I can't get my CAM to contribute more than 5 assists and 5 goals a season in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Do you think I should considering moving him further back? I tried tweaking and changing his role to attacking midfielder, support, attack, enganche and other things but nothing seems to work!

I can't get my CAM to contribute more than 5 assists and 5 goals a season in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Do you think I should considering moving him further back? I tried tweaking and changing his role to attacking midfielder, support, attack, enganche and other things but nothing seems to work!

Hard to say without more info. If playing with crystal Palace and scoring 40 goals, then he will have been involved in at least between 25-40 % if including the "2nd assist" and opening runs, something that is pretty good . If its Rooney for Man U, without and 2nd assists or opening runs, then its poor.

Im working with roma and my attempts at your deep counter tactic

idont have a winger that fits the wide target man role how should i go change this?

You can change the role to a more playmaking type and the approach will make the same

Hi i use the deep 4-2-3-1 counter but i don't know what to use as preparation and training ?

Match prep: If you feel you need an upper hand regarding defensive positioning in the coming match, then use that. If you feel your best chances is by hitting the opponents on the break and win 4-3, outscoring them as you know you will concede anyway, then use the attacking movement. Etc etetct.

The normal training will have to do with your players rather than the tactic as such

I think I read in another thread that you've been playing one as Arsenal?

How did you play Ozil? Can't seem to get him playing well? Averaging under 7.0 ratings and not getting many assists etc

In my saves with them, he has been great in many roles. Just don't look at the ratings and assists/goals only. Sometimes, he has made opening runs and 2nd assists that has been vital but as that is not rewarded, his ratings and stats have been low even though he has been the most important factor to my results.

Hard to say without more info. If playing with crystal Palace and scoring 40 goals, then he will have been involved in at least between 25-40 % if including the "2nd assist" and opening runs, something that is pretty good . If its Rooney for Man U, without and 2nd assists or opening runs, then its poor.

I'm using Oliver Torres in that position. Here's a screenshot of his stats. He averages good ratings, 7.26 this season and is involved in a lot of the build up play, sometimes even managing 60+ passes per game with very high 90+ % accuracy but from what I can see, he's never involved in what's happening inside the box and doesn't really try enough through balls to get the striker on goal.
View attachment 462179

He has following ppms. Comes deep to get ball, tries killer ball often, runs with ball through center, plays one-twos, dictates tempo, looks for pass rather than score, tries long range passes, like to switch ball to flanks.

Last edited:
I'm using Oliver Torres in that position. Here's a screenshot of his stats. He averages good ratings, 7.26 this season and is involved in a lot of the build up play, sometimes even managing 60+ passes per game with very high 90+ % accuracy but from what I can see, he's never involved in what's happening inside the box and doesn't really try enough through balls to get the striker on goal.
View attachment 401767

He has following ppms. Comes deep to get ball, tries killer ball often, runs with ball through center, plays one-twos, dictates tempo, looks for pass rather than score, tries long range passes, like to switch ball to flanks.
Well, this player is not one that gets inside the area. He will drop deep and play one-twos, he will dictate the tempo and act more like a deep playmaker rather than an advanced. If you are performing well, he might be one of the keys but if not, then he simply does not suit the role you need for the AMC position. Perhaps you need a player that played more direct here, or one that moves it I channels taking runs for the team, or one that acts more like a shadow FC

The Better Half please answer - Wide Target Man in Deep 4-2-3-1 should have stronger right or left foot? And second question is - what individual training you set your players?

Last edited:
Since the release of the full game the good old 4-5-1 split doesn't seem to work at all anymore. Players are not exploiting space, I barely notice my striker anymore during the matches and I take alot of goals.

My team hasn't changed and I used your tactic with minor tweaks to win the Premier League as Southampton. Very strange indeed..

PS: even as I'm writing this I'm 5-0 behind against Liverpool after 20 minutes :D I can't blame that to bad form anymore, so I think major rethinkering of the strategy is at hand. I'll try my best to find a solution myself but just wanted to let you know if you could take a look at it :)

Last edited:
I can't seem to find The Split 451 in the link, only 3 tactics appear when I click the link.

Ah, I see, thanks.
I am probably going to play some FM tomorrow and them decide of I should use Counter as the main uploaded strategy rather than standard( with the same team instructions as the standard is using now so you can try that as well.

Since the release of the full game the good old 4-5-1 split doesn't seem to work at all anymore. Players are not exploiting space, I barely notice my striker anymore during the matches and I take alot of goals.

My team hasn't changed and I used your tactic with minor tweaks to win the Premier League as Southampton. Very strange indeed..

PS: even as I'm writing this I'm 5-0 behind against Liverpool after 20 minutes :D I can't blame that to bad form anymore, so I think major rethinkering of the strategy is at hand. I'll try my best to find a solution myself but just wanted to let you know if you could take a look at it :)

I would not worry too much about that now. The game will have some flaws under which some approaches will have an advantage and some a disadvantage.

In my saves with them, he has been great in many roles. Just don't look at the ratings and assists/goals only. Sometimes, he has made opening runs and 2nd assists that has been vital but as that is not rewarded, his ratings and stats have been low even though he has been the most important factor to my results.

Thanks. Might watch a full game and see how he's doing that way, might make me see better!

Hello ! Could you try to make a tactic for Arsenal ?? I have tried like 10-15 different tactics and changed the instructions plenty of times. A offensive 4-2-3-1 with cm's and a more defensive 4-5-1 for away games. Hope you can help me !

Hello ! Could you try to make a tactic for Arsenal ?? I have tried like 10-15 different tactics and changed the instructions plenty of times. A offensive 4-2-3-1 with cm's and a more defensive 4-5-1 for away games. Hope you can help me !

I am not at my comp atm, but have a look at the principles of the attacking version of the SPLIT 451 ( attacking) the Deep 4231( more probing counter) and the Compact 442 ( more direct and defensive )

could anyone help me with a 451 (3CAMs,2CMs) formation for my Southampton save?

could anyone help me with a 451 (3CAMs,2CMs) formation for my Southampton save?

Control or a highly aggressive counter. Why not let the outer AMCs move into channels and run wide with the ball. The CMs need to be more cautious, one deep playmaker on support and one CM on defend. The AMC/FC combo should be the one the suits the match. Against teams sitting deep, its better to use a FC that holds his ground along with a Shadow Striker and againt teams pushing up, an advanced FC with a supporting AMC.

The time when you want to soak up the pressure and lure the opponent upfield, then using DMCs is a better choice along with having the AMC holding his ground, retaining possession and playing slower but NOT more narrow.