrote, you are top of the league with Spurs but thats just the result. Whilst the approach will probabkly see you win the title, it has to bring you some enjoyment to. So,just decide upon what kind of manager you are ( Pep/wenger/Big Sam/Rodgers/Martinez/Sir Alex MOu etc) in terms of philosophy.

Examples of version picking

Home to Liverpool ( using a 451/433) - I am Arsenal

I started with the Standard version and went 1-0, being in control of the game. After 20 minutes, Pool pushed up their defence and especially their fullbacks. They nailed us back after hitting balls over our high line of defence and then held possession in advanced positions Asd we where unable to play our way out of defence, I then "told" my team to exploit the fact that they left so much space behind ( use the Quick Counter) and we instantly scored a 2nd goal

. In real life, a manager would not totally change his strategy after only 25 miutes but thinklof it this way. " Boys, start out slow, playing cautious and probing and when I hit the button, yhou will revert to one of the apprpoaches we have trained and spoken about in the last months"

I'm totally the "old" Jose Mourinho. Do all the things to win but keep a clean sheet. Preferably win 5 games for 1-0 than winning 1 game for 5-0. You get my point. That's the way I see football and put my teams playing if I was a manager. Win by safety and get the control of the match. Ofc I like other managers and approaches (Klopp, the "new" Mourinho, etc).

But see the problem lies on putting all my ideas and knowledge about that to FM. What team instructions, player instructions, etc. In previous FM's I did that but now and before seemed a bit incapable of doing that. Training and the other stuff I know but missing that vital part :)
And I strongly believe that this could be a good project as seem that no one emulate this. I'll put this on tactics and, if you please, could you see if that is a good approach?

I'm totally the "old" Jose Mourinho. Do all the things to win but keep a clean sheet. Preferably win 5 games for 1-0 than winning 1 game for 5-0. You get my point. That's the way I see football and put my teams playing if I was a manager. Win by safety and get the control of the match. Ofc I like other managers and approaches (Klopp, the "new" Mourinho, etc).

But see the problem lies on putting all my ideas and knowledge about that to FM. What team instructions, player instructions, etc. In previous FM's I did that but now and before seemed a bit incapable of doing that. Training and the other stuff I know but missing that vital part :)
And I strongly believe that this could be a good project as seem that no one emulate this. I'll put this on tactics and, if you please, could you see if that is a good approach?

Well then :D

You want to play like Mou, but perhaps enjopy watching barca ? If this is the case, its me in a nutshell :D In real life, I like to/ and do coach my young talents into taking advantage of what is given them. IK tell them to exploit the space, use the space since its theirs. I tell them to play it more direct since as long as you put your heart into into it, people will see this and the supporters wont care if the play looked ugly at times as long as you won them the titles

When I watch football on TV though ( betwen teams I dont support), I dont get the energy from the players and the audience so here, I want to see the beutifull football :D

Now,as you and me are playing FM, we dont get that energy, that momentum of the adrenalin rushing. Here, you just have to accept the fact that playing the " Mou Style " will not be that beautifull :D

Almost totally agree with your post. The only thing is don't like the football played by Barcelona. Obviously I reckon that is a great approach in terms of building a project granted by valuable principles and in that way they've become one of the best teams in history. So, of course, they have great value. Simply don't like that approach :)

On the other hand, I totally agree with you in the case of "people will see this and the supporters wont care if the play looked ugly at times as long as you won them the titles". I don't care if I don't dominate the opponent. As long as I control them I'm fine. That's why I was so happy about that victory against Arsenal. Didn't dominate but totally control the game :)

Ok, I'm gonna work in bring this philosophy to my Spurs team, adapting to the players and circumstances. Will post here my approaches and tactics.

Cheers!!

Almost totally agree with your post. The only thing is don't like the football played by Barcelona. Obviously I reckon that is a great approach in terms of building a project granted by valuable principles and in that way they've become one of the best teams in history. So, of course, they have great value. Simply don't like that approach :)

On the other hand, I totally agree with you in the case of "people will see this and the supporters wont care if the play looked ugly at times as long as you won them the titles". I don't care if I don't dominate the opponent. As long as I control them I'm fine. That's why I was so happy about that victory against Arsenal. Didn't dominate but totally control the game :)

Ok, I'm gonna work in bring this philosophy to my Spurs team, adapting to the players and circumstances. Will post here my approaches and tactics.

Cheers!!

Please do :D, and dont forget the most important thing, your reasoning behind them. Without it they are just tacticfiles/screensnhots

BTW, here are my coming matches :d

15og.png

Last edited: